Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Lifting weights instead of cardio? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by USRaphael)
    So I'm overweight and want to lose weight, the thing is I hate cardio its boring. I can row for 20mins max and maybe 15more on the bike five times a week which I know isn't enough to lose serious weight (I'm eating healthily too and playing basketball and hockey three times a week). If I do this and weight lifting four times a week is it likely that I can lose weight despite spending more time lifting than cardio? I want to lose about 30lbs by August. To what extent does lifting help with weight loss?

Sorry to sound like such a noob, I googled and found lifting helps burn more calories but I was wondering is it sufficient to lose quite a bit of weight without doing loads of cardio too?

Thanks for any help!
    remember, losing weight is 80% eating less 20% exercise.
    i went to the gym twice a week for about 6 weeks and nothing happened...and then someone told me this rule, i cut my portions and still eat the same things i love (oven food ) and have lose 3lb in two weeks <3

but seeing as youre a boy, eat less junk, eat more protein and turn that fat into muscle GOOD LUCK XXXXXXXXX

ReputationRep:
    I do the 2:5 diet. It's great - especially if you don't have a lot of will power (like me)

It's fasting for two days a week so you can go nuts and eat whatever you want on the other 5!! I'm 11 stone, but I'm 6ft tall, so I'm actually fairly skinny, but all of my weight is in my hips... This has shaved a stone off my weight in three weeks - no word of a lie.

If you're a boy, reduce your calories to 600 on two days (look at soup, they're quite low normally) and drink a lot of water. For girls, it's 500 calories. Then the other days, you don't have to count. Go mad - eat cake - you still lose weight!!

Plus I feel more awake and healthier too. It's worth just trying - the first day is tough, but it's worth it. The health benefits are numerous as well - plenty of studies online. Read up about it first if you're concerned about side effects or if you have any health conditions (especially diabetes).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cuki)
    I do the 2:5 diet. It's great - especially if you don't have a lot of will power (like me)

It's fasting for two days a week so you can go nuts and eat whatever you want on the other 5!! I'm 11 stone, but I'm 6ft tall, so I'm actually fairly skinny, but all of my weight is in my hips... This has shaved a stone off my weight in three weeks - no word of a lie.

If you're a boy, reduce your calories to 600 on two days (look at soup, they're quite low normally) and drink a lot of water. For girls, it's 500 calories. Then the other days, you don't have to count. Go mad - eat cake - you still lose weight!!

Plus I feel more awake and healthier too. It's worth just trying - the first day is tough, but it's worth it. The health benefits are numerous as well - plenty of studies online. Read up about it first if you're concerned about side effects or if you have any health conditions (especially diabetes).

Posted from TSR Mobile

No. If you eat obscene amounts, you will not.

Most people aren't so pathetic that they need to resort to things like this anyway. Far better to eat sensibly and neglect all of these days of hunger.

ReputationRep:
    or you could just .....you know....go for a run three times a week or somthing. Still matters what you eat although you don't have to be anorexic for 2 days of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sylosis)
    soreness is a result of some kind of injury, or that you are not adapted to the type of training you're doing
    so again, why would you ever 'aim' to get doms?

Please familiarise yourself with what you are talking about before talking about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed...uscle_soreness

If you still hold the same opinion after reading that page, that's fair enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pegasus2)
    Please familiarise yourself with what you are talking about before talking about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed...uscle_soreness

If you still hold the same opinion after reading that page, that's fair enough.
    What am I meant to be looking for here?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hypocrism)
    The idea is that after you gain resistance to DOMS, ie you recover quickly or need a higher training load to get DOMS, you can train more without having long DOMS recovery periods. So you occasionally train past DOMS threshold to raise that threshold, and so allow yourself a higher training load in the future, since you can train more without getting DOMS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I still can't make any sense of that. From what I can understand from that, it seems meaningless

ReputationRep:
    I still can't make any sense of that. From what I can understand from that, it seems meaningless
    (Original post by Wiki)
    It is caused by eccentric (lengthening) exercise, which causes microtrauma to the muscle fibers. After such exercise, the muscle adapts rapidly to prevent muscle damage, and thereby soreness, if the exercise is repeated.[2]

Delayed onset muscle soreness is one symptom of exercise-induced muscle damage. The other is acute muscle soreness, which appears during and immediately after exercise.
    Basically, in order for hypertrophy to occur, muscle damage needs to occur. This is in the form of microtrauma (small tears) in the musclee tissue and this is what DOMS is. The body then repairs this damage and to prevent it occuring again, reinforces the muscle tissue with more muscle fibers.

So basically, if you want to build muscle DOMS is good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hypocrism)
    The idea is that after you gain resistance to DOMS, ie you recover quickly or need a higher training load to get DOMS, you can train more without having long DOMS recovery periods. So you occasionally train past DOMS threshold to raise that threshold, and so allow yourself a higher training load in the future, since you can train more without getting DOMS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Why do you need to raise the "threshold?" Progressive overload is all that matters. Increasing the workload is a moot point. If you're making progress already why would you need to increase workload? This has nothing to do with DOMS either way.

I think you have a misconception that the level of soreness is related to progress. It isn't.

Also it's not DOMS if you recover quickly. That's nothing. You know when you have DOMS as you can barely move the joint/muscle and the aches get severe after a couple of days, rather than improve as with regular aches.

I've never heard the concept of "aiming for DOMS" as someone suggested earlier. What a load of bull****.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by concubine)
    No. If you eat obscene amounts, you will not.

Most people aren't so pathetic that they need to resort to things like this anyway. Far better to eat sensibly and neglect all of these days of hunger.
    Most people don't call other people "pathetic". I guess some people are just trigger happy and senseless like that though, eh?

I find it difficult to stick to sensible foods while working full time, studying part time and being a single mother. I guess if some people live at home with mummy and daddy or don't have those other responsibilities, then they have time to eat sensibly.

Ps, to anyone who is actually interested "all these days of hunger" amounts to two days a week and for the other five, you appreciate food more and don't feel guilty about that slice of chocolate cake. Personally, I like food. I don't want to have to count calories every day - it's soul destroying!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cuki)
    Most people don't call other people "pathetic". I guess some people are just trigger happy and senseless like that though, eh?

I find it difficult to stick to sensible foods while working full time, studying part time and being a single mother. I guess if some people live at home with mummy and daddy or don't have those other responsibilities, then they have time to eat sensibly.

Ps, to anyone who is actually interested "all these days of hunger" amounts to two days a week and for the other five, you appreciate food more and don't feel guilty about that slice of chocolate cake. Personally, I like food. I don't want to have to count calories every day - it's soul destroying!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Educating yourself and eating sensibly is not hard.

People can make all the excuses they want but they're still excuses, and they're always weak.

ReputationRep:
    Why do people say doing Cardio isn't really important to Weight Loss. As in you're pretty much giving off the impression that Running is worthless for losing weight. Doesn't running burn calories, which results in less fat so you eventually lose weight? What am i missing. I've been doing Cardio pretty much every time i've gone to the Gym, along with the Resistance machines and free weights.

I want to lose weight. Currently my Cardio is an hour on the treadmill a week and about 20 mins on the Bike machine. Is this pointless then?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sir Phillip Jones)
    Why do people say doing Cardio isn't really important to Weight Loss. As in you're pretty much giving off the impression that Running is worthless for losing weight. Doesn't running burn calories, which results in less fat so you eventually lose weight? What am i missing. I've been doing Cardio pretty much every time i've gone to the Gym, along with the Resistance machines and free weights.

I want to lose weight. Currently my Cardio is an hour on the treadmill a week and about 20 mins on the Bike machine. Is this pointless then?!
    It's great for weight loss but not necessary. You can lose weight via nutrition alone.

It's like running 20 minutes on a cardio machine or not eating that cookie in the first place? Easy choice.

Cardio has many other benefits (keeps fat burning pathways open , improves cardiovascular health which is far more important than carrying a bit of fat) but trying to burn off many thousands of calories over weeks and months is more easily achieved via dieting correctly. Cardio is assistance. Keep doing it (it means you can eat more too) but you need to sort out what you eat.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    are you trolling?... I can't seriously can't tell
    Yes, I am obviously trolling, can't you see? As for clarification, and ease of access, I am providing you with the already provided, aforementioned posts:

(Original post by DSCF0911.JPG)
    With his weight loss aims, that is the deficit required. Baring in mind that the actual residual calorific expenditure will vary on his metabolism and existing muscle mass.

I based the deficit on losing 3kg per month, or 110g a day which translates roughly to a 900kcal daily deficit.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2275403

Generally eccentric muscle action is linked with contracting DOMS, and also over the short term (3 months/12 weeks) has shown benefits over purely concentric muscle action, which is more associated with resistance training...

While I agree with both chigz32 and concubine about it 'sometimes happening and sometimes not', and it being an unreliable way to measure how effective a work out has been, I do maintain that if you changed your method of exercise to not only resistance vs cardio, to include DOMS inducing muscle motion (ie eccentric http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_...ic_contraction) then the short amount of time OP has to lose 14 kg could have more optimised work outs for his goals.

Finally, while building muscle strength and muscle mass could be seen as gaining weight, it will increase his metabolism and baseline use of calories.

I hope this explains.
    (Original post by DSCF0911.JPG)
    I half-replied in my previous post, but:

I agree with a lot of 'fat burner/weight loss' supplements to be a waste of time, but the ones listed have been quite rigorously tested, I suggest examine.com, it has some cool reviews for most supplements and has a look at all the studies linked to it, etc.

The DOMS and deficit were addressed in my previous post.

If you have any more questions, I'm happy to help you understand.

Cheers

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.