Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chocolatecheese)

and the most daftest one i've had from a few people has been ...wow i heard you go an offer from oxford....are you going to accept it....
    i stand there thinking "nooo im not going to accept it....i put myself through the whole application process for a bit of fun to see if i could get in, but i don't like it really, so yeah, im gona say no to oxford..." ...but my actual reply is less sarcastic...something along the lines of "HELL YEAH!"
    Actually that would probably have irritated me a lot less - I got sick of everyone assuming I was going to go when I was perfectly aware I wanted to go to Warwick

ReputationRep:
    Hmm okay this actually JUST happened. Not verbatim but you get the idea.

Friend: I heard you got into Oxford!
    Me: Yep
    Friend: So how did you get in?
    Me: Umm what do you mean?
    Friend: You didn't take any S Papers (AEAs as they're known in the UK)..
    Me: Yeah I was very surprised myself..it isn't common but there were the interviews and written test after all.
    Friend: You bought your way in, didn't you?

:mad: :eek: :confused: :grr:

Initially I wanted to punch him (this was over the phone though so I ran out of luck :P). Of course, I reckon he was just jealous/amazed or simply in a state of disbelief, which I can perfecly understand why.

I still love him though! :gthumb: :champ: :tsr:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophisti_kate)
    ^ I know, everyone I seemed to make friends with didn't get an offer!
    Ditto, met lots of girls applying for maths and medicine who were really sweet and we had a great time together during interviews, and out of about 10, only 1 got in!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Che!)
    Actually, one great uncle even said to my Dad, "What do you think of Wadham; I mean, it's no Christ Church or Merton, is it?" Cheek!
    I had the same thing in reverse. When I told a relative I'd been made an offer from Merton he got really snobby and said 'Oh, that would be one of the newer colleges would it?'. Not quite...

ReputationRep:
    before i got my results last year, i was convinced that i was going to fail my history a-level, so i had to say "my first choice is oxford... but i'm probably not going to make the grades, so bristol." (i did actually make the grades in the end). i think everyone has that kind of fear thing going on. as far as missing your offer goes, i think it depends on the college, the course, and the grades you get. there are 7 people on my course in my year, for example, but there were supposed to be 9: two people apparently missed the grades by enough that they lost their places, and i don't think it was something that the college expected to happen. i guess it all just depends on the circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    I'm one of those people who missed their grades by enough to not take up my place...hello! *waves with glee*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redshoes4)
    maybe not so daft- i was seriously considering not accepting oxford as i wasnt sure about the course and college- but am prob going now. also why not just apply to see if you could get in, some ppl like a challege. but i do know that one girl in my year has not accepted an offer from oxford.
    yeah i see your point...but like Manellowzworth said...
    (Original post by Manellowzworth)
    Not accepting is fair enough redshoes but I think it also depends on the tone of the "are you accepting question?". Rarely is it genuine, because the average person doesnt give a cr*p about your dilemmas (particularly if they feel you may be sympathy-seeking with an oxbridge offer). Generally, its the obnoxious "do you really want to go to a place like that" are you accepting question.
    ...it's the obnoxious tone people ask it in that makes it daft :p:

ReputationRep:
    i was talking with this girl, who isn't really much of an academic, but sweet. We were talking about what each of us was going to do next year, she was going to do some foundation course, i said i was going to university:

me: yeah, i'm really excited, it sounds great, and plus, the college i'm going to looks a bit like a castle. (i could have sworn i had said oxford, but unfortunately i didn't)
    her: really? what uni are you going too?
    me: ..... oxford
    her: you mean like oxford university, that old one?
    me: uh, yeah
    her: (she just stares at me for like a whole minute with a look of disbelief)
    her: .... what are you going to study
    me: physics
    her: wow you must be super intelligent, are you going to be one of those people who works in a lab all day and never talks to anyone because you're so intelligent? you're too smart for people
    me: ..... uh, no... what??

i swear that is what she said word for word, needless to say i felt really embarrassed at that.

ReputationRep:
    ^ funny though! I had a really fun time rubbing my offer in the face of a quite intelligent, but utterly arrogant prat of a boy and seeing the rage boil becuase he didn't get an offer hehe...

ReputationRep:
    ^ funny though! I had a really fun time rubbing my offer in the face of a quite intelligent, but utterly arrogant prat of a boy and seeing the rage boil hehe...
    Does that not make you equally arrogant?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    no, ok perhaps I was slightly exaggerating at rubbing my offer in, I was actually just chatting normally about where we all were going ... hehe

ReputationRep:
    ^ funny though! I had a really fun time rubbing my offer in the face of a quite intelligent, but utterly arrogant prat of a boy and seeing the rage boil becuase he didn't get an offer hehe...
    priceless!:p:

ReputationRep:
    I thought so... !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Pink)
    i was talking with this girl, who isn't really much of an academic, but sweet. We were talking about what each of us was going to do next year, she was going to do some foundation course, i said i was going to university:

me: yeah, i'm really excited, it sounds great, and plus, the college i'm going to looks a bit like a castle. (i could have sworn i had said oxford, but unfortunately i didn't)
    her: really? what uni are you going too?
    me: ..... oxford
    her: you mean like oxford university, that old one?
    me: uh, yeah
    her: (she just stares at me for like a whole minute with a look of disbelief)
    her: .... what are you going to study
    me: physics
    her: wow you must be super intelligent, are you going to be one of those people who works in a lab all day and never talks to anyone because you're so intelligent? you're too smart for people
    me: ..... uh, no... what??

i swear that is what she said word for word, needless to say i felt really embarrassed at that.
    Yeah, I've had that one many a time. I don't know what it is about physics at Oxford but they seem to think we are completely unapproachable and *obviously* super intelligent... when in reality im as dim-witted as the next person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F1 fanatic)
    ... when in reality im as dim-witted as the next person ...
    We can tell.

Just kidding! :p: :rofl: :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Well come on tell me you haven't met some Oxford physisists who are like that... I could name a few - well physics or mathmos

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I've had that one many a time. I don't know what it is about physics at Oxford but they seem to think we are completely unapproachable and *obviously* super intelligent... when in reality im as dim-witted as the next person.
    at oxford of course :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knogle)
    We can tell.

Just kidding! :p: :rofl: :hugs:
    :rofl: thanks for the support :p:... appreciated :hugs:

Chocolatecheese --> you can be academically bright and still do and say some ridiculously daft and stupid things.

ReputationRep:
    :rofl: thanks for the support :p:... appreciated :hugs:

Chocolatecheese --> you can be academically bright and still do and say some ridiculously daft and stupid things.
    :knuddel:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bekaboo)
    Well come on tell me you haven't met some Oxford physisists who are like that... I could name a few - well physics or mathmos
    hmmm to some degree... We're not as bad as the reputation would suggest. I wouldn't say there were many people who were completely unapproachable and never speak to anyone. Its true that we tend to shut ourselves off from the other subjects a little, partly because of the fact our subject segregates us somewhat from everyone else... no-one understands it!

Of course there are super-intelligent physicists... my tutorial partner to name but one, but its not a given just because you do a physics degree at Oxford :p: I wish it was!!!

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.