SNR
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by sunshinebeem)

Cool thanks, by the way can I ask what you are studying at A Level and how big of a jump your subjects have been thus far?
I'm doing biology, chemistry, history, physics and general studies (school enforced, was not at all by choice). I also did maths for a while but believe me 6 ASs, one job and three volunteer positions kind of leaves you with no time. :P

Honestly the jump for all my subjects haven't been content based, I'd put a lot of it on par with GCSE stuff, the occasional bit does stump some people (algebraic long division, bonding of atoms etc). In terms of work load ... if you're serious then you won't have a moment free. I don't have 'frees' I have study time. I get to school at 8am, an hour before school and I stay an extra hour and a half after school if need be.

Also, you need to get used to learning mark schemes, when I started my teachers always said to me "your knowledge is absolutely fine but you're not answering it right". You explain osmosis perfectly but don't mention the damn word, then you don't get a mark. That pinikety. Honestly though, once you get into the stride of things you don't notice.
meowcat95
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by emmalav)
:confused: I am considering choosing Chemistry , Biology , Home Economics and psychology for my A-Levels. Do you think these are suitable A-Levels for the course ( I know they are ) but are they good ones ? Which ones would you change which may give me better a better chance of getting into university (Particularly Queens, Belfast or Trinity College Dublin ) and better prospects of finding a job as a Doctor in later life ? Thank-you very much for reading this and I really appreciate any comments as I have to have my A-Levels finalised by next Tuesday . Thank you again
What gave you the impression they're acceptable? They're really not, to be blunt. Taking a "soft" subject like Home Economics will actually rule you out at most good unis. Psychology makes an OK fourth on top of three sciences, but it is also really considered a soft subject to be honest. I would suggest taking Maths or Physics as well as Chemistry and Biology with Psychology. If you enjoy cooking, feel free to bake and cook in your spare time, but don't completely scupper your chances by wasting an A Level choice on it. Good luck, anyway.
Jess_Hills
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi guys, im wondering if anyone could help me?? im getting in a bit of a stress right now about choosing A-levels... i want to do either medicine, biomedical sciences or something along those lines at university (ideally medicine)

im choosing Chemistry, Biology, Psychology at A-Level (possibly sport too) . my GCSE predictions are mostly As with one 1 B. My weakest subject is maths... im only getting a B however, is this something to be stressing about..? do i need A level maths..? i know it would be good but is is vital..?

Thanks,
Jess_Hills
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
:confused: I am considering choosing Chemistry , Biology , Home Economics and psychology for my A-Levels. Do you think these are suitable A-Levels for the course ( I know they are ) but are they good ones ? Which ones would you change which may give me better a better chance of getting into university (Particularly Queens, Belfast or Trinity College Dublin ) and better prospects of finding a job as a Doctor in later life ? Thank-you very much for reading this and I really appreciate any comments as I have to have my A-Levels finalised by next Tuesday . Thank you again
i'm in the same boat as you, i know that obviously chemistry and biology are VITAL however, maths and or physics does make you more attractive to universities but if your like me, your maths isnt hugely strong. i would recommend doing something you love alongside bio and chem.. perhaps home ec is a bit to relaxed.. after all, in your personal statement your not going to be able to relate cookery to medicine... but... you MIGHT change your mind so you need to choose a broad spectrum of subjects... for example im doing biology chemistry psychology and sport. them all my doors are open, hope this helps )
DELETED ACCOUNT
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Jess_Hills)
Hi guys, im wondering if anyone could help me?? im getting in a bit of a stress right now about choosing A-levels... i want to do either medicine, biomedical sciences or something along those lines at university (ideally medicine)

im choosing Chemistry, Biology, Psychology at A-Level (possibly sport too) . my GCSE predictions are mostly As with one 1 B. My weakest subject is maths... im only getting a B however, is this something to be stressing about..? do i need A level maths..? i know it would be good but is is vital..?

Thanks,
It is nor good or vital. As long as you have Bio+ Chem, the choice of the other two subjects doesn't matter at all, but it is preferable to take something rigorous, .e.g Maths, French, Geography, History, English lit etc....

Minimum requirement to get into medical school in the UK is a C in GCSE Mathematics.

Medical schools apart from a minority don't really care about GCSE's as long as you're predicted AAA at A-level. All you need to do now is achieve as many A/A* grades as possible just to have a good foundation to work from when entering sixth form/ college. Please do not stress about it.

N.B. However, I personally wouldn't take sports, due to the P.E./ Biology overlap which some medical schools do not accept.

For biomedical sciences however, I have no clue.
walkers38
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Although entry requirements don't ask for it, I'd say take Maths instead of Home Economics. Usually medicine students take Bio, Chem, Maths and 1 other subject (physics, psychology or anything really).

I do 3 sciences and maths. It's challenging but its surprising how all these subjects are linked and blend to each other :elmo:
MedMed12
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Avor)
If you want a blunt and honest opinion, you're A-levels are far from appropriate.

Medicine is an extremely competitive field to get into and although "MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS" state your opinions are "TECHNICALLY FINE", there are a sheer amount of people that exceed these. Usually 3 sciences is competitive (as in Chemistry, Biology, Physics OR Maths). The fourth subject should really be a respected subject (Philosophy, History, RS, MFL, Latin, Further Maths, English LIT etc) OR take a fourth science.

4 sciences = Strong candidate, strong at sciences, will be appropriate and suitable for most unis, apart from UCL and Peninsula who 'prefer', not demand, a contrasting subject.
3 Sciences + respected contrasting subject = Just as strong, shows versality, will put you no great advantage or disadvantage from 4 science candidates.

Home Economics - A complete and utter doss subject, no real skill, no real respect AND a medicine candidate should never be studying it as it gives the impression you're very non-academic and not suitable for such as demanding and complex career.

Psychology - this is somewhat acceptable for your fourth subject, but, unless you have a raging 'passion' for it, don't take it and go for more academic contrasting subjects.

I agree
(Original post by 99dm04)
I've taken Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Psychology and hopefully getting straight A grades for AS
but I don't know whether to drop maths or psychology?!

decide on results day and what you enjoy more, but I'd recommend you keep maths (a2 isnt that bad) and it'll always be valued more (generally)
jonnyb123
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Meh I did Maths to AS and dropped it this year. I'm doing all 3 sciences to A2, and I currently have a medicine offer, so maths to A2 is certainly not needed. OP definitely steer clear from home economics, I didn't even know that was an A level! If you're smart enough to do chemistry and biology you're smart enough to do any science/maths or social science A level subject. psychology is fine so long as your third A level is something strong. History, English Lit, Physics, Maths, ANY modern foreign language?
Jess_Hills
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by frogs r everywhere)
It is nor good or vital. As long as you have Bio+ Chem, the choice of the other two subjects doesn't matter at all, but it is preferable to take something rigorous, .e.g Maths, French, Geography, History, English lit etc....

Minimum requirement to get into medical school in the UK is a C in GCSE Mathematics.

Medical schools apart from a minority don't really care about GCSE's as long as you're predicted AAA at A-level. All you need to do now is achieve as many A/A* grades as possible just to have a good foundation to work from when entering sixth form/ college. Please do not stress about it.

N.B. However, I personally wouldn't take sports, due to the P.E./ Biology overlap which some medical schools do not accept.

For biomedical sciences however, I have no clue.
lovely, so bio, chem, psychology and english lit?
DELETED ACCOUNT
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Jess_Hills)
lovely, so bio, chem, psychology and english lit?
Perfect

EDIT: (unless you want to go to Cambridge that is )
emmalav
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Avor)
If you want a blunt and honest opinion, you're A-levels are far from appropriate.

Medicine is an extremely competitive field to get into and although "MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS" state your opinions are "TECHNICALLY FINE", there are a sheer amount of people that exceed these. Usually 3 sciences is competitive (as in Chemistry, Biology, Physics OR Maths). The fourth subject should really be a respected subject (Philosophy, History, RS, MFL, Latin, Further Maths, English LIT etc) OR take a fourth science.

4 sciences = Strong candidate, strong at sciences, will be appropriate and suitable for most unis, apart from UCL and Peninsula who 'prefer', not demand, a contrasting subject.
3 Sciences + respected contrasting subject = Just as strong, shows versality, will put you no great advantage or disadvantage from 4 science candidates.

Home Economics - A complete and utter doss subject, no real skill, no real respect AND a medicine candidate should never be studying it as it gives the impression you're very non-academic and not suitable for such as demanding and complex career.

Psychology - this is somewhat acceptable for your fourth subject, but, unless you have a raging 'passion' for it, don't take it and go for more academic contrasting subjects.
Thanks I know it is a very competitive course so I chose all three off the sciences for A-Level
Peaco9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you want to apply for Ireland, you'll need 4 A levels, basically all science at A grade MINIMUM unless you get 250 on the HPAT which I don't even think is possible. For Trinity in particular, I would say you would need roughly A*A*AA and 190ish on the HPAT (which makes the UKCAT seem reasonably fun!). The entry requirements are absurd and there are better schools in Dublin itself never mind Cork and Galway. A medical degree is a medical degree so don't hang your hopes on one place in particular. Focus on Dublin if that's where you want to go and take what you get. In the meantime, work hard and get the grades.

Hope this helps.
Simonthegreat
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Home economics a definite no no. Psychology a possibility. Change them to a much more stronger subject if you can. Good luck.
emmalav
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Thanks everyone for your replies ! I'm currently studying Chemistry , Biology , Physics and Religion ! I really love all my As levels , hopefully these subjects will be OK for applying to medicine. I got 9 A*'s and 3A's in my GCSE's and was considering taking on maths since I got an A* at GCSE and now I kind of wish I did as I can see where it would tie in with Physics and the other sciences; however I thoroughly enjoy them all ! Thanks for all of your advice !
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (114)
66.67%
No I haven't decided yet (34)
19.88%
Yes but I might change my mind (23)
13.45%

Watched Threads