Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Entity)
    Just to clarify.

Saville wasn't a paedophile.

He was attracted to/went after teen girls (ie 13 to 16).

Paedophiles are attracted to children (ie pre-pubescent, ages 11 and below)
    Why was i negged for this?

I'm 100% correct.

ReputationRep:
    Why was i negged for this?

I'm 100% correct.
    Unfortunately people don't like being told things, generally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mimx)
    "I didn't make him sign the contract, I just said I'd punch him if he didn't."
    And who threatened to do anything to his headstone?

ReputationRep:
    I'm divided about the headstone thing, it might be better for him to have one in a less well known patch so it doesn't get vandalised though.

As to your second point, this case absolutely needs to be investigated. It's not only an investigation in to Savile himself but into the BBC, who it appears may have known something was up but covered up. The victims of these appalling acts need justice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buchanan700)
    I'm divided about the headstone thing, it might be better for him to have one in a less well known patch so it doesn't get vandalised though.

As to your second point, this case absolutely needs to be investigated. It's not only an investigation in to Savile himself but into the BBC, who it appears may have known something was up but covered up. The victims of these appalling acts need justice.
    Why take so long to come forward?

Sounds like they were waiting to take advantage of a liberal agenda so they could cash in on their unfortunate circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rlw31)
    And who threatened to do anything to his headstone?
    I just thought it amusing that you basically said 'it had nothing to do with public opinion, his family decided to take it down because of public opinion'.

Hence me posting another same thing said in a different manner quote.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Big Jock Knew The Beeb Corp Knew. :ahee:

Celtic and rangers fans will get this one.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by dj1015)

Sounds like they were waiting to take advantage of a liberal agenda so they could cash in on their unfortunate circumstances.
    ......................... or, savile had a history of threatening legal action against accusers and bullied people into keeping it a secret hence they were too scared to come forward. Many of whom are still too scared to come forward and be named.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mimx)
    I just thought it amusing that you basically said 'it had nothing to do with public opinion, his family decided to take it down because of public opinion'.

Hence me posting another swings and roundabouts quote.
    No, I said there was no public opinion about his headstone, therefore it was unnecessary and stupid to complain about the public "having a say" about the removal of it.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Just to clarify.

Saville wasn't a paedophile.

He was attracted to/went after teen girls (ie 13 to 16).

Paedophiles are attracted to children (ie pre-pubescent, ages 11 and below)
    He is accused of being a serious sex offender that took advantage of children, which anyone under the age of 16 are still technically children. Whether he was attracted to pre-pubesent children or post pubesent children is neither here nor there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rlw31)
    No, I said there was no public opinion about his headstone, therefore it was unnecessary and stupid to complain about the public "having a say" about the removal of it.
    So his family just thought they'd take it down for a laugh?

Or are you positing that they imagined the public opinion that influenced them to do so?

ReputationRep:

I don't know whether you have ever been the victim of sexual assault or rape, and I don't wish that on anyone, but it takes a truck load of courage to report it to even your closest family, let alone come out to the media about a much loved figure. It's exactly this kind of question that leads people to be afraid, because they probably believed that noone would believe them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mimx)
    So his family just thought they'd take it down for a laugh?

Or are you positing that they imagined the public opinion that influenced them to do so?
    His family can do what they like, they may perceive that public opinion called them to do so, but that doesn't actually mean there was.

Once again, no one threatened to take down his headstone, complained about it etc so moaning about the public opinion 'having a say' or 'dictating' what happens to his headstone.

Even if public opinion influenced their decision, that's not the same as having a say or dictating.

ReputationRep:
    Must admit, I'm wondering how many of these 'victims' are genuine and not just jumping on the bandwagon now he's not around to defend himself.

ReputationRep:
    The worrying thing about this is how many other famous people have been kiddy fiddling that we don't know about yet? This is only the tip of the iceberg. It was only a few years ago that some children's care home in Jersey was investigated for mass abuse that took place decades ago. A bit further back and there was the scandal with the churches. What else is out there waiting to be uncovered?

ReputationRep:

Why does everything you don't like, even if it's not remotely related too left wing idealogies, have too be "liberal"? What is this, USA circa Cold War?
    Anyway, Saville had such a huge sphere of influence when he was alive that it would've been near impossible for anyone to come forward and have their allegations investigated, or even taken seriously.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3 Phase Duck)
    He is accused of being a serious sex offender that took advantage of children, which anyone under the age of 16 are still technically children. Whether he was attracted to pre-pubesent children or post pubesent children is neither here nor there.
    I know that. *shrugs*

I'm just clarifying, that he wasn't a paedophile.

He was strictly into teenage girls.

He was indeed a serious sex offender, but not a paedophile.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3 Phase Duck)
    ......................... or, savile had a history of threatening legal action against accusers and bullied people into keeping it a secret hence they were too scared to come forward. Many of whom are still too scared to come forward and be named.
    He has never been tried and convicted for blackmail and never will. So what you are saying is totally untrue.

ReputationRep:
    I know that. *shrugs*

I'm just clarifying, that he wasn't a paedophile.

He was strictly into teenage girls.

He was indeed a serious sex offender, but not a paedophile.
    Yes, I believe the term is hebephile. Althoufh, this is for mental health diagnosis, not law. Interestingly, mental health diagnoses declare the perpetrator has to be at least 5 years older.

ReputationRep:
    I reckon someone who's putting out these 'allegations' are making alot of money by selling things to the media.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 12, 2012
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.