The Student Room Group

how long do you wear contact lens everyday?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Debdener
I used to be the same, until I started University and now I wear my glasses 3/4 days of the week due to studying.

Initially, my optician told me that I needed to wear my glasses 1-2 days a week, so that I could let my eyes recover from them being dry. When they get seriously dry, that's when the damage really kicks in.

What damage??
Original post by ProcrastinatePro
Anyone know why my contact lenses make my eyes feel itchy?:confused: As in when I blink I can kind of feel the lens in my eye and it gets really uncomfortable. Really hate wearing glasses and do not want to be blind and run into a lampost. :frown:

I think you just get dry eyes, I have that too. Does anyone know of any eye drops you can use specifically for wearing contacts?
Original post by EffieFlowers
I think you just get dry eyes, I have that too. Does anyone know of any eye drops you can use specifically for wearing contacts?

I have some called 'refresh contacts' by allergan, they're really good!
Original post by ChloeLouise09
I have some called 'refresh contacts' by allergan, they're really good!

Ooh thanks! Do they sell them in Boots etc or do you order them online or something?
I wear mine for 15 hours or more most of the time, but it's a necessity for me. I need contact lenses to correct my vision, not glasses.

whether or not it is safe depends on the type of lenses you wear. I'd ask your optician if you are unsure. Some lenses do not allow oxygen to pass through them, so they prevent your eyes from getting the oxygen they need. These are generally the daily disposable ones.
At the moment, I wear them up to 18 hours... But I know they're starting to get a little crispy by then :P (I've lost my glasses xD )
Otherwise, I wear them up to 12 hours, and have a break on Sundays.
But - I have been wearing them for about 6 years now, and I've worked up from about 6 hours a day at most, and had regular checks (every 6 months) since day one.
Monthlies are far better than dailies in my opinion though, despite the small amount of extra care you have to take.
Reply 46
What damage??

As the lense dries it wrinkles slightly. This is minute and you can't see it even if you look closely. These tiny ridges that form can then potentially cause tiny scratches on the surface of your eye.

Thanks, i'll be sure to try and get some eye drops:smile:
Reply 48
Wearing my lenses as normal today... One sort of fused to my eye. Took it off and now I can't see properly through that eye! Off to an optician tomorrow I think.

Might stay away from lenses for a few days.
Does anyone find their contact lenses come out really easily towards the end of the day? All I have to do is blink a few times sometimes and it folds and drops out of my eye on its own sometimes.
Reply 50
Does anyone find their contact lenses come out really easily towards the end of the day? All I have to do is blink a few times sometimes and it folds and drops out of my eye on its own sometimes.

I've had that a couple of times. Seems to happen more when I've been staring at something for ages like a computer game or something.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ooh thanks! Do they sell them in Boots etc or do you order them online or something?
I bought them from my opticians but theres no reason why they shouldn't be in boots! ask your opticians if they have any for you, they should do :smile:
Reply 52

Boots do their own brand contact lens drops and you can get Comfort Drops from specsavers.
One time, at band camp, I put my right contact into my left eye.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending