We need a new University Application System Watch

This discussion is closed.
the.austrian
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by EliseTheBees)
I disagree with it completely. If someone wants to do something I believe they should do everything they can in order to do it. It's unfair. But there are things people have to look at in the long run.

The world revolves around money. That's why people go to university, to get jobs and to get paid well. But if someone isn't that clever at a certain subject, they won't do very well. They will have wasted thousands and about three years of their life trying to get somewhere they just can't get and fail. If they don't do well at a job, people get fired. It's just how the world works. Some people just aren't as bright no matter how hard they work. If someone wants to be a doctor, would you want someone who wasn't as bright and didn't pass their degree to treat you? If you were on trial and needed a good lawyer to fight your way out of a charge you were falsely accused of, would you want someone who only got the job because he was given an advantage because he came from a certain school and couldn't do as well as others. I certainly wouldn't. But if a system was made to give people an advantage when getting into university, why wouldn't it be the same when it comes to getting a job? Universities are meant to prepare you. And then you give an important job to a less qualified person who then brings down the people who employ them? It just can't possibly work like that.

Universities can't be kind enough to give someone a place in a course to give an advantage to someone if they don't have potential. If they feel they do have potential, whether coming from a private or public school, they will give you a place. It's all on the individual person and hopefully, the university a person applies to will correctly judge whether a student achieve their potential at their university.

Courses are also competitive and only have a number of places. If they give a place to a less qualified person as opposed to a person who have all entry requirements, isn't that also unfair?

I don't care much about change, if something changes so be it. If it doesn't work out, complain, sort it out, change it back; whatever. But there's nothing that can make everyone happy.
Although I can understand where you're coming from. My opinion someone who is privately educated has more knowledge but isn't always brighter than someone from a state school.

What I'm trying to say is (I'd hate to avoid cross wires) is that a state school kid will do just as well as a private school kid given a chance, it's proven, the article linked at the start sources that.

So give more of them a chance.

I'm sorry but if humans don't want to extinguish greed and the clutches of money then society needs to re-evaulate itself. This is the 21st century and everyone should have a fair chance.

I'm not saying accept those not capable, please re-read the OP I have covered as many bases as I can about performing adaption tests and review procedures. I do agree that a system like this would cause problems with people getting places they don't deserve, and people losing places they deserve. It's difficult. But every system has its flaws, I just believe the flaws in my proposed systems are less of a problem.

If I ever get rejected from a job or placement and it boils down to money I will be sorely disappointed, bitter and demotivated.

Don't get me wrong I'll have a point to prove and be better for it, but it simply isn't fair to begin with.
the.austrian
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Mirandaandcake)
I think the universities do take these things into account already. I am inclined to believe that most admissions tutors can identify potential to succeed on a course from a genuinely enthusiastic and convincing personal statement, despite the person 's background. It is for this reason that you hear stories of people getting into places like Oxbridge at times with 'below the par' grades - admissions tutors are astute enough to realise that grades are not always the best indicator of a person 's potential.
Moreover, I believe universities when faced with two candidates with similar grades - one from an under-performing state school and the other from a private school, I think they would be far more interested in the state school student.
Also, don't forget that many already have access schemes - Warwick, York,Bristol, Birmingham and Cambridge ( I think)! My cousin recently received his offer from Bristol - the offer was ABB when typically it is AAB and he only had 3 GCSEs- because he he was deemed to be 'disadvantaged'.
So, there are already many provisions in place to help the disadvantaged. Reforming the system completely, and drastically lowering the grades for disadvantaged pupils sort of defeats the purpose of university. If there are any reforms to be made, I think it is within the education system.
On the course of this debate I agree both an educational reform is needed and an adaption to the system.

Systems in place at the uni's you've mentioned should become the norm, whether the system in place is qualitative or quantitative (as I've suggested) is a new debate. I don't understand why having an advisory points score on what a student MIGHT achieve in different conditions will do to harm the admission process. It simply provides an easy way for admissions officers to review achievement based on the context it was in.

Unfortunately people are far too willing on this forum to say hard work can achieve anything- this is simply not always true- money closes off too many doors from birth.
Hu11box
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by the.austrian)
So our lives are just a glorified form of eugenics.

Wow.
Wow.
Basiil17
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Hu11box)
Wow.
Don't bump old threads.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (47)
25.41%
No (138)
74.59%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed