Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by birkstopher40)
    Haha, to be fair, Starbucks is a universal coffee shop.

And make sure you wear a helmet if you sneak up on me talking like a Valleygirl , Parrotman's right, I probably would attack you out of reflex hehe
    Hehe, you're right Starbucks is practically universal. I really don't think they'll be too many "valleygirl" types at St. Andrews. At least, I hope not.

In fact when I first went to visit St. Andrews in October, I was surprised I even found a Starbucks. Although to my disappointment, I didn't find a Marks and Spencers .

ReputationRep:
    We don't have Marks and Spencers in Canada. And Tim Hortons is way more popular than Starbucks and Costa (which doesn't exist in Canada either). But Timmy Ho's is crap; I much prefer Starbucks.

The American contingent is starting to worry me lol, but no Americans on this forum seem to be like that at all, which gives me confidence that they won't be the stereotypically rowdy bunch that they're made out to be.

ReputationRep:
    Marks and Spencers rocks, i'd imagine there is probably one in Dundee Bdarnell so you should be alright. Are you taking Economics as well?

I'm quite looking forward to having a larger American contigent in comparison to other unis. At least i'll have company for watching the superbowl. In return i'm going to have to drag them to watch an Arsenal game in the pub.

ReputationRep:
    We don't have Marks and Spencers in Canada. And Tim Hortons is way more popular than Starbucks and Costa (which doesn't exist in Canada either). But Timmy Ho's is crap; I much prefer Starbucks.

The American contingent is starting to worry me lol, but no Americans on this forum seem to be like that at all, which gives me confidence that they won't be the stereotypically rowdy bunch that they're made out to be.
    Well TSR isn't really a good representation of the St. Andrews 2006 population, so I do not think there is anything to be worried about. In addition, all the Americans I have met here seem quite nice. International student population is, what, 25%?

ReputationRep:
    I think it was somewhere around 22% with Americans being the vast majority of that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Parrotman)
    Marks and Spencers rocks, i'd imagine there is probably one in Dundee Bdarnell so you should be alright. Are you taking Economics as well?

I'm quite looking forward to having a larger American contigent in comparison to other unis. At least i'll have company for watching the superbowl. In return i'm going to have to drag them to watch an Arsenal game in the pub.
    Yes I'll be taking Economics as one of my modules.

I think the nearest M&S is in Edinburgh.

ReputationRep:
    Nice, so i'll know at least two people in my econ lectures now. Edinburgh is not too far to travel for clothes shopping so I may have to do that in my first few weeks.

ReputationRep:
    Course: Maths with Theoretical Physics
    Conditions: A.H.: Maths (A), Physics (A), Something Else (B), and that 'something else' will pretty much have to be Chemistry.:rolleyes:
    Current Location: Ayrshire
    There don't seem to be many people doing Maths/Physics courses on this thread... Maybe Mathematicians and Physicists don't like Starbucks...

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm going to stop in London for a day or two to get ALL my shopping done for the year, with clothing being the majority. Then I'll rent a van and drive up to St. Andrews

Though I wonder if it's a good idea to go on a road trip in a country I hardly know.... meh!

ReputationRep:
    Enjoy that! Road trip wise, well it's just miles and miles of endless motorways.

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm going to stop in London for a day or two to get ALL my shopping done for the year, with clothing being the majority.
    Jermyn Street is all one has to say.

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm going to stop in London for a day or two to get ALL my shopping done for the year, with clothing being the majority. Then I'll rent a van and drive up to St. Andrews

Though I wonder if it's a good idea to go on a road trip in a country I hardly know.... meh!
    Well, if you really feel like driving for 8 or 9 hours, on the opposite side of the road, with a manual gearbox, in a country you don't know... :p: To be honest, I don't think you can rent a car until you're 21, or maybe that's just the US's policy on foreign drivers. Maybe Edinburgh would be a better idea?

ReputationRep:
    Nope. It has to be London! I read the licensing details for a Canadian citizen, and I'm only allowed to rent/drive an automatic- so that makes my life at least marginally easier. I drove in Barbaodos (which is on the left side of the road) for about a month last year, and it wasn't so bad, so I should be fine. 10 or less hours isn't so bad, I'll prolly manage it.

Wow, I'm SO drunk right now. Jagermeister? It took me a good 10 minutes to proofread this paragraph until it was legible. A beautiful thing.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. It has to be London! I read the licensing details for a Canadian citizen, and I'm only allowed to rent/drive an automatic- so that makes my life at least marginally easier. I drove in Barbaodos (which is on the left side of the road) for about a month last year, and it wasn't so bad, so I should be fine. 10 or less hours isn't so bad, I'll prolly manage it.
    Are you sure you can drive in the UK? Hert'z UK website says minimum age for most cars is 25. http://www.hertz.co.uk/help/index.cfm

Nationalcar.co.uk says 21 minimum age.

ReputationRep:
    Course: Neuroscience
    Conditions: AAB
    Current Location: Sunny Edinburgh!

ReputationRep:
    Wow, I'm SO drunk right now. Jagermeister? It took me a good 10 minutes to proofread this paragraph until it was legible. A beautiful thing.
    birkstopher your filling us all with a whole load of confidence that you are going to be responsible driver on our fine and windy roads.

Congrats alibertine!

ReputationRep:
    Well at least if we see a car swerving down the scores after midnight and a faint flash of tweed we will know who it is... :P

ReputationRep:
    why do we pick on birkstopher? what goes around come around i suppose! so were in for it in september!

ReputationRep:
    Yup we will be, but heck I need my dose of crazy student life to keep me sane (or insane depending on your point of view).

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha, "a faint flash of tweed".

On closer inspection, it appears that I can't rent a car until I'm 21, but I may be able to get someone older in my family to rent it for me... though that's probably not legal either...

And yeah, a rather heavy dose of craziness is in due course for all of us in the first week of term. All I can say is, give me a bottle of Jagermeister and a 6-pack of RedBull, and I'll be ready!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 3, 2006
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.