True or false: Universities check out your facebook Watch

The Polymath
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by kittyb99)
I should think this is true, especially if you are applying for a relatively obscure subject. Though unless you are really open about your personal info, and have a username resembling your real name, you should be safe :P
They can just match up your GCSE and AS-level scores and know it's you for sure
Care-Free
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Redolent)
Nobody is sensibly behaved 100% of the time. I'm sure you've done things in your private life that you're not proud of, things that have no effect whatsoever on your ability to do your job to the standard expected by your employer.

In any case, you have contradicted yourself there. You tried to distance yourself from the aforementioned pro-CCTV argument of "you have nothing to fear if you have nothing to hide", yet you think it is fair for employers to probe every aspect of a prospective employee's life and history that they have access to on the expectation that people should "behave sensibly in the first place". I could use that exact argument to justify extended CCTV in the public sphere, which it seems you are against.

I could say, "What's the problem with putting up more CCTV? People should be behaving sensibly in public anyway." I wonder how you would object to that.
I dont know about the person you quoted but any of my less desirable moments dont go anywhere near facebook..and if they do (through someone else) they're immediately removed so personally i dont have a problem with a future employer rooting thought my fb

As for the CCTV thing, someone would have to be pretty bored to follow me walking through the streets...that's all i do..walk...maybe shop?...then walk back? and i imagine that's all that other people do to..apart from the ones who do have something to hide..
roh
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by The Polymath)
Think they're more likely to match you with what other forums you post in.

You gave them a lot of information about yourself in the PS, so whilst say UCL may have a sizeable number of applicants with 7 A*s and the rest As at GCSE with 4 As at AS, the number that also are really into football or playing violin or going on a gap year etc. is likely to be much smaller.
concubine
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by james1211)
not true but you should have facebook set so only friends can see anything you post anyway.

Even if you don't want to?

OKAY THEN, HITLER.
AtomicMan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It wouldnt be hard for unis to match up names to information like GCSE's, subjects at AS/A-Level, predictions, AS grades, admissions test scores, hobbies etc etc.
myusername.
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
A few years ago, a policeman came into our school to talk to use about keeping safe online. I remember him saying too that we should be careful what we post on social networking sites because universities and employers like to look at them. I don't know if they actually do though...
charliehal
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
False You have nothing to worry about
cul-de-sac
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Charcharx)
No that can't be true
you seeem to likee lyingg downn.
Chiringuito
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Euthymic)
I've heard that Universities check out your facebook and other social networking sites, sometimes during the UCAS application cycle and sometimes once you're in

Is this true? Apparently they watch threads on TSR as well

:curious:
I had posted on a facebook page for people doing my course to get to know each other before term started during the summer holidays...I posted a totally innocent question about whether the student union allowed in students who were under 18 (because I was 17 when I started uni) and a few people replied saying yes (which was true) and others replied saying I should try and acquire some fake ID. On the first week of term I was summoned to a meeting where I was informed that the department had read my Facebook messages and were concerned that I was drinking underage and owned fake ID. Both were false, but they gave me a warning anyway, along with the others who had commented on my post.

So even if your account is private, beware what you post on public pages! This definitely taught be to be more careful, and proves that some unis DO check!
Kenan and Kel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I've heard this rumour too, and I reckon some do, mainly to make themselves laugh though.

As for TSR, I'm sure they check their section here, but most people keep themselves pretty anonymous from real life. Probably just seeing what's being discussed.
mysongbook
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Not sure how true this is but a good friend of mine who stayed at Bankside Halls (LSE accommodation) asked the people in charge of allocating rooms in the halls how they allocated students to flats and said they allocated people to each flat according to their facebook page. If one "looks" as though they share the same interests or "look" as they would get along are placed in the same flat.

Funny how he shared a flat with a hobo looking guy who apparently had really nasty ****s going all the time..HA
Redolent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Care-Free)
I dont know about the person you quoted but any of my less desirable moments dont go anywhere near facebook..
I wish I could say the same but friends can be cruel sometimes :lol:

Personally I don't really have anything I'm too worried about on my Facebook, but it's the idea that one day something embarrassing might happen accidentally and it'll end up on my profile that worries me. I really don't like Facebook and the way it keeps a record of everything. It was only a few years ago people could unwind without having to worry about people who are a bit too trigger-happy with their mobile phone cameras and Facebook apps.
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Employers worry an awful lot more about selecting a dud applicant than unis do.
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I've heard that Universities check out your facebook and other social networking sites, sometimes during the UCAS application cycle and sometimes once you're in

I'd be surprised if they checked applicants' Facebook during the application process, simply because it would take so much time to do. However I've certainly heard members of staff discussing things which were being said about them by existing students on Facebook. If you post something there as Public, don't be surprised when it becomes public knowledge.

Just keep an eye on the security levels on your posts. If you want to say something controversial or insulting and you don't want it getting back to staff with your name attached, just limit posts to "Friends Only" (or "Friends of Friends" if you can be certain that none of your friends have Friended their local lab tech, postgrad lecturer's assistant etc.)

As long as you use an alias on sites like TSR, you're pretty much off the hook. Just make sure that you don't post anything which will allow a casual observer to attribute it to a particular course. Remember that each university has its own section on TSR - it doesn't take a member of staff five minutes to check out the most recent posts about their organisation. Posting under an alias in more general section will usually keep you safe from identification.

Some prospective employers will check Facebook for shortlisted interviewees, but they won't have time to do it for all applicants. Make sure those "dodgy" photos are untagged or security locked if you have anything to be worried about.
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Admissions staff dont enough have time to search Facebook.

Its a myth. So stop worrying about it.
Charcharx
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by cul-de-sac)
you seeem to likee lyingg downn.
What? :confused:
kittyb99
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by The Polymath)
This is most true! Quick! Everyone confess their undying love to their universities of choice!

There, that should keep them all at bay
A Mysterious Lord
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Employers sometimes do, a university is unlikely to.

Keep your profile private if it bothers you that much.
lemorgan
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Ive been to 4 interviews at different universities and each time theyve told us all to be careful what we have on our facebooks! So I would say yes!
SoNottingH
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by abc:))
I doubt it's true but I've heard of employers that do this
My older sister works as an intern in a big PR company and she says they routinely do it with all new interns and employees and they also Google them fairly intensively to see if they can track down any wild things they've done, etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (116)
65.91%
No I haven't decided yet (36)
20.45%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.64%

Watched Threads