Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

interview question for IB watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    the answer is put 99 in one and then put just a red one in one. highest probability ever is 1 so one out of one is one. der is no need for differentiation like some folks said this is just 'logic'

ReputationRep:
    Ben: my point is that everything you say seems to be to let others know that you really know something. You brought up spherical geometry and then explained what it was. Why? As I said before, the problem was simple logic: the third step negates the first and it just requires you to think of how to effectively eliminate the second step, well, walk in a circle. Where's the high level maths? My Mum could do it. So into this essentially non mathematical problem you bring in an advanced topic so you can explain it. I mistook this for you simply assuming my ignorance of the topic and then you decided to go overboard on the cheek. Take it or leave it, I was calling you a smart Alec, but for your sake, not mine.

(Original post by talentless)
    the answer is put 99 in one and then put just a red one in one. highest probability ever is 1 so one out of one is one. der is no need for differentiation like some folks said this is just 'logic'
    The way you have phrased the question, isn't how the question is typically asked and a number of us had assumed you meant the typical question (because it is otherwise trivial).

Reminds me of someone who was asked '2+2' in an interview eight times and said 4, eight times. It being asked to test whether or not the person would stick to their guns... I mean, there are better and less bizarre/"stupid" ways of doing that. The trivial question, generally, isn't very interesting...

The typical question is (roughly):

You have two jars that can be filled to fit 100 balls. You have 50 blue balls and 50 red balls. All balls must be put into one of the two jars. How would you distribute the balls so that if you had to pick a jar at random, you could maximum your chance of picking a red ball.

You put a red ball into one jar and the other 99 into the other.

Therefore, 50% chance of picking the jar with the one red ball and a near 50% of chance of getting a red ball in the other jar.

(Original post by coughsyrup)
    <stuff>
    Feel free to wait until your interview when you meet someone who wants to push it all out as far as possible.

ReputationRep:
    are you telling me (sorry I mean everyone) that to succeed I should take every opportunity to let somebody know that I have a scrap of knowledge?

(Original post by coughsyrup)
    are you telling me (sorry I mean everyone) that to succeed I should take every opportunity to let somebody know that I have a scrap of knowledge?
    No, I'm saying... be prepared to be asked something deeper about a question.

ReputationRep:
    Some of the tricky *stupid* questions I was asked:
    -Name one animal that you would like to be and why?
    -In which division technology is not used?
    -How many traders/servers do we have in our London office?
    -If you were the project manager what production line will you take oil or gas?
    -If you had the money to create your own invention what would that invention be and how would you go about it?
    -Define leadership

ReputationRep:
    are these questions typical internship questions or for experienced applicants?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Singh_87)
    are these questions typical internship questions or for experienced applicants?
    The former...
    I would guess that experienced applicants, by definition, have what it takes.

(Original post by macro_me)
    -If you had the money to create your own invention what would that invention be and how would you go about it?
    -Define leadership
    Are pretty typical questions to establish how you think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olek)
    My favourite question of this type:
    Assuming the Earth is a perfect sphere, describe all the points where the walk one mile south, one mile east and then one mile north brings you to exactly the same place.
    Isn't the North Pole the only correct answer to this question? My reasoning is:

a) Obviously the North Pole works since any point 1 mile south of it brings you back to the North Pole if you go 1 mile North, irrespective of how far you walk east or west afterwards.
    b) As far as I know, there are no points that are south/east/west from the South Pole, walking in any direction is simply walking due north along a different longitude, making the scenario impossible from the South Pole.
    c) Going 1 mile south then east then north on any other point cannot return you to the same longitude degree, so any point not on a pole cannot satisfy the problem.

ReputationRep:
    Read my solution again. Ignore the one mile south and one mile north steps for a moment. There are ways in which you can walk one mile east around the south pole and finish up at exactly the same point.

ReputationRep:
    IB interviews:
    -Define leadership

Oil & Gas sector interviews:

It is better now..

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I just saw your other post on page 1. The circle one mile in circumference just north of the South Pole, with the corresponding circle 1 mile north of that makes sense. Thats a cool question.

ReputationRep:
    I know its really pedantic but could you not argue that the north pole is an incorrect answer as the Earth's axis is on a tilt and so wouldnt really work.

ReputationRep:
    ???
    I don't think so. Axis or not doesn't come into it, as long as you pick one point on the Earth's surface to be the North Pole and define North to always point towards it.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.