Are love letters cheesy or romantic? Watch

c0co
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
(Original post by Pretty Boy)
I agree - the whole 'romantic girl who wants to be loved act' doesn't ring true.

The girl wants what she wants - romanticism doesn't come into it imo.

Its good that you're not scared to say it on here because so many are.
All girls are different. If a girl claims to enjoy romance it doesn't mean that she would like to have a guy write her a love song. You gotta find out what she wants and go with that, although yeah it can seem weird that so many girls claim that they want a sweet romantic guy n end up going for the sexy bad boy types.
Aeris
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think they're cute, as long as he doesn't read it out loud. For some reason that makes me uncomfortable. If it's a nice note left out for me to find, it's cute.
sour stone
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
If you write them in Dairylea... or stick cheese strings to the paper and form letters with them... Then yes... they are definitely cheesy.

If you write them normal. They are cheesy, but it depends on how well written they are, and who for...
strawberry
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
lol I have one written in my sticky picture book. I love love letters but I never get them....well I've only had one boyfriend so that would explain it...:P
henryt
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Love letters are soooo cheesy, it's something you can both laugh about later, making it quite intimate and romantic
zany1000
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by henryt)
Love letters are soooo cheesy, it's something you can both laugh about later, making it quite intimate and romantic
they can also be very dangerous if your wife finds letters you sent to a previous girl friend and they are the same as you sent to her ps like the location
Angelil
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I send love letters to my boyfriend from time to time when I'm missing him (LDR). The first one I sent was a total surprise for him and when he read it he cried. So I guess it's OK sometimes
SeanC
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I guess I'v always been more a face to face person... I'v recieved a few and even drafted poetry and beautiful letters in response... never sent one of them though as its just not me to be 100% honest (I'm quite a closed off person).. If I'm going to be gushy and romantic I'll do it face to face, or at the very least in person. A few sparingly given romantic comments and thoughts are special.. overdoing them is not.
Ariadne
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Love letters are just too cheesy for words, particularly ones that spout poetry at you!
sssh
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It depends. If you're not in a relationship and are feeling cynical, then they are cheesy. If they're badly written, then they can be cliched.

I love letters, sending and receiving them. My boyfriend kept all the letters I sent to him while away from home, he has them on the table by his bedside and says that he reads them if he's feeling alone. My best friend wrote me some letters recently that were...interesting.

In letters, you feel able to write things that you might not otherwise say. When reading one, you feel closer to the sender, much more so than you could with an email. Handwriting is so much more personal, as are crossings-out, sudden slants in writing as they rush across the page to write down a breathless thought that has just occurred to them, and whether the letter was originally written in pencil and painstakingly written over in pen once the words had been chosen.
sssh
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Ariadne)
Love letters are just too cheesy for words, particularly ones that spout poetry at you!
Ok, maybe letters in which the writer declares their love for you outright and then proceeds to count the ways are embarassing. But ones where they get there in a roundabout way, ones which are more subtle - the emotion is in the telling rather than in the cringe-worthy direct declaration - are very special.

Are you saying this from experience, or from films/TV/books? If it's from experience, make some more literate friends...you might change your mind.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (66)
46.81%
No (75)
53.19%

Watched Threads