Turn on thread page Beta

Does the EU deserve the Nobel Peace Prize? watch

• View Poll Results: Does the EU deserve the Nobel Peace Prize?
    Yes
    43.84%
    No
    56.16%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Hmm, so fascism is on the rise in Greece, and Greeks are putting their kids in care homes as they can't afford to feed them, all of which is in no small part due to the EU's misguided ideals of "economic integration"...yeah, I think giving the EU this award is a total pisstake, but as others have pointed out this is the same organisation which gave the award to Obama (of all people) in 2009 so I'm not entirely surprised either.
    The EU have most of Western Europe to control and regulate so you can't really expect them to get single little every decision right. They're doing a decent job under difficult economic circumstances, if the banking system hadn't imploded (not the EU's fault) Greece wouldn't be in the position she's in right now.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it does. The European Union is a force for good. It is far from perfect, and needs a lot of rejigging, but we should be proud of our shared history. The European Union means well and has always tried to do the right thing.

A lot of opposition to it is simply bigotry, a lack of intelligence and one being brainwashed by the right wing tabloids. It is time in the UK we have a sensible and grown up discussion about the complex social, legal, economical and political consequences for staying in/getting our of the European Union.

But as somebody pro-EU, I'm thrilled with this. It helped bring together France and Germany after World War 2, it oversaw Spain and Portugal's transitions from dictatorships to democracies in the 1970's and so much more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nicola93)
    Yeah, tell them to stop doing that, then watch how fast that ends up in the European Court of Human Rights and gets overturned or something equally stupid.
    What the **** are you talking about? Really.

1. the point was some people claim blind benefits yet are taxi drivers. 2. blind people can't drive, no court would give grief to anyone not allowing blind people to drive

Seriously what were you thinking posting this?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, so fascism is on the rise in Greece, and Greeks are putting their kids in care homes as they can't afford to feed them, all of which is in no small part due to the EU's misguided ideals of "economic integration"...yeah, I think giving the EU this award is a total pisstake, but as others have pointed out this is the same organisation which gave the award to Obama (of all people) in 2009 so I'm not entirely surprised either.
    On the Greek part - Greece cheated its way into the Euro as mentioned before, their government created and allowed a system ripe for abuse to flourish. This is not the EU's fault. Now the only thing they are doing is expecting some sort of cooperation from Greece. Do you expect them to simply hand out billions to Greece and allow Greece to continue the way it is? If Greeks can't afford to pay for food for kids maybe they should take up Switzerland's offer and get those bank details of Greece in Switzerland, but of course then the Greek elite and leaders would have to pay themselves so they don't want that. Maybe they should get people to pay taxes, something people still don't do.

I cannot understand why people take the Greece situation and claim it as a reason not to award the EU the peace prize.

In addition, as I said above, there are very few Peace Prize who were completely innocent. The EU has been awarded the prize for the good things that they have done and the ideas they have promoted. Just because not every policy is good does not mean they don't deserve this prize.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Yeah, tell them to stop doing that, then watch how fast that ends up in the European Court of Human Rights and gets overturned or something equally stupid.
    Oh dear, someone doesn't quite understand the role of the European Court of Human Rights. No one has a human right to receive benefits, regardless of their situation.

ReputationRep:
    of course bloody not. rewarding the nobel prize to the whole eu... what?

the eu didn't create peace in europe, atomic bombs did

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolipanda)

Interesting point about the atomic bomb and peace. I would though argue that it was more important between US/USSR, rather than Europe.

ReputationRep:

The EU is a waste of time and money, it does absolutely **** all apart from ruining economies and enforcing laws that nobody wants.

The sooner it goes -and it will go- the better

ReputationRep:
    And there was me thinking that joining the single currency was a requirement for most countries except those that had specifically negotiated exemption. Personally, if I had become trade dependent on my European neighbors, I think when they said it was time to jump to the new currency, I'd go buy a trampoline.
    So you're saying that the Euro was a lucrative idea to Greece and they jumped to it? No **** sherlock.

Greece could have opted out at Maahscrict like Denmark or waited until their economic indicators allowed entry into the Euro. They didn't and they cooked the books and here we are.
    And yeah, financial mismanagement comes into play, but I saw on the news last week a woman who is probably dead by now because she couldn't get her medication. For how much money the EU dips out of it's citizens money (whether or not there's been any democratic agreements on our role in the EU and their power over us in the last 40 years or not), you'd think that such a peaceful, good union would be able to fork over a little for medicine, would you not? Because what the hell is more important for them to spend it on, MEPs expenses?
    Greece are forced to make cuts (they would if they were in the Euro or not), and they've decided to make cuts to their medical system. I fail to see how blame falls to the EU for that. The scope of the EU doesn't extend to funding countries healthcare.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James82)
    Seeing as the EU has only been in existence for 19 years I find it hard to believe. Sure give it to the signatories of the Treaty of Rome or the European Convention on Human Rights, those were the big post war agreements that bought peace to Europe, not the EU.
    The European Coal and Steel Community, the EEC and the EU are legally the same entity, so stop being factious.

The whole aim of the institution when it commenced in 1951 was to prevent war in western europe. From the Schuman declaration which announced the start of the ECSC:

"World peace cannot be safeguarded without the making of creative efforts proportionate to the dangers which threaten it."

"Europe will not be made all at once, or according to a single plan. It will be built through concrete achievements which first create a de facto solidarity."

"The pooling of coal and steel production... will change the destinies of those regions which have long been devoted to the manufacture of munitions of war, of which they have been the most constant victims."

Peace in Europe and federalisation was a aim of the Europe project since it's inception as a Coal and Steel trade agreement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolipanda)

Unless you're referring to a hypothetical war between France and the UK, atomic bombs wouldn't have prevented war between two non-nuclear European countries (of which there are many).

ReputationRep:
    You do realise that the EU embraced Greece out of dictatorship in the 70s and 80s?

Moreover, you do realise it won the peace prize, not the economics prize?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cannotbelieveit)

The EU is a waste of time and money, it does absolutely **** all apart from ruining economies and enforcing laws that nobody wants.

What relevance are riots in response to an economic depression to the peace prize?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

"Enforcing laws that nobody wants". That's just ridiculous. Do you have any understanding of the legislative function of the EU? The fact is, our executive regularly votes to pass the laws through. It's just rather easy for our politicians to pass unpopular laws through the EU, rather than at home, because people (such as yourself) don't quite understand the legislative process.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I think it does. Though the EU is not perfect, since the formation of the EC (now EU) member-states have enjoyed much more peaceful relationships. There has not been a war between EU member states since the institution was founded.

Furthermore, on the international arena the EU as a major global power has been by far the most diplomatic and moderate, compared to the US (which has thrown bombs around like confetti), China (which has basically gun-boat diplomacy'd their way around the region) and Russia. I think the EU position on Libya was completely wrong-headed, but compared to other major powers, it certainly has been a force for diplomacy and peace, both at home and abroad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Crash)
    What relevance are riots in response to an economic depression to the peace prize?
    Absolutely none, but you know the meme. Repeat after me: "Brussels Beureaucrats Baaaaaad Brussels Beureaucrats Baaaaaad Brussels Beureaucrats Baaaaaad Brussels Beureaucrats Baaaaaad"

Repeat until it becomes as automatic as breathing, and has as much critical thinking involved. Then put a big X in the box marked "UKIP" and buy a copy of the Daily Mail.

ReputationRep:
    Too many people overlook the good the EU has done because of recent events.

It's far more deserving as an entity than many of the previous winners.

That said, I should have won. I'm forever saving spiders from pussies that are too scared to pick them up and would rather crush them.

ReputationRep:
    The EU has enjoyed a remarkable period of peace and on the whole it's been a stabilising influence on ex-communist eastern Europe and the Balkans. That said, the last organisation to be given the Nobel Peace Prize was MSF. Comparable? I think not.

The main reason I'd disagree with the prize going to the EU, however, is that it is a powerful tool for helping those who need it. Is the EU going to be any better at promoting peace and equality because it got the prize? Is it going to face less opposition from those who oppose it? No, of course not. If the prize is given to pro-democracy or human rights groups in authoritarian regimes will it help them to get the international attention they need? Yes. More prizes need to go to people like Liu Xiaobo and less to Obama and the EU.

ReputationRep:
    NATO preserves European peace, not the EU.

Some people need to get that out of their heads.

ReputationRep:
    NATO preserves European peace, not the EU.

Some people need to get that out of their heads.
    This.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.