Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Confused about waist sizes watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amie)
    You are too funny. Seriously, kid, grow up.
    You like your own advice so much? Well why don't you use it and check out your own backyard before you start insulting anyone elses?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elements)
    After I've finished typing up this post, I'm going to walk away from all of this as it does require a bigger person to do so.
    Bigger person, eh?

ReputationRep:
    I know that it's not just Topshop that does it; New Look is bad too and GAP is even more notorious.
    I don't understand. If most shops do it, then how are you supposed to know what your real size is? In fact, does it even matter? If I get a 10 in every shop I go to, does it make any sense to say that my size is really a 12 but all my clothes are 'fakely' 10s?

ReputationRep:
    Again, don't tell me what to do. You can stick your comments where the Sun doesn't shine because that is what they are tbh. To the bold bit, you are a hypocrite. I have plenty of friends and I'm well respected by ppl whom matter. I have a better outlook on life than you and when I want to take the advice, as I have already listened to it, from stupid *****es like yourself and amie then I'll let you know about it! I'd rather be me than you lot any day!
    Yeah well so's your face (that's me bringing myself down to your level btw).

Obviously now that you have pointed out you have friends, called me a ***** and assured me that you have a better outlook on live than I do (how you know that I don't know). I realise that everything you have said has been 100% correct, you are a genius. I am just a crazy mixed up fool, as is Amie. Wow I am glad you have enlightened me (Normally I would not feel the need to point the following out, but in your case I feel it is necessary:THAT WAS SARCASM).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    I don't understand. If most shops do it, then how are you supposed to know what your real size is? In fact, does it even matter? If I get a 10 in every shop I go to, does it make any sense to say that my size is really a 12 but all my clothes are 'fakely' 10s?
    No, of course not. If the general consesus is that you're a 10, then so be it. But sizes vary so much from shop to shop. I'm normally a 10 in most shops, but as I've said I can be an 8 or a 12 in Topshop, too small for a small (8/10) in French Connection, or anywhere from a 6 to a 14 in H&M!

At the end of the day, your clothes size doesn't matter one bit. All that matters is that you buy clothes that fit!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amie)
    Bigger person, eh?
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes waist sizes just don't correlate with hip size though - I have a 26 inch waist and 42 inch hips. It's ridiculous. Totally impossible to buy jeans...

ReputationRep:
    Guys, in Cosmopolitan theres this High Street Guide to all the main shops, and it tells you the size you should buy from there for the proper size that you are! Its very useful indeed and definitely truthful! it says to buy a size smaller in miss selfridge for example which is most definitely true, their clothes are massive

ReputationRep:
    Don't you just love the feeling, though, when you end up being a size or two smaller than usual, due to the way a shop cuts its clothes?!

The reason that all shops vary so much is because they use 'fit models' - supposed prime examples of each size. So it's very unlikely that all shops will ever have a unified sizing system.

So much easier for men, they do it by collar, leg and chest sizes rather than all this 12, 14, 16 business!

ReputationRep:
    I also stll think we need an odd sizes shop. i swear a size nine would be the perfect fit!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by so_this_is_sam)
    I also stll think we need an odd sizes shop. i swear a size nine would be the perfect fit!
    Some brands do jeans in in-between sizes. I have a pair of Diesel jeans that are a waist 29

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the neg rep, whoever that was. Very mature

That's me told :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Again, don't tell me what to do. You can stick your comments where the Sun doesn't shine because that is what they are tbh. To the bold bit, you are a hypocrite. I have plenty of friends and I'm well respected by ppl whom matter. I have a better outlook on life than you and when I want to take the advice, as I have already listened to it, from stupid *****es like yourself and amie then I'll let you know about it! I'd rather be me than you lot any day!
    How arrogent. here is some advice. Take your A* english grades, you arrogent, insulting attitude, you 'better outlook on life. and leave.... never come back.

GOODBYE :p:

ReputationRep:
    oooops. OH NO I MADE A TYPO AHHHHH. I MEANT 'YOU' TO BE YOUR' OH NO...... like i really care!

ReputationRep:
    I work in Levis and our sizing is pretty standard.
    Waist sizes do directly equate to clothing sizes

24 = size 6
    25 = size 6/8
    26 = size 8
    27 = size 8/10 (so like a 'nine')
    28 = size 10
    29 = size 10/12
    30 = size 12
    31= size 12/14

... And so on. Basically, it used as an alternative to using conventional clothes sizing, but those are the figures that correspond; At least in Levis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXMessedUpXx)
    i'm starting to feel bad for being a "bigger person" now. I mean hell if topshop are making sizes bigger and they still don't fit me.... *walks to the nearest cliff*
    i know exactly how you feel. i'm the same size as you and i have the same issues with topshop clothes.

ReputationRep:
    Originally Posted by amie
    If you know what size you are in other clothes (like 8, 10 or whatever) it's easy to convert it into the waist size. In Topshop:

24 - size 4
    25 - size 6
    26 - size 8
    28 - size 10
    30 - size 12
    32 - size 14
    34 - size 16
    Well I'm buggered!!!! I'm a size 14 in trousers but my waist is 28inch :confused: I can see I'm going to have fun when I go shopping for jeans next weekend!

ReputationRep:
    Can I just say...

LMFAO at Elements. That was pure class. What a tard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by belle_27)
    Well I'm buggered!!!! I'm a size 14 in trousers but my waist is 28inch :confused: I can see I'm going to have fun when I go shopping for jeans next weekend!
    Lol, don't worry about it! Just try on a bunch of different sizes, Topshop sizes are screwed up anyway. Shopping for jeans in the worst, good luck!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 16, 2006
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.