Turn on thread page Beta

Singapore Kopitiam watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knogle)
    How many is "lots"?

Fact: Cambridge only has 22 places for international applicants. That's awfully little.
    well. there's at least 4 or 5 i know. and from the cambridge fresher thingum i went for, there seemed to be an awful lot of medics. from singapore alone. plus there are people who didn't come. so perhaps that "official" stand was bent?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soonalvin)
    Came straight from the chairman's mouth during interview. can't be wrong eh? hahaha. although it's not really an officially official thing. chairman said it was possible. and upon meeting of several criteria.
    Hmmm okay, well yep, it's a possibility. How did the interview go overall, and when will they tell you the results?

ReputationRep:
    well. there's at least 4 or 5 i know. and from the cambridge fresher thingum i went for, there seemed to be an awful lot of medics. from singapore alone. plus there are people who didn't come. so perhaps that "official" stand was bent?
    That's really strange. :dontknow: Oxford only has 7 places for int'l applicants to Medicine.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm okay, well yep, it's a possibility. How did the interview go overall, and when will they tell you the results?
    went quite well, methinks. as it did for most applicants. everyone seemed jolly. i am not too sure about when the results would come but astar has lots of money to spare anyway.

ReputationRep:
    That's really strange. :dontknow: Oxford only has 7 places for int'l applicants to Medicine.
    maybe they gave more offers than there were places, based on the assumption that some people might not take up their offers due to financial issues?

ReputationRep:
    went quite well, methinks. as it did for most applicants. everyone seemed jolly. i am not too sure about when the results would come but astar has lots of money to spare anyway.
    Yeah, I heard they give out something like 40 scholarships per year. DSTA too. The two easiest scholarships to secure. :p: Gotta love research though.

Hardest ones would probably be GIC, PSC, EDB, and MAS.

ReputationRep:
    maybe they gave more offers than there were places, based on the assumption that some people might not take up their offers due to financial issues?
    Well.. maybe. Although from the look of things, they gave out far too many offers. Or they recently expanded their medical faculty -very- substantially.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I heard they give out something like 40 scholarships per year. DSTA too. The two easiest scholarships to secure. :p: Gotta love research though.

Hardest ones would probably be GIC, PSC, EDB, and MAS.
    nah. they give out 60. that's their official stand. but i think they're giving more this year.

ReputationRep:
    Well.. maybe. Although from the look of things, they gave out far too many offers. Or they recently expanded their medical faculty -very- substantially.
    maybe the quota was relaxed?

ReputationRep:
    nah. they give out 60. that's their official stand. but i think they're giving more this year.
    60? :eek:

You better receive the scholarship! That's an appalingly high number. :p:

ReputationRep:
    You guys, I'm curious about something. When I first came to singapore right, (we're talking jan 2004 here) and was shoved into AJ by a random computer process by moe, I was horrified by all the orientations and stuff. I mean, is it the same everywhere in other jcs as well? Do you guys happily allow yourselves to sit in circles with 20 odd people for a full week doing all sorts of weird excuses-for-games and mass cheers until your lungs reach bursting point and do stupid line dancing?

Not meaning to offend anyone who actually enjoys all this, but I realy failed to (a) enjoy it (b) gain anything from it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by feanor_telamon)
    You guys, I'm curious about something. When I first came to singapore right, (we're talking jan 2004 here) and was shoved into AJ by a random computer process by moe, I was horrified by all the orientations and stuff. I mean, is it the same everywhere in other jcs as well? Do you guys happily allow yourselves to sit in circles with 20 odd people for a full week doing all sorts of weird excuses-for-games and mass cheers until your lungs reach bursting point and do stupid line dancing?

Not meaning to offend anyone who actually enjoys all this, but I realy failed to (a) enjoy it (b) gain anything from it.
    Pretty much, yes. If you actually bother to mix around and adopt a positive attitude, you would have definitely enjoyed it.

Universities in Singapore play similar, if not more extreme games. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much, yes. If you actually bother to mix around and adopt a positive attitude, you would have definitely enjoyed it.

Universities in Singapore play similar, if not more extreme games. :p:
    Well... I tried first time round and it was fine. Something weird but unique. Then came orientation 2, and guitar club orientation and current affairs club orientation and oratorical society orientation and hostel orientation and scholars' orientation and god knows how many more.

:mad:

ReputationRep:
    Orientation 2, in most JCs, is a joke. :p:

Many people skip it anyway (or at least try to).

Orientation 1 on the other hand is when people dive straight in and immediately form new ties of friendship. :love:

ReputationRep:
    who here's going to imperial this yr?

ReputationRep:
    @ knogle... well, you must understand i was a stranger in a strange land then. Skipping wasn't so easy. Also, only two people from my O1 group were left in AJ after 2nd intake.

@ myriadguy

Its my insurance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by feanor_telamon)
    @ knogle... well, you must understand i was a stranger in a strange land then. Skipping wasn't so easy. Also, only two people from my O1 group were left in AJ after 2nd intake.

@ myriadguy

Its my insurance.
    Yeah, I perfectly understand how hard it must be for foreigners to fit in and adapt at times.

Oh, and have you not received your 'A' level results?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I perfectly understand how hard it must be for foreigners to fit in and adapt at times.

Oh, and have you not received your 'A' level results?
    Yes, I have. But Cambridge wants me to take STEP Papers in June.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, why do people have to take those STEP papers, and others don't? Did you take any 'S' papers?

ReputationRep:
    wad are STEP papers?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.