Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to get my idiot-genius girlfriend to wise up and go to university? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestofyou)
    I don't. That simple, I'm going to uni.

it isn't 'free time'. She is doing this to advance a catering career. It isn't a gap year, she is going around the world working as a chef for the next 3 years at least I am sure and then will come home and work as a chef here likey. I am not 'jel' because I can go right know if I want to, I could book a flight to Rio tonight to prove you wrong.
    Can you book me a flight to Rio please?

ReputationRep:
    higher education is a scam

ReputationRep:
    She is such a idiot. She is smarter than anyone I know, she is basically a math genius compared to people in her school yet she has no intention of going to university. She sat Physics, Maths and Further Maths and got A*A*A*+a in History.

I told her she would have a chance of getting into any university for maths, engineering, finance etc...basically any course she wanted to do. Yet she still decided on a gap year.

Since she was a kid teachers never really gave her the time of day really due to behaviour issues and because of this she was convinced she was stupid. However clearly someone close to her noticed something in her and got her well tutored in maths and within a couple of years she had come further than everyone in her class has in 5. The funny thing is she never seemed to care, she never asked to sit GCSEs or A-levels early, she just sat in the class and pretended she was learning new content. She said she didn't want the rest of the class thinking she thought she was above them. All she seemed interested in was bloody cooking food.

See, when she was 14 she wanted to become a chef and did that day release thing where you go to school 3-4 days a week and then work/go to college the other 1-2 to do a vocational trade (so she did catering). So on her gap year she worked as a full-time chef at a pretty good restaurant (nothing very fancy but well above the pay grade of a 19yr old so I guess she is somewhat decent).

So when I asked her if she wanted a hand with her personal statement she said, 'don't think I'll bother tbh'.

****ing couldn't believe what I heard after I said what are you going to do? She plans on travelling around the world with her surf board to all the best places in the world for food and surf. She says she'll work in restaurants or food stands if visas are not possible. She started telling me she would go to South East Asia, then Mexico and Central America before on to South America and then to Africa...as if I care about her silly adventures. She could be sitting in an office earning 6 figure salaries in a few years, but she is throwing all of it away to go play chef and surf around the world over the next few years.

I got really angry and left when I made her cry. So can anyone tell me what would be the best thing to say next time I see her that would convince her to go to university?
    Sorry but who the **** in their right mind would want to be sat in an office all their life? Hmm, becoming another boring drone developing a wide fat ass doing ****** paperwork longing to get out of the rat race, or out there travelling the world having the time of your life? Tough decision... :rolleyes: At the end of the day she'll do what she wants. Ok you care about her, and if you want to do that with your life, fine, but don't dictate what she does with hers.

ReputationRep:
    Oh btw I'm convinced this is a troll (didn't you post the other day that your ex is going out with the guy you humiliated because he was gay?) but in the equally unsuprising case it isn't, I had to put that.

ReputationRep:
    I am so jealous of your girlfriends plans, i wish i could go surfing and cooking all round the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    So it's not about her, it's about you. You're scared she's going to find someone better and break up with you. How selfish.
    even tho he may be trolling, how on earth is being scared and caring for your partner being selfish? If you had a boyfriend/girlfriend you really liked you would do everything to not lose them right?

:lol:

(Original post by a10)
    even tho he may be trolling, how on earth is being scared and caring for your partner being selfish? If you had a boyfriend/girlfriend you really liked you would do everything to not lose them right?

:lol:
    The girls knows what she wants for herself, and the OP should respect that. It's selfish as the OP isn't taking into account her desires and plans and just wants for her to go to university so she can be close to him. It's pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    The girls knows what she wants for herself, and the OP should respect that. It's selfish as the OP isn't taking into account her desires and plans and just wants for her to go to university so she can be close to him. It's pathetic.
    yeah i agree on that point and he's probably trolling anyway if he isn't then poor guy

(Original post by a10)
    yeah i agree on that point and he's probably trolling anyway if he isn't then poor guy
    He's just scared that while she's travelling or whatever, she's going to find someone better and leave them.

ReputationRep:
    She is such a idiot. She is smarter than anyone I know, she is basically a math genius compared to people in her school yet she has no intention of going to university. She sat Physics, Maths and Further Maths and got A*A*A*+a in History.

I told her she would have a chance of getting into any university for maths, engineering, finance etc...basically any course she wanted to do. Yet she still decided on a gap year.

Since she was a kid teachers never really gave her the time of day really due to behaviour issues and because of this she was convinced she was stupid. However clearly someone close to her noticed something in her and got her well tutored in maths and within a couple of years she had come further than everyone in her class has in 5. The funny thing is she never seemed to care, she never asked to sit GCSEs or A-levels early, she just sat in the class and pretended she was learning new content. She said she didn't want the rest of the class thinking she thought she was above them. All she seemed interested in was bloody cooking food.

See, when she was 14 she wanted to become a chef and did that day release thing where you go to school 3-4 days a week and then work/go to college the other 1-2 to do a vocational trade (so she did catering). So on her gap year she worked as a full-time chef at a pretty good restaurant (nothing very fancy but well above the pay grade of a 19yr old so I guess she is somewhat decent).

So when I asked her if she wanted a hand with her personal statement she said, 'don't think I'll bother tbh'.

****ing couldn't believe what I heard after I said what are you going to do? She plans on travelling around the world with her surf board to all the best places in the world for food and surf. She says she'll work in restaurants or food stands if visas are not possible. She started telling me she would go to South East Asia, then Mexico and Central America before on to South America and then to Africa...as if I care about her silly adventures. She could be sitting in an office earning 6 figure salaries in a few years, but she is throwing all of it away to go play chef and surf around the world over the next few years.

I got really angry and left when I made her cry. So can anyone tell me what would be the best thing to say next time I see her that would convince her to go to university?
    You have the values of your middle-class, well brought up background. Doesn't sound like she does. Nothing wrong with a gap year, before uni is your only real chance. I advise young people to take as many gap years as they want to get the seeing-the-world bug out of their system.

Maybe she could go through university in like two years and be earning six figures at 21, but what about when she's 61 and too old and creaky to ever see anything but the inside of the office?

It's sad, because the depression is making young people think career is the be all and end all. I know this because I am one of them. It's a sorry existence to lead and I can see how it leads to the sort of little Hitlerism and petty Daily-Mail type sniping that dominates this country's politics.

Oh, and you sound like a nasty piece of work, denigrating her ambitions and making her cry. It pisses me off no end when I hear 18-year-old kids yakking on about their plans to tickle turtles' bums in Australia or Argentina or Arse-end-of-nowheresville, but I would never dare be anything other than supportive and interested. This is your girlfriend for Christ's sake, or are you only really with her because of the image of you she projects to the outside world? Psychopath.

ReputationRep:
    She's smart, she's capable of living her dream. To be a good chef you need intelligence and a naturally scientific mind. You should be encouraging her to go her own way and congratulate her guts for not taking the easy greedy route. You also need a good look at your priorities in life. You can't force people to care about academia just because to you the things that matters most are getting good grades, going to an elite uni to show how intellectual you are then getting a job with a hefty salary. Sound's like she's too smart for all that bull****.

ReputationRep:
    They see him trollin', they hatin'..

ReputationRep:

Hmm, sitting in an office 9 til 5 everyday, or travelling the world. Christ, I know what I'd rather do. You sound like a narrow minded prick tbh. You're one of those douchebags that thinks University and office jobs are the only way to live. ****ing get a grip.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cl_steele)
    Mmm judging by all those pretty red gems and his track record of threads I still smell troll but who knows.
    I could bet decent money on the fact that he is.
    • TSR Support Team

TSR Support Team

If I was the girlfriend I think I would be telling you where to go, she is perfectly entitled to a life. It doesn't have to revolve around you the whole time. If she wants to go travelling, let her do that, I am sure she would have been happy with you went travelling together, but stopping her going travelling is really selfish on your part. She has got to do what she feels is best for herself, why don't you support her rather than belittling her.

ReputationRep:
    Lol don't try to pretend you have a GF op, we all know you don't. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:

Why don't you go with her? or doesn't she want you to?? even if she did go uni, it might not be the same one as you and you might break up anyway. She can always decide to go later in life- chances are if she's 'forced' into it now she won't enjoy it and may drop out.

ReputationRep:
    Guys, I know that I can't make her do something she doesn't want to, but I am asking what can I say to make her change her mind. She will regret not going so I am doing her a favour.
    you do not know that.

I really like her and don't want to lose her. That isn't selfish
    Your actions are - your hiding behind you want whats best for her when in reality you want whats best for you. You dont want her to go away in case you lose her.

Guess what shes her own person and not your property, if she chooses to o away (and frankly it sounds a great idea) you have no right to stop and you CERTAINLY dont have the right to make her cry.
    • TSR Support Team

TSR Support Team
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    you do not know that.

Your actions are - your hiding behind you want whats best for her when in reality you want whats best for you. You dont want her to go away in case you lose her.

Guess what shes her own person and not your property, if she chooses to o away (and frankly it sounds a great idea) you have no right to stop and you CERTAINLY dont have the right to make her cry.
    Probably the best way of putting it, OP you don't own your girlfriend and therefore you cannot dictate how she lives her life.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 27, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.