Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Haha yeah! My phone in Year 7 was something like this (no joke):

Of course I totally regret it now but back then I thought it was great...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrampie)
    While tablets are trying to get smaller and smaller - seems a bit counter productive?

I've been searching for a new phone since Christmas (as an IOU present) and it's taken me up until now to choose the right one and I have settled for a Chinese brand because, tbh, I don't really like any phones on the UK market atm.

The only problem is size, all the phones nowadays are 4.5 inches + and it's just too big! These phones (particularly Samsung S3) are just too big to hold in one hand and certainly won't fit in my pocket.

(For the record I have normal size hands!)

So basically my question is why? Why do we need phones this big? Don't we have tablets and computers for this?! :confused:
    you're complaining Samsung S3 is too big? Did you SEE Galaxy Note2? It's HUGE! I own one but I'm perfectly happy with it. It's like a mini iPad. 2 things in 1.

ReputationRep:
    ^some people can come up with an argument just anywhere...sigh

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cl_steele)
    You really are a raving ***** *** aren't you? You clearly have some condition, what asperges or something or are you just a freak generally?
    Must be the meds then.

ReputationRep:
    I just wish everyone could get along like we did in middle school

ReputationRep:
    ^i second that!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think the iPhone 5 is the perfect size for a phone to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ETRC)
    I think the iPhone 5 is the perfect size for a phone to be.
    But why can't there be high quality Android devices in that size and at Android rather than Apple prices.

ReputationRep:
    You get used to things. I have a Samsung galaxy note (5.3 inches). Prior to this I used an iPhone 4. At first it seemed big but after a while I got used to the size. It isn't as portable as say my iPod touch but its usable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mucgoo)
    But why can't there be high quality Android devices in that size and at Android rather than Apple prices.
    There are. Lots of phones especially chinese phones.
    This website is basically the news on Chinese phones and tablets in English: www.gizchina.com

Bought a Jiayu G3 - £130 new 4.5" phone with dual core processor and better than retina display. Best purchase I've ever made in tech terms.

Cheap but very solid and reliable (dual core etc.) 4" phone: JiaYu G2s
    Budget Galaxy S3: Newman N2
    Value for money: Beidou Big K
    Unbelievable thing thats better than any phone you've ever seen bar Galaxy S4: iOcean X7

Any tech questions quote me a reply, I'm the don when it comes to phones.
    (Sad I know!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldenforever)

There are. Lots of phones especially chinese phones.
    This website is basically the news on Chinese phones and tablets in English: www.gizchina.com

Bought a Jiayu G3 - £130 new 4.5" phone with dual core processor and better than retina display. Best purchase I've ever made in tech terms.

Cheap but very solid and reliable (dual core etc.) 4" phone: JiaYu G2s
    Budget Galaxy S3: Newman N2
    Value for money: Beidou Big K
    Unbelievable thing thats better than any phone you've ever seen bar Galaxy S4: iOcean X7

Any tech questions quote me a reply, I'm the don when it comes to phones.
    (Sad I know!)

I write articles for gizchina

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sum Gai)
    I write articles for gizchina
    Really? I don't follow it so much anymore as I have my Jiayu G3, but back then Andi was doing most of the articles!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Architecture-er)
    What does everyone have? I've never cared about new mobiles tbh, it's just unnecessary to have it do anything beyond texting and phoning.

I use:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    That's a nice phone. I had one in 2003 and it was great. I really liked Sony Ericsson back in the day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Because the Snapdragon Qualcomm chips are getting bigger. The more cores the phone has the more power, but the more space (unless it is not physical processors). Also humans are starting to like bigger phones, they are easier to use, have better screen capabilities (400+ PPI, but humans can't really see beyond this point or even lower around 350PPI), better for watching videos and more. It is just that new tech has become available and companies are starting to use them.

ReputationRep:
    When I recently took a photo using a colleague's smartphone, and the first thing I noticed was how heavy it was compared to my Samsung flip-phone. It was like holding my Nokia 3310 from 2004!

I think I'll stick to small, light 'dumbphones' for the forseeable future as I don't feel the need for a phone with 'bells and whistles'!

ReputationRep:
    x

x
    Are they really as good as the specification make them out to be even at those prices:eek:
    Currently on a desire HD I picked up for £50 but those are even better value.

ReputationRep:
    Are they really as good as the specification make them out to be even at those prices:eek:
    I have bought a fake iPhone and a pretty cruddy £70 tablet on eBay and they were awful. No support for ROMs and things like that.

The key difference here is that the phones on gizchina.com are always from real Chinese manufacturers. The manufacturers tend to be quite popular in china and so they aren't just made by some bloke in a shed.

I bought the Jiayu G3 like I said in my last two posts, which was talked about on gizchina. The only problem with the phone is it took a long time to arrive, but that's only because I pre-ordered it from a china reseller (I recommend pandawill.com and chinabuye.com) way before it had been manufactured. The phone was also very popular and Jiayu was a relatively small company so I had to wait for the people who preordered theirs first.

Be aware if you are buying the MT6589 phones with a quad-core processor, they may take a long time before they arrive. They are only being manufactured now. It is different between different manufacturers.

To answer your question, yes they really are as good as the specification. The price is real, the only catch is what I've mentioned above.

ReputationRep:
    Really? I don't follow it so much anymore as I have my Jiayu G3, but back then Andi was doing most of the articles!
    Yeh, There is a new team now but Andi still does the bulk of the work.
    - http://www.gizchina.com/2013/01/11/m...-need-to-know/
    - http://www.gizchina.com/2012/11/03/e...-s3-ex-review/

Yep, people have the stereotype that China make cheap crap but they actually make better smartphones than the west in some cases. Their premium brands like Oppo, Xiaomi, Meizu, Huawei etc... make phones better than the S3 or even Xperia Z. For example the Oppo Find 5 came out before the Xperia Z and had better specs.

There are a lot of domestic manufactures in China as well who make phones like the above companies but they are cheaper due to cheaper components and build. For example, today i can pick up a phone with the same spec as the Xperia Z for around £150 (China price) and save myself £350 compared to the real Xperia Z.

But obviously there are things you need to consider before buying a phone from China-

Importing/Warranty-
    Most dual sim phones are manufactured in China and therefore have to be imported in to the UK. Therefore you are buying the phone from a Chinese seller with a warranty in China. This means that if your phone breaks and it's something that can't be fixed in your local shop then it has to be sent back to China. In some cases it can be up to a month or more to get your phone back due to shipping times. Also importing can lead to import tax etc...

Android usability-
    It is good to have a common knowledge of android, for example, you need to know how to root a phone, how to change APN details, how to manage battery life, how to replace certain system files etc... This is because Chinese phones are designed for the Chinese market so you'll need to do a couple of things like set up GPS for the UK, delete the Chinese apps and install a better keyboard to name a few. This requires you to root the phone, but tbh you don't have to root the phone as sometimes some of this stuff will already have been done for you. (depends where you buy from)

Price-
    The phones in China are very cheap, This means that build quality is usually cheap as well. However i;ve had my dual sim phone for 7 months now and it's still working fine despite being knocked around a bit. But if you're looking for a premium build then look some where else.

To be honest i only recommend dual sim phones to people if they actually need the dual sim feature. If you're looking to just save money you can get cheap phones in the UK anyway without having to spend much money. But if you've read through the above and understand everything then i'd say i'd recommend it to you as well.

I have bought a fake iPhone and a pretty cruddy £70 tablet on eBay and they were awful. No support for ROMs and things like that.

The key difference here is that the phones on gizchina.com are always from real Chinese manufacturers. The manufacturers tend to be quite popular in china and so they aren't just made by some bloke in a shed.

I bought the Jiayu G3 like I said in my last two posts, which was talked about on gizchina. The only problem with the phone is it took a long time to arrive, but that's only because I pre-ordered it from a china reseller (I recommend pandawill.com and chinabuye.com) way before it had been manufactured. The phone was also very popular and Jiayu was a relatively small company so I had to wait for the people who preordered theirs first.

Be aware if you are buying the MT6589 phones with a quad-core processor, they may take a long time before they arrive. They are only being manufactured now. It is different between different manufacturers.

To answer your question, yes they really are as good as the specification. The price is real, the only catch is what I've mentioned above.
    You bought a fake iPhone? Like this :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSO1KWLGd50

These are pieces of crap and don't deserve to be called Chinese Phones. The phone i use cost me £125 and is seriously on par with the Galaxy S3 at 1/4 of the price (at the time of purchase).

I've had 3 dual sim phones now and each one has been leaps and bounds ahead of the others. Plus it's useful as i do have 2 contracts (one personal/one paid by work)

ReputationRep:
    You bought a fake iPhone? Like this :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSO1KWLGd50

These are pieces of crap and don't deserve to be called Chinese Phones. The phone i use cost me £125 and is seriously on par with the Galaxy S3 at 1/4 of the price (at the time of purchase).

I've had 3 dual sim phones now and each one has been leaps and bounds ahead of the others. Plus it's useful as i do have 2 contracts (one personal/one paid by work)
    Mine was worse than this, it was actually a fake original iphone back in the day!

Oh and Ashen on youtube is brilliant.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.