Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naivesincerity)
    Oh, that's where I was...kind of miss it
    :rolleyes: if you were there I'm sure you would have know the local colloquialisms

ReputationRep:
    Oh, that's where I was...kind of miss it, although It was a pain at the time
    you were there but you dont know its local names?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    you were there but you dont know its local names?
    Well I'm English remember! You know how it is.....

I know 'auld reekie', but not 'Embra'

Where do you stay?

ReputationRep:

I know 'auld reekie'
    :rolleyes: what a stereotypical thought......I know plenty of English who know slang of different areas - Darren even knows some N.Irish slang (which is my fault but ah well :p: )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~*~ Tammy ~*~)
    :rolleyes: what a stereotypical thought......I know plenty of English who know slang of different areas - Darren even knows some N.Irish slang (which is my fault but ah well :p: )
    Yes slang I do know, eg 'Schemies' 'Weedgies' etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~*~ Tammy ~*~)
    My point was that the English up there sometimes don't feel so included with the Scots as do the Irish. Most would not know 'colloqualisms'

ReputationRep:

I know 'auld reekie', but not 'Embra'

Where do you stay?
    i live in morningside when im there. dont be thinking im posh and intelligent and go to UofE. i go to trampy old napier

ReputationRep:
    i live in morningside when im there. dont be thinking im posh and intelligent and go to UofE. i go to trampy old napier
    Well either way, it's good to be in Edinburgh. Great place. I just slightly cocked it up before. Morningside's bloody expensive isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    Well either way, it's good to be in Edinburgh. I envy that. I jsut slightly cocked it up before. Morningside's bloody expensive ain't it?
    im used to NI prices so everythings expensive - cept car insurance which is where NI gets ripped off. i dont own a car at the moment though the flat im in is a LOT cheaper than the uni flats so i'm doing alright out of it.

tis a nice city but it just aint as good as home.

ReputationRep:

tis a nice city but it just aint as good as home.
    Really? Most people there love it. My only reservation is being English in Scotland, if it wasn't for that I'd be up there soon as poss.

ReputationRep:
    Really? Most people there love it. My only reservation is being English in Scotland, if it wasn't for that I'd be up there soon as poss.
    i love home. edinburgh is nice, no doubt, but its just a big city im visiting out of necessity rather than choice.

ReputationRep:
    i love home. edinburgh is nice, no doubt, but its just a big city im visiting out of necessity rather than choice.
    nice way of putting it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dogtanian)
    Indeed. Is this people that live in Ulster? Because, yes, there are people there who, shall we say, aren't so keen on the English.

But that's the case in Wales, France, Canada, Papua New Guinea...
    I don't think you'll find a country in the Western part of the world which admires the English and the British in general than Canada. They're A LOT more anglophile than Australians or Kiwis for example, simply because many anglophones regret the loss of strong ties with the mother country and the slow americanisation due to economic factors...

The only place where it gets a bit confusing is in Quebec because to them "Les Anglais" (The English) are the English-speaking Canadians (who are probably only about 25% of English origin, the rest mostly Scottish and Eastern European more recently). They usually don't know how to react to the encounter of an Englishman. They usually just picture them wearing tweed and being all uptight but there's no real animosity there.

ReputationRep:
    Ah well, I s'pose I'm talking about English bashing as opposed to Brit bashing, which really isn't logical. Either you're for a united Irleand and anti-UK, or you side with England together with Scotland, and Wales. All this loving the Scots but hating us doesn't make sense, unless they're hopping on the Scots hate the English bandwagon, which seems to have not much basis really
    directing your hatred against the English allows you to deny the existence of the UK. If you team up against the "central" element of the UK, you weaken it even more.
    It's also because they like to think of the English of Oliver Cromwell... keeping that nasty image in mind allows you to justify your attitude a lot easier.

Oliver Cromwell was not a nice fellow but had there been more power on the island of Ireland and less on the island of Great Britain, we would have seen the exact same thing. That's what people did in the 17th century: the powerful thrashed the weak. There was no such thing as human rights. It's easy to claim that the victims were civilsed, good people. Of course they weren't. They were as much scum as everyone else in Europe at the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    directing your hatred against the English allows you to deny the existence of the UK. If you team up against the "central" element of the UK, you weaken it even more.
    It's also because they like to think of the English of Oliver Cromwell... keeping that nasty image in mind allows you to justify your attitude a lot easier.

Oliver Cromwell was not a nice fellow but had there been more power on the island of Ireland and less on the island of Great Britain, we would have seen the exact same thing. That's what people did in the 17th century: the powerful thrashed the weak. There was no such thing as human rights. It's easy to claim that the victims were civilsed, good people. Of course they weren't. They were as much scum as everyone else in Europe at the time.
    naivesincerity isn't entirely accurate but not entirely inaccurate either.

i know when the footy is on i support whoevers playing england but i'll often support scotland or wales if they are playing. its not that i dont like england or the english but there is a lot of feeling in other UK nations that the english can be a bit arrogant and snooty. very often i hear and see comments about northern ireland to the tune of "you cost too much" or "you're too much of a problem". this is where some irritation arises. for scots and welsh any ill feeling with the english would probably be for other historical reasons but i'd say on the whole very few people dislike the english. and i doubt very much that many english people dislike others in the UK. its mostly some jest thats usually quite light hearted.

same for other national issues. a lot of people in the UK would call the french surrender monkeys or call germans nazis or krauts. infact i know many people who do this, myself included. still, i wouldnt say i dislike the french or germans and if i knew any people from those countries i suspect we'd get along famously.

ReputationRep:
    and i doubt very much that many english people dislike others in the UK..
    Rarely IMO

ReputationRep:
    I've met a few people who I'd describe as anti-English.

It's usually a jealousy thing, particularly when football is concerned.

ReputationRep:
    I dunno about in Scotland, but if there was anti-celtic sentiment in England, it would tend to be in less educated people

ReputationRep:
    Oh certainly. And groups like the Scots Nationalists exploit those very same ignorant and prejudiced people.

Really, if you have a brain, you're not going to be a bigot.

ReputationRep:
    to Technik - Northern Ireland does cost too much for the rest of the UK (although I agree with your sentiments about English 'snootiness' , they think they are the hard *******s of the UK) - we do cost too much, that's why we need your lot (the DUP) to please God take this oppurtunity and set up an executive in the middle of May. I'm a nationalist but I'd much rather Big Ian, Gregory, Sammy, Peter, Iris, Nigel and co running N Ire with Marty, Gerry, Mitchel (and the rest of the lads) with a helping hand from Durko (forget the rest of the SDLP lol) and Reg, Danny, oul Slyvia etc than Bertie and them *******s from the PD's helping to run N Ire with a Labour Party helbent on spin and any settlement (and I mean any, whether it's bloody devolution or not) to the Northern Ireland situation. Common Ian, step up son.

I didn't get the premise of this thread. Northern Ireland people (do not use 'Ulster' - the UUC abandoned their 'brethren' (in Cavan, Donegal and Monaghan) in the Governement of Ireland Act (which proves the falsity of the Northern Ireland state - a Protestant State for a Protestant People) do not think of the English badly, only sheer rivarly etc. But Technik had it right, they are too arrogant in their place in the UK

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 17, 2008
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.