The Student Room Group

Who Pays For Dinner On A Date?

Scroll to see replies

I pay for my share, I haven't been on a date where one party has payed for both (maybe that's because I've on ever had one date) But on my last date, a girl offered to pay for both meals, i firmly said no, I said that I wanted to pay for her too, but it was just gonna get into an argument so I payed for my own half :biggrin:
Reply 41
Original post by GoodDay
Pay for yourself or pay for the whole thing? Because its paying for the whole thing by your logic should surely make him/her feel guilty??

I see what you mean, depends on who the girl is I guess
Reply 42
I would always offer to pay half :yep:
Original post by LISSEY
If I asked a guy on a date then I'd pay. :smile:

A girl asking a guy out? How very modern...
Reply 44
Whoever asks pays - but if the other offers to pay half it would just be rude to refuse
Reply 45
If its a date with a new guy then I'd pay half. If we're in a established relationship If he's taking me out he can pay and If i'm taking him out then i'll pay.
Reply 46
I normally just assume we're paying for our own food unless one of us is treating the other (like a birthday)
If a guy wants to take me out for dinner, he pays. I was brought up this way, and I wouldn't date a guy who would expect any different.

However, if it's a guy friend I'm out with, different with friends,-half and half and I've even paid for skint male friends if I've invited them out.

Also if a girl likes eating out often and the guy doesn't want to as often I don't think she should make him pay everytime.
I'm in a long-term relationship but if we go out to eat, or for a drink-he'll pay, it's the gesture, he wants to take me out. Not to say I expect him to pay for everything, I buy him gifts and I buy groceries etc. And if it's an old fashioned thing then I reimburse by means that I have more free time than him so I do all the housework, sorting of things, walk his dog, cook for him every night etc. It balances.
Reply 48
Original post by Rooster523
A girl asking a guy out? How very modern...

:rolleyes:
Reply 49
Tough question. Id always go to pay. If the girl offers then I might agree half. If Ive paid a few times and she insists on paying this time then fine. As long as things feel fair and even thats all that matters.
Just run, saves the argument.
Reply 51
As a gay guy, so far with my new bf it's generally been whoever is 'hosting' the date (we live in different cities) who buys the food, but the other one of us always protests. Whoever doesn't buy the food tends to get the drinks instead though.
Original post by miser
They're notoriously stingy.

Spoiler

Funny mistype this one.
Reply 53
Well since a man is ALWAYS expected to ask out a girl, I just ask them out and put in sly remark making it clear you won't be paying. Problem solved and there's no awkward moments during the date.

If she cries about have to pay her share laugh at her cancel plans and be glad you dodged a bullet and treat it as it's her loss.
Original post by Norton1
The restaurant, if you run fast enough.

In all seriousness, what would happen if you did this?
I'm a male and I would expect to pay (at least for the first few dates). Not because I think i'm dominant or women are inferior or anything (I wouldn't want them to assume that i'll pay even though I would) I guess because that's what society says and that's what i've seen. In a serious relationship, maybe split it and if we were married, I assume it will be out of a shared bank account
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 57
This could be divided into equal parts, let's say on one day the guy pays for the dinner, the next date- a girl. I wouldn't expect a guy paying for every single dinner, it's just not right.
I've always thought that it was common courtesy to pay for your own meal. I understand the traditional basis for this poll, but I feel guilty if anyone pays for my meal. I don't expect my date to pay for my meal, I always carry my own money to pay half. It's much more equal that way.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 59
Since I've about £20,000 in savings, it seems almost churlish not to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending