Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

my sis has got her boyfriend round watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dogtanian)
    But her parents have a problem with it.

Whether you agree with that or not, her sister has clearly put the OP in a difficult situation. That smacks of disrespect, and I wouldn't be that happy about it.
    Yes, but her parents have a problem with something which is fully illegal. I mean, it's one thing not letting your daughter (who could move out at any time, might I add), but stopping her from having sex...:mad:

I could see the problem if the girl was 15; but, come on, 17...

ReputationRep:
    She isn't stopping her having sex! She is stopping her having sex WHILST UNDER HER SUPERVISION! Stop moaning and saying it's "disgusting" that she won't let them have sex.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelil)
    I'm not denying her right to do what she wants with him - just not while she's under my responsibility, thanks.
    So, would you also stop her from going TO her boyfriend's house? Jesus, she's at the LEGAL age to do WHATEVER SHE WANTS (sexually) with her boyfriend. Can't you just let them get on with what they want to do? Your parents will never find out (it's not like you'd be disobeying them by letting their FULLY LEGAL daughter shut the door in the house with her boyfriend).

ReputationRep:
    My god this is dragging on.......

Carry on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atomik)
    Yes, but her parents have a problem with something which is fully illegal. I mean, it's one thing not letting your daughter (who could move out at any time, might I add), but stopping her from having sex...:mad:

I could see the problem if the girl was 15; but, come on, 17...

I think you mean legal...

I dunno, call me a traditionalist, but I've always been of the belief that you live by your parents' rules while you live under their roof. :shrug: It was a little childish of her to not even ask. But meh, I guess i'm just a good girl.

I personally wouldn't enforce this rule if I were a parent, but it's not that extreme.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_musical_gal)
    She respects her parents views and her sister which is more than some people can say and its hard when something like this happens - Give her a break by making some suggestive comments rather than judgemental ones...
    OK, maybe I will be a little less abrasive, but, still, the girl she is looking after is 17 years of age. Shutting the door while her boyfriend is with her really shouldn't be a problem - especially since the girl is legally free to do whatever she pleases.

Sorry, but I hate authoritarian parents, just like I hate parents who are too soft.

ReputationRep:
    So, would you also stop her from going TO her boyfriend's house? Jesus, she's at the LEGAL age to do WHATEVER SHE WANTS (sexually) with her boyfriend. Can't you just let them get on with what they want to do? Your parents will never find out (it's not like you'd be disobeying them by letting their FULLY LEGAL daughter shut the door in the house with her boyfriend).
    I repeat: what they do in private is between them. If they are round her boyfriend's house, they'll have to fight it out with his parents. Of course I wouldn't stop her going round there. Neither would my parents. What a ridiculous thing to suggest. What I object to is my sister deliberately flouting my parents' rules while under my responsibility.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dogtanian)
    I think you mean legal...
    Yeah, I meant legal. Oops.

I dunno, call me a traditionalist, but I've always been of the belief that you live by your parents' rules while you live under their roof. :shrug:
    I guess that is fair enough. But, still, they're denying her of her freedom.

ReputationRep:
    Rules: She might not be breaking THE Law, but local rules can apply. Schools, work places, even public places can have Rules where punishments can be given for breaking them. E.g. Most workplaces will say no drinking while on duty. Wouldn't be against the law to drink but it might affect your job.

It's her parents house so parents rules should apply.

ReputationRep:
    I repeat: what they do in private is between them. If they are round her boyfriend's house, they'll have to fight it out with his parents. Of course I wouldn't stop her going round there. Neither would my parents. What a ridiculous thing to suggest. What I object to is my sister deliberately flouting my parents' rules while under my responsibility.
    Meh, she should have gone to her boyfriend's house, then. But I cannot see why your parents would let their daughter go to her boyfriend's house and basically do what she wanted, but they don't even want her boyfriend going to your house, let alone going to yours and shutting the door. It seems quite pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    Ladies and gentlemen, I think we have a Liberal Democrat on our hands. Atomik: are you of the school of thought that everyone is free to do everything and be responsible for none of it? Because that's how you're coming across. If that's not what you mean, please explain yourself better.

ReputationRep:
    I think some people are being a little harsh at Angelil. Its her younger sister and she has every right to be protective of her. Also, she's trying to obey her parents wishes as they left her in charge.

Angelil, if your sister leaves the door open and her bf leaves at 10 like he said then i wouldnt worry about it. If she does shut the door or do something you're uncomfortable with, then let her know. When parents are away, people tend to try and get away with things a lot more (i should know ). She sounds like you can trust her though so no worries

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DPM)
    Rules: She might not be breaking THE Law, but local rules can apply. Schools, work places, even public places can have Rules where punishments can be given for breaking them. E.g. Most workplaces will say no drinking while on duty. Wouldn't be against the law to drink but it might affect your job.

It's her parents house so parents rules should apply.
    Yes, but these rules are put there for a reason - e.g. drinking at work could cause accidents. This 17 year old girl and her boyfriend having sex isn't going to affect anybody.

ReputationRep:
    Meh, she should have gone to her boyfriend's house, then. But I cannot see why your parents would let their daughter go to her boyfriend's house and basically do what she wanted, but they don't even want her boyfriend going to your house, let alone going to yours and shutting the door. It seems quite pathetic.
    I take your point - but if she was round her boyfriend's house, they wouldn't be able to control what she does, but it doesn't mean they automatically have to approve either.

ReputationRep:
    When I was the sixteen, I wasn't allowed to have my boyfriend stay over. But I could visit him.

I know, complete lack of logic there. But it made my mum feel better, somehow, and them's the rules...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink Sparkles)
    I think some people are being a little harsh at Angelil. Its her younger sister and she has every right to be protective of her. Also, she's trying to obey her parents wishes as they left her in charge.

Angelil, if your sister leaves the door open and her bf leaves at 10 like he said then i wouldnt worry about it. If she does shut the door or do something you're uncomfortable with, then let her know. When parents are away, people tend to try and get away with things a lot more (i should know ). She sounds like you can trust her though so no worries
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Ladies and gentlemen, I think we have a Liberal Democrat on our hands. Atomik: are you of the school of thought that everyone is free to do everything and be responsible for none of it? Because that's how you're coming across. If that's not what you mean, please explain yourself better.

Gee, thanks for making that an insult, particularly when it's totally unrelated :rolleyes:. I'm a LibDem voter.

atomik, um, isn't. Hehe..

ReputationRep:
    Your brother/sister/uncle/dog/aunt/best friend/alien is upstairs with a member of the opposite sex. You are alone in a house and you know that the owners of the house are concerned about your brother/sister etc having sex.
    You don't mind the fact that your brother/sister... might want sex but you don't want to:

a) ruin the trust the owners of the house have for you or
    b) be in the same house alone with them

Now do you understand?

Can we please move on because judging Angelil, her parents because it is not helping Angelil in the slightest - your judging her when she has a problem.

...Pretty PLEASE!

Edit - took so long writing and checking because of my dyslexia that I hadn't noticed we had moved on - Sorry please ignore!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but these rules are put there for a reason - e.g. drinking at work could cause accidents. This 17 year old girl and her boyfriend having sex isn't going to affect anybody.
    I'm under certain rules with the army that the collar of my combat jacket must be zipped all the way up and folded over? If it wasn't would it cause any problems - no - it's just the rules set by the authority.

Her parents have obviously set some rules and would be wrong to disobey them.

ReputationRep:
    I take your point - but if she was round her boyfriend's house, they wouldn't be able to control what she does, but it doesn't mean they automatically have to approve either.
    Still seems fairly strange, though. But, eh, your parents are the ones that pay the bills...

By the way, just a question: if you brought your boyfriend 'round to your place, and your parents told you they didn't want you and him to be together on your own, would you obey them? (Keep your age in mind - there's not a huuuuge difference between being 17 and being 20.)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 17, 2006
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.