Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    to be honest im not leet enuff to help you any more.

best to ask on a propper linux forum

you seem to be having a suprising amount of hassle with debian. i found it to be fairly together and worked well. how come you didnt install the WM when u instaled the distro?

ReputationRep:
    I used the same Debian that YOU gave me. I went through the setup normally. I had to install WM seperately. I didn't even have a source list when I installed. The only sources list was the security update one. It may be that I didn't go through the setup correctly. I've also asked on linux questions and they have been of some use as I got synaptic to work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mshar)
    I used the same Debian that YOU gave me. I went through the setup normally. I had to install WM seperately. I didn't even have a source list when I installed. The only sources list was the security update one. It may be that I didn't go through the setup correctly. I've also asked on linux questions and they have been of some use as I got synaptic to work.
    which cd's did you download? there are 14 cds for debian, and i used the first 2. the first is al the base components, the second is popular software like openoffice, gnome, kde i *think*

if you only got the first cd that could be why you are having a few difficulties

ReputationRep:
    LOL!!! You only gave me one cd image. If you can remember, it was you who gave me Debian 'cos I couldn't find it anywhere. You gave me the link to the ISO. Give me the link for the 2nd CDs image please.

ReputationRep:
    LOL

ok ok.

umm well its late im just about to go to bed but seriously, if you cant find the images on the net you will have a hard time getting on with linux :p:

remember, ix86 where x is 3, 4, 5 or 6. any of that kind of thing is the right kind for you

ReputationRep:
    Just RTFM.

man ps and man kill is all you need to kill and restart processes.

ReputationRep:
    i decided to install debian on my laptop!

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/6...eenshot1nu.png

i like my nice red/purple theme!

fyi i did a base install followed by apt-get install gnome xserver-xfree86 x-window-system-core gdm

i get a few errors on startup tho, but i think it will all be solved when i get it connected to the intarweb and can dl some updates

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Choad)
    i decided to install debian on my laptop!

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/6...eenshot1nu.png

i like my nice red/purple theme!

fyi i did a base install followed by apt-get install gnome xserver-xfree86 x-window-system-core gdm

i get a few errors on startup tho, but i think it will all be solved when i get it connected to the intarweb and can dl some updates
    Can you install more than one package with one line of text?
    I thought you have to do it seperately.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, just list em up and it does em all

ReputationRep:
    Sid? Very pretty, though I could never survive on that resolution

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)
    Sid? Very pretty, though I could never survive on that resolution
    u tlkin bout mine?

tis a lappy, no choice on the resolutoin. my desktop has xgl running at 1200x1000 ish. that is *pretty*

ReputationRep:
    why is ur file .png? did u use fireworks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mshar)
    why is ur file .png? did u use fireworks?
    gimp

png is a great format

ReputationRep:
    Strange ratio. Isn't it hard to get wallpapers for that res? I use standard 1280*1024 with xgl.

PNG is superb for anything that people used to use GIF for, and a few other things (like images with a better quality, but higher file size, than jpg).

Ooh! GIMP! I thought that you were calling *him* a gimp

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)
    Strange ratio. Isn't it hard to get wallpapers for that res? I use standard 1280*1024 with xgl.

PNG is superb for anything that people used to use GIF for, and a few other things (like images with a better quality, but higher file size, than jpg).

isnt png open source too rarther than the stupid licence jpeg is under

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)

i said "ish"

gawd

leik

what eveeerrrrr

ReputationRep:
    Sorry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)
    Sorry
    since when did u have neg rep??

tut tut :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    That's a very good question :s

ReputationRep:
    Was it you? ^^ It was post #54 in this thread for some reason...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: September 30, 2006
Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.