Identifying genres Watch

so_this_is_sam
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i only like Naive think thats a great song!
=nuke=
Badges: 11
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Syntax)
And I actually quite like The Kooks, while also being well aware that they're fairly.. commercial
Yeah, a lot of the music people label as 'alternative' has made it into the Top 40 (even the Top 10 in The Kooks' case). So... alternative doesn't really mean a lot.
so_this_is_sam
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
agreed there
The Green Manalishi
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I also thought alternative was like a place for bands that don't really fit into another genre. Except for bands that clearly don't gel with the alternative genre. For example a band like Children of Bodom can't be classed as a specific type of metal, but it certainly doesn't gel with alternative bands either so i choose to use subgenres there like power progressive or something. Either way, i dont think someone should judge a band on genre alone.
Angelica
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
This is exactly why I hate labelling. Their definitions change from one day to the next and from person to person.

The word "indie" is short for independant and indie music is supposed to be music by bands that are on independant labels. However, most bands that are considered indie now are quite mainstream which kinda defeats the point of calling them "indie."

Alternative is usually just a term that people seem to give to bands that don't fit into any other genre. Everyone I know seems to have a completely different view of what alternative is.

I've stopped trying to understand the different labels . It's all rock to me :p:
The Green Manalishi
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Angelica)
I've stopped trying to understand the different labels . It's all rock to me :p:
I think there's a whole load more proper classification than you think/ imply. I mean, someone would never class a band like Cannibal Corpse (death metal) as alternative, instead they may make the mistake of classing them as black metal. So i think that it serves as some indication (for someone looking for a band in a certain genre) but may not always be 100% correct due to overlap of genres.
=nuke=
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Angelica)
The word "indie" is short for independant and indie music is supposed to be music by bands that are on independant labels. However, most bands that are considered indie now are quite mainstream which kinda defeats the point of calling them "indie."
Exactly what I said.

Alternative is usually just a term that people seem to give to bands that don't fit into any other genre. Everyone I know seems to have a completely different view of what alternative is.
I'm sure these bands would fit into other genres but people can't be bothered to learn all the labels and end up calling bands 'alternative' when they're not an alternative to... anything, really. :p:

Even Girls Aloud? :eek: Hehehe.
cappucino07
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Here's a simple one for you...

indie = guff

So, if it's guff it's indie, and if it's indie it's guff.

Quite simple really.

Alternative way of pronouncing "indie" = insipid NME tosh for utter twunts that have nothing better to do than listen to everything by Pete Doherty on repeat
Damdam
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
morgangills 1-0 indie kids
=nuke=
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by morgangills)
Alternative way of pronouncing "indie" = insipid NME tosh for utter twunts that have nothing better to do than listen to everything by Pete Doherty on repeat
I sometimes have Up The Bracket on loop.
Syntax
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by n u c l e a r b u d d h a)
I sometimes have Up The Bracket on loop.
Me too. I am just as content listening to typical indie-scenester "guff" as a good bit of Photek, or Danger Mouse and JM, or Amadou & Mariam... whatever really. And I am not ashamed!!
=nuke=
Report 12 years ago
Not ashamed? You should be ashamed of yourself.

:p:
Decent_Jam
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I get the impression Alternative refers to all stuff which is you know...alternative (duh!) to the norm, including stuff, here's my ideas about genres:

Indie: The Killers (most 'The' bands actually), Hundred Reasons, The Music, 22-20s
Pop/rock: Placebo, Feeder, Darkness (curse them) for UK and The Datsuns and Audioslave for the US
Pop-Punk: blink 182, Green Day, Simple Plan
Punk/rock: Old Green Day, err...someone help me out, oh Rancid
Classic Punk: The Clash, The Ramones, The Undertones
Classic Rock: Easily classified, Led Zep, Deep Purple, Queen, Sabbath etc.
Ska-punk: Less Than Jake, NOFX
Electronica: Darft Punk
Dance/rock (if it even exists as a genre):Prodigy, Kasabian
Emo: Finch, I dunno ne others I don't like it much
Pop-emo (oh you know what I mean): Fightstar, MCR, FOB

Obviously people will disagree....so go ahead...
=nuke=
Report 12 years ago
I'd disagree with the indie part because those bands are on major labels but the meaning of the word has nothing to do with that anymore, it seems, so... I won't. :p:
Decent_Jam
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
For me Indie is all about Hi-hat related rhythm, Franz, The Killers, The Music n all...thats just me though, I personally think The Music are brill
The Green Manalishi
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I disagree with the Darkness being pop/rock and audioslave. I think pop rock is typically Robbie Williams-esque artists. Also The Darkness would be glam rock and Audioslave would just be figgin damn good!
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by n u c l e a r b u d d h a)
I'm sure these bands would fit into other genres but people can't be bothered to learn all the labels and end up calling bands 'alternative' when they're not an alternative to... anything, really. :p:

Even Girls Aloud? :eek: Hehehe.
Except, perhaps, music; as in the case of the above-mentioned.
=nuke=
Report 12 years ago
Ahhh, I see what you did there.
cappucino07
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yeah how on Earth are Audioslave pop-rock?

In the sense that they are popular...and rock, but the definition "pop-rock" doesn't really mean that now does it?
=nuke=
Report 12 years ago
What on earth is pop-rock?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (52)
29.71%
No - I got the required grades (101)
57.71%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (22)
12.57%

Watched Threads