The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Nope i dont think it should be banned unless its clearly violent and immoral but i seriously doubt its even a tenth extreme as you said. Ive seen chanel u and its luaghable its a load of tasteless losers singing rubbish cliched stylistically bankrupt, w*nk. I think just as many white people listen to urban stuff in the UK because of the small proportion of ethnic minorities when comparsed with the cultural diversity of america. Where i live about 60% of the teens at least listen to urban stuff and all of the chavs listen to it. And where i live has around 1% ethnic minorites if that, and its in the top 30 richest towns in britain so im guessing there's even more white people listening to it in poorer & more culturally diverse towns. People need to make their minds up about freedom of speech though one minute everyone thinks they should be able to call each other the most abrasive insulting things they can think of for the sake of freedom of speech, then are whining things they dont like should be banned :s-smilie:
its practically a fact that NY state of mind and nas is like are 2 of the, if not the best hip hop tracks ever.
hmmmm, eminem is good, but for some reason i cant get passed the fact he's white(which is obviously stupid)
i remember hearing illmatic for the first time and honestly thinking nothing hip hop will ever be better than this.
the blueprint is probably my second fave hip hop album, after illmatic.

eminems first 2 records were and are awesome, but, i dont think either are on par with illmatic. his last 2 i didnt like whatsoever. i think people like the game and fiddy are taking his place now

what do you think of the UK hip hop and grimey stuff around atm?
Angelil
I don't really like this sort of music myself, in fact it's the last sort of music I would choose to listen to.
However, I don't think you can talk about censoring/banning art, even if you don't consider it particularly artistic. People write songs/poems/paint pictures based on what they know and feel strongly about. I would hazard a guess that if anyone is directly influenced by these songs on eg. gun violence to the extent that it makes them go out and shoot someone, chances are they aren't right in the head and would have done it whether they'd heard the song or not.
I think some songs depict appalling situations and most people probably wouldn't condone the actions they describe (eg. in Eminem's Stan, Stan locks his pregnant girlfriend in the boot of his car and drives them off a cliff, having been driven mad by his obsessional fan-stalking of Eminem). However, such songs can still be powerful nonetheless, and I'd say that Stan is the one Eminem song I do like, because of this.

Stopping people creating the songs will do nothing it is the problems that inspire people to write these songs that need to be dealt with. Sweeping this stuff under the carpet because it isn't nice is not the answer, as long as the feelings are there they will be inspiration for songs and no censorship will stop that. If it doesn't make you think then what's the point?
Reply 44
Could someone explain to me the definition of a chav as it seems to come up in many of these posts.
Back to the point:

markymark- To generalise Uk hiphop as all things on Channel U would be incorrect.

We've got Phi Life Cypher, Mark B +Blade, Jehst, Braintax, Yungun, Richochet Klashnekoff, Kila Kela, Micall Parkinson, Lewis Parker, Aspects, Roots Manuva, Blak Twang, Tommy Evans, Def Tex, Doc Brown, Fallacy +Fusion, Lowkey, Fleapit, Huntkillbury Finn,Ty, Kyza, Mud Family, Rodney P, Skitz, Slick Rick (Yes, he's british), Task Force, The Planets and Asaviour

Have a listen to some of these and then hopefully you'll reconsider
Reply 46
DENNIS_MENACE
Back to the point:

markymark- To generalise Uk hiphop as all things on Channel U would be incorrect.

We've got Phi Life Cypher, Mark B +Blade, Jehst, Braintax, Yungun, Richochet Klashnekoff, Kila Kela, Micall Parkinson, Lewis Parker, Aspects, Roots Manuva, Blak Twang, Tommy Evans, Def Tex, Doc Brown, Fallacy +Fusion, Lowkey, Fleapit, Huntkillbury Finn,Ty, Kyza, Mud Family, Rodney P, Skitz, Slick Rick (Yes, he's british), Task Force, The Planets and Asaviour

Have a listen to some of these and then hopefully you'll reconsider

Wha? Slick Rick is British???? Seriously dude?

Out of the hip hop artists you have listed, I have heard and rate - Phi LIfe Cypher, Klashnekoff, Roots Manuva
Reply 47
turbochargedk
Stopping people creating the songs will do nothing it is the problems that inspire people to write these songs that need to be dealt with. Sweeping this stuff under the carpet because it isn't nice is not the answer, as long as the feelings are there they will be inspiration for songs and no censorship will stop that. If it doesn't make you think then what's the point?

I think you've missed my point entirely. I'm not saying you should censor or ban such songs - just that such music videos, like any other form of televisual material, should adhere to the 9pm watershed. It is there for a reason - children are not children for very long, and should be able to watch TV (whether that's mainstream or cable) without hearing swearwords, seeing sexually explicit material, or hearing some rapper proudly proclaim how he's smacked his b***h up.
Reply 48
no but classical music should as it produced neeks!

Latest

Trending

Trending