Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    this just adds more to the fact that feminism is not for equality at all, as they much claim to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dark Horse)
    Then perhaps you could answer here what rights men have that women do not?
    This isn't the right thread for it either. This is a thread that actually focuses on intersectionality for once, and I don't want to turn it into a list of bad things to happen to women, and then jreid will list bad things that happen to men blah blah blah and I'm bored of it. I chose to comment to this thread and the other thread because the discussions actually interested me. What you did was take one sentence of one of my posts and asked for something that requires an essay to answer properly. It's not really surprising I can't be bothered to answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LittleMissNoface)
    There is a lot of discussion about this, and I was wondering about your thoughts.

http://fashinpirate.tumblr.com/post/...ove-you-but-it

http://prismpower.blogspot.co.uk/201...inists-or.html

For me I just don't know what white people are doing this,
    or am I just ignorant of the fact as I am white?
    I have a question too:

As an industry becomes more technical, more internationalized, more transparent and more meritocratic the proportion of (middle-class) white females employed within it tends to decrease:

e.g. software engineering, petroleum, vessel chartering/shipping, market finance, aerospace research.

As an industry remains non-technical, less open to foreign competition, with a higher linguistic barrier to entry, less transparent, more nepotistic and less multinational the proportion of (middle-class) white females employed within it tends to remain constant/increase:

e.g. fashion, public relations consulting, law, life coaching/therapy.

Discuss.

ReputationRep:
    I'm noting her inability to answer this question. Lmao.
    Oh okay, I don't think we should feel bad for someone for being different it is just patronizing, as a matter of fact quite of the people where I live are black, I don't feel resentment to people who live in a house because i live in a council flat it's just plainly going to make me a hater.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by effofex)
    I have a question too:

As an industry becomes more technical, more internationalized, more transparent and more meritocratic the proportion of (middle-class) white females employed within it tends to decrease:

e.g. software engineering, petroleum, vessel chartering/shipping, market finance, aerospace research.

As an industry remains non-technical, less open to foreign competition, with a higher linguistic barrier to entry, less transparent, more nepotistic and less multinational the proportion of (middle-class) white females employed within it tends to remain constant/increase:

e.g. fashion, public relations consulting, law, life coaching/therapy.

Discuss.
    Easy, choice a woman could do physics if she wants, but it's not common that they do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    absolutely sickening. these white guilt nutters make my skin crawl. How can someone be that stupid?

ReputationRep:
    I pity the stupidity of the people who read those blogs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jreid1994)
    Easy, choice a woman could do physics if she wants, but it's not common that they do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If it all comes down to choice, how come there are so many initiatives to prioritize recruitment of western women into those areas? Surely there wouldn't need to be if it was all just a matter of them choosing not to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtGoblin)
    This isn't the right thread for it either. This is a thread that actually focuses on intersectionality for once, and I don't want to turn it into a list of bad things to happen to women, and then jreid will list bad things that happen to men blah blah blah and I'm bored of it. I chose to comment to this thread and the other thread because the discussions actually interested me. What you did was take one sentence of one of my posts and asked for something that requires an essay to answer properly. It's not really surprising I can't be bothered to answer.
    You know, every time I've asked a feminist this simple question they have been unable to answer. You can't expect people to support or sympathize with your movement or share and acknowledge your beliefs on inequality when none of you are even able to explain the nature of or even prove the inequality exists.

ReputationRep:
    If it all comes down to choice, how come there are so many initiatives to prioritize recruitment of western women into those areas? Surely there wouldn't need to be if it was all just a matter of them choosing not to?
    I don't know why, because women in general have different career priorities to men, women can do A-levels in maths and physics, they choose not to. Anyway why isn't there a prioritization of getting men into nursing/hairdressing/primary school teaching/ psychology?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You know, every time I've asked a feminist this simple question they have been unable to answer. You can't expect people to support or sympathize with your movement or share and acknowledge your beliefs on inequality when none of you are even able to explain the nature of or even prove the inequality exists.
    Their so-called 'movement' has leeched off alot of class-based and race-based oppression over previous decades which they do not wish to face up to.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why, because women in general have different career priorities to men, women can do A-levels in maths and physics, they choose not to. Anyway why isn't there a prioritization of getting men into nursing/hairdressing/primary school teaching/ psychology?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They tend not to apply.

But if females are not willing to enter high-risk/high-paying professions then their complaints about a lack of equal pay are very often rendered invalid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LittleMissNoface)
    Yes, this is exactly what I was trying to articulate! Thank you!
    However this is where I feel a bit lost.
    I am white and I want to help other women,
    This is seen as irritating and I should deal with things I know about.

How can I as a white woman fight with non-white women for gender equality?
    Thanks. I don't think I am in the best position to tell you how to do feminism. I would be doing exactly I shouldn't do, that is, usurping the voices of women of colour. But I would strongly advice getting hold of the work of non-white feminists, especially bell hooks, Audre Lodre and Chandra Talpade Mohanty.

ReputationRep:
    They tend not to apply.

But if females are not willing to enter high-risk/high-paying professions then their complaints about a lack of equal pay are very often rendered invalid.
    So, women tend to apply to do engineering? It's honestly not that, in my classes this year A-level chemistry: boys 17 girls 15 biology girls 19 boys 15 mathematics boys 22 girls 7 and physics: boys 26 girls 2, tell me why is there a lack of girls in mathematics and physics then? Because any boy or girl with 7 Bs, including an A in mathematics and above could get in. Is it possible that women aren't applying either?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So, women tend to apply to do engineering? It's honestly not that, in my classes this year A-level chemistry: boys 17 girls 15 biology girls 19 boys 15 mathematics boys 22 girls 7 and physics: boys 26 girls 2, tell me why is there a lack of girls in mathematics and physics then? Because any boy or girl with 7 Bs, including an A in mathematics and above could get in. Is it possible that women aren't applying either?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If they aren't applying, why are there initiatives prioritizing their application? Why should the applications of equally qualified Russian/Chinese/Indian/Arab/Polish/Greek/Turkish etc. men be prioritized less than those of Western females, particularly if the latter aren't all that bothered about applying? Not very meritocratic, is it?

ReputationRep:
    Their so-called 'movement' has leeched off alot of class-based and race-based oppression over previous decades which they do not wish to face up to.
    That's a good point. Didn't think of it like that.

I always thought that if a woman applied for a high profile position and was declined in favour of a male then she would claim that the decision was sexist. Although those of us who think more rationally will just see that the company would choose the person who will do the best job for them, by looking at their credentials and experience.

ReputationRep:

I always thought that if a woman applied for a high profile position and was declined in favour of a male then she would claim that the decision was sexist. Although those of us who think more rationally will just see that the company would choose the person who will do the best job for them, by looking at their credentials and experience.
    Makes assumption about how a person would behave based on no evidence.

Claims to be rationally minded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtGoblin)
    Makes assumption about how a person would behave based on no evidence.

Claims to be rationally minded.

The lack of evidence is due to yourself and other feminists being unable to provide any in regards as to how you're being oppressed.

ReputationRep:

Their movement has been more than willing to trample on the welfare of working-class men and on the welfare of blacks in the past:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebecca_Latimer_Felton

The next 20 years will show that no amount of 'feminism' can ever rig the free market.

ReputationRep:

In actual fact, many women simply do not apply for many technical positions if you look at application data. As I mentioned on another thread I was in contact with a Dutch recruiter at a securities trading franchise who mentioned that he had not received a CV with a female name over the past 3 years over which he had recurrently advertised one position.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.