hamijack
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Ok, first off, everybody chill out.

Like someone previously stated everyone is in the same boat. I'm currently a second year and I have a pretty great group of close friends and a wide social circle, as does everyone I know. There are so many people at university it's almost impossible not to find one person you get on with. Depending on our halls structure/size you will get involved in a fairly tight-knit community where there is a high chance you'll make some friends, even if like me, you didn't get on that well with your flat.

Then there's your course, societies, people you just see around... The possibilities for friends is pretty much endless as long as you're prepared to make the effort and put yourself out there.
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Don't worry everyone feels like that "will I be home sick?" will i cope with the work load?" etc etc all those worry's and more. I know I defiantly felt like that but then I got there met my course mates joined some clubs spoke to everyone( you can seriously approach "everyone" and they will chat to you.

In short it's normal but once your there you should be fine and if your not try a different uni.
dave_123
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by butterflyy)
So I'm gonna start uni this year and I'm getting really nervous.. I'm scared I won't fit in and I won't find good friends.. I know this sounds silly but it's really getting to me..

Any advice???? :confused:
Just think on day one everyone else is in the same boat. Chances are you'll meet loads of people who you'll get along with.

Being a bit older i've seen all my close mates go off to uni and not a one has had problems making friends.

Perfectly normal to be a tad nervous as it's a new start, i like to think of my self as a confident 20 (will be 21) year old male and i know for a fact walking into halls, lectures for the first time i'll be a bit "uneasy" best thing is to throw your self into it all and see where it takes you
butterflyy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by jonathanemptage)
Don't worry everyone feels like that "will I be home sick?" will i cope with the work load?" etc etc all those worry's and more. I know I defiantly felt like that but then I got there met my course mates joined some clubs spoke to everyone( you can seriously approach "everyone" and they will chat to you.

In short it's normal but once your there you should be fine and if your not try a different uni.
That's good to hear
butterflyy
Rep:
?
(Original post by dave_123)
Just think on day one everyone else is in the same boat. Chances are you'll meet loads of people who you'll get along with.

Being a bit older i've seen all my close mates go off to uni and not a one has had problems making friends.

Perfectly normal to be a tad nervous as it's a new start, i like to think of my self as a confident 20 (will be 21) year old male and i know for a fact walking into halls, lectures for the first time i'll be a bit "uneasy" best thing is to throw your self into it all and see where it takes you
Yeah that's true. Its sort of good knowing that there will be people who feel the same way I do. It makes the whole thing easier
butterflyy
Rep:
?
(Original post by LeBuche)
Northumbria or Sunderland. Can't decide haha.
You still have loads of time to decide
Charlottie93
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by butterflyy)
What uni are you planning to go to?
Yeah if pages are created and we get a chance to meet and talk to people before we go I'm sure I'll feel more relaxed about it then.
I have an unconditional offer so I'm going to Sunderland university to study Law
Charlottie93
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Think that's the way to try and get involved if you're living at home, I keep telling myself that this is the age of the internet and it'll be easy to meet new people but I always have the nagging thought of 'you aren't in halls you won't fit in'. Sounds silly reading it back but it's true.
Oh I see you live in the same county as me! are you applying for a local university then? I'm going to move into halls but I live next to Darlington so it would take me nearly 3 hours on the bus to get to university!
LeBuche
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Charlottie93)
Oh I see you live in the same county as me! are you applying for a local university then? I'm going to move into halls but I live next to Darlington so it would take me nearly 3 hours on the bus to get to university!
Yeah I'm applying to Northumbria and Sunderland where do you want to go? And I work with a lot of people from Darlo
Charlottie93
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yeah I'm applying to Northumbria and Sunderland where do you want to go? And I work with a lot of people from Darlo
Oh cool! I have an unconditional from Sunderland to study law what do you want to study?
drummer
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You will be alright, just be yourself and not try too hard.
Charlotte.e.r
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Oh cool! I have an unconditional from Sunderland to study law what do you want to study?
Hey, I live in Sunderland (moving later this year hopefully to Bath for uni!) but any questions about the city, let me know!
hot-potato
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm the same, mainly because i'm living at home I'm worried it's going to be really hard to fit in.
yes me too! I'm worried about freshers and making friends haha, I don't wanna be the awkward one.
Charlottie93
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Charlotte.e.r)
Hey, I live in Sunderland (moving later this year hopefully to Bath for uni!) but any questions about the city, let me know!
Thanks but I lived there for 18 years haha so have a good idea of what it's like (and the best areas to avoid) but thank you anyway!

I have a friend who's at Bath University and it's supposed to be fantastic!
LeBuche
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I've got an unconditional from Sunderland for criminology and law and an unconditional from Northumbria for criminology. Don't know where I'm going yet :confused:
Charlotte.e.r
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thanks but I lived there for 18 years haha so have a good idea of what it's like (and the best areas to avoid) but thank you anyway!

I have a friend who's at Bath University and it's supposed to be fantastic!
Oh well hahaha XD Good luck with the uni anyway
Charlottie93
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Charlotte.e.r)
Oh well hahaha XD Good luck with the uni anyway
Thank you!
LeBuche
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by hot-potato)
yes me too! I'm worried about freshers and making friends haha, I don't wanna be the awkward one.
Think the best thing to do like we've said would be to wait until some freshers groups are made on Facebook and then just get among it as much as possible I'm just going to try and meet as many people as possible before I go !
Charlottie93
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I've got an unconditional from Sunderland for criminology and law and an unconditional from Northumbria for criminology. Don't know where I'm going yet :confused:
I preferred Sunderland over Northumbria but then I solely wanted to study law and I wasn't too keen on the law course when I went to a taster day! That and I LOVE the modules that you can choose from at Sunderland.

Have you been to the open days for the two of them?
Aramiss18
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
JOIN PLENTY OF SOCIETIES!! Also, don't worry if you don't meet you "bff" in the first week, or month or even year- you'll meet plenty of people. I met my best friend halfway through 2nd year. Just understand that university, like 6th form, is hopelessly bigged up and the majority of people end up feeling let down and not because it isn't great but because the expectations are just surreal.

And this is coming from someone who didn't even get a place in halls. As long as you don't retreat into your rooms you'll be fine.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (129)
64.5%
No I haven't decided yet (42)
21%
Yes but I might change my mind (29)
14.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed