A levels needed to study economics at a top university. Watch

georgedunn
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by danny111)
Physics or English Lit out of those options.
Physics or English lit though?

Posted from TSR Mobile
georgedunn
Rep:
?
(Original post by NaimR)
Definitely take Geography, it's an essay based subject that will definitely help you in Econ, and the jump from Gcse geog to A level geog is not that big so getting +90% in it is not too hard and getting the A* prediction in it shouldn't be too challenging. I got an A in it at Gcse and at AS I ended up getting 98% in my AS for geography so it's not a hard subject. A girl in my school did Maths, Econ, further maths and Geography and got an offer from Cambridge. Do not take history if you haven't done it at Gcse it's just too risky and you don't need that added uncertainty of how you'll find it at A level. Taking physics is not very wise, it's very hard and may drain your efforts from the important maths subjects ( unless you're naturally talented at Physics)

Remember the most important thing is getting the A* prediction for Maths LSE, Cambridge all look for that as well as A's in the others.

Apply to Cambridge - if you have over 90% average in your AS levels (preferably 93% and over so you get automatically pooled by them)
Apply to LSE - if you have 10A*s + cause they prefer candidates with 10 A*s + at Gcse
Apply to Oxford - if you have at least 9-10 A*s at Gcse because they give preference to people who have a high A* percentage at GCSE

If you have excellent GCSE's and AS results than you're at a luxury!
Know a person who got an offer from Oxford last week and he only had 3A* at GCSE? Guessing that's a rare case?

Posted from TSR Mobile
georgedunn
Rep:
?
(Original post by jb_)
Further Maths and Economics is fine. Bath, Bristol, UCL, Warwick etc will ask for the A* in Maths or Economics.
So you're saying the fourth option doesn't matter as long as I've got the others?

Posted from TSR Mobile
tooambitious
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by georgedunn)
Know a person who got an offer from Oxford last week and he only had 3A* at GCSE? Guessing that's a rare case?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Was this for E&M? If so, yes that's rare, unfortunately
danny111
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Physics or English lit though?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Doesn't matter imo. If you apply to more quantitative courses or even econ&maths then do physics. Less quantitative or even econ&politics or whatever then Eng Lit.

Other than that I would advise taking the one where you are more certain of scoring A*/A.
georgedunn
Rep:
?
(Original post by tooambitious)
Was this for E&M? If so, yes that's rare, unfortunately
Yes

Posted from TSR Mobile
tooambitious
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Which college? I'm assuming they had a pretty good TSA/ went to a pretty bad school, because yes that's very rare
danny111
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
So you're saying the fourth option doesn't matter as long as I've got the others?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's not that it doesn't matter, but it is less important.
EconomicsGuru
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Sabster)
Geography and Economics are doss subjects.

Do:

Maths
Further Maths
Physics
Chemistry
History
Do not listen to this guy he is an idiot. If you want to do Economics at university obviously you should do Economics at A-Level. Also further maths is not needed, I don't know why this guy is saying you should do it - you are doing an Economics degree not a Maths one lol. Don't do Physics or Chemistry as again you are doing Economics degree not a science one! Geography is a good subject as well a lot of my friends who took it like it. I think maybe you should also do a language as then you can do a year abroad on your degree. (Also languages are the easiest A-Levels :P). So do something like:

Maths
Geography
Economics
Spanish(Or whatever language you like)

I do Economics at Plymouth so know a lot about what subjects are the best to take.
georgedunn
Rep:
?
(Original post by tooambitious)
Which college? I'm assuming they had a pretty good TSA/ went to a pretty bad school, because yes that's very rare
public boarding school
georgedunn
Rep:
?
(Original post by EconomicsGuru)
Do not listen to this guy he is an idiot. If you want to do Economics at university obviously you should do Economics at A-Level. Also further maths is not needed, I don't know why this guy is saying you should do it - you are doing an Economics degree not a Maths one lol. Don't do Physics or Chemistry as again you are doing Economics degree not a science one! Geography is a good subject as well a lot of my friends who took it like it. I think maybe you should also do a language as then you can do a year abroad on your degree. (Also languages are the easiest A-Levels :P). So do something like:

Maths
Geography
Economics
Spanish(Or whatever language you like)

I do Economics at Plymouth so know a lot about what subjects are the best to take.
is geography essay based?
georgedunn
Rep:
?
(Original post by danny111)
It's not that it doesn't matter, but it is less important.
So its most likely be the one i should drop for A2. But you still think i should avoid softer subjects such as sociology?
tooambitious
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
public boarding school
Were his gcses poor for his school? If so I can only imagine he had a good TSA and then stood out at Interview, which oxford college?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad
dragonkeeper999
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yes everyone is saying completely different things. Languages are an option because I do take 2 for gcse and should get an a* in both but is that better than history/English lit? My fourth subject is just to compliment the other three.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Which do you prefer from History/ English lit/ each language? Which one are you most likely to get a high A in at AS? Bear in mind that history and English lit are VERY essay based - you'll and up with loads of homework and I heard one of my friends complaining that their English lit exam was 'closed book' - i.e. they did not have the book they were meant to be writing the essay about with them in the exam. Not sure a good choice if you are bad at memorising quotes! Also, if you do lots of extra-curricular stuff outside of school or think you may struggle slightly with the workload, then these subjects may not be right for you. But if you are likely to get an A* in either at GCSE (did you do GCSE History? I can't remember which one you said you didn't do...) then that probably indicates you have a good chance of getting a good grade at AS.
If you are less keen on English lit/ History, then languages is the way to go. Pick your favourite and take it. The only issue I've found wit languages is that AS students (at least at my college) tend to do badly in the first year, as the grade boundaries are pulled up by all the A2 students who generally re-take the AS exams in the second year simply because they have better knowledge and understanding of the language and so will perform so much better. Not so good if you are looking for Cambridge's high AS UMS marks. However, if you work fairly hard and have good language skills (as suggested by your predicted A* at GCSE) you still have a good chance of getting an A. As it isn't the most relevant subject for an economics degree, I would think they are less concerned about your grade in it, as long as you get an A (I got an offer for Natural Sciences at Cambridge with only 82% in AS French, they were far more interested in my science AS levels). However, if you are only just scraping an A* at GCSE languages may not be the best option...
Basically, look at what you're good at, what you will have the time and dedication to study, and what you actually enjoy.
HeWhoSaysHeCan
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I wouldn't listen to dragonkeepper999. He's giving you advice on what subject to choose based on the possibly that you might end up with loads of homework, that other people tend to do badly in their first year and that you are only just scraping an A* in a GCSE language. I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics, English Lit and Economics and managed to get 5As at AS but at GCSE I had no A*s and got AAB in Maths, Physics and English Lit. I would recommend doing Physics, English/History or a Language; which ever one you enjoy the most as they would all go well with Economics.
jamesrorytiffin
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Maths further maths, economics and physics is one hell of a combo, ties in nicely together. I'm doing it and in my offer letters from bath and Exeter they said that the subject combination was a factor in lowering my offer conditions.
georgedunn
Rep:
?
(Original post by jamesrorytiffin)
Maths further maths, economics and physics is one hell of a combo, ties in nicely together. I'm doing it and in my offer letters from bath and Exeter they said that the subject combination was a factor in lowering my offer conditions.
Do you do the four for A2? Out of interest what was the offer and for what course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
georgedunn
Rep:
?
(Original post by HeWhoSaysHeCan)
I wouldn't listen to dragonkeepper999. He's giving you advice on what subject to choose based on the possibly that you might end up with loads of homework, that other people tend to do badly in their first year and that you are only just scraping an A* in a GCSE language. I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics, English Lit and Economics and managed to get 5As at AS but at GCSE I had no A*s and got AAB in Maths, Physics and English Lit. I would recommend doing Physics, English/History or a Language; which ever one you enjoy the most as they would all go well with Economics.
Doesn't geography tie in well with economics and I've heard the step up to a level isn't big?

Posted from TSR Mobile
tooambitious
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Doesn't geography tie in well with economics and I've heard the step up to a level isn't big?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Both true
jamesrorytiffin
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Do you do the four for A2? Out of interest what was the offer and for what course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah do them for A2 and both were AAB for economics and finance
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (141)
17.89%
It's just nice to be back! (213)
27.03%
Not great so far... (282)
35.79%
I want to drop out! (152)
19.29%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed