Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What do guys think of girls who swear? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rascacielos)
    How does "bloody hell" sit with you all? I am guilty of a lot of verbal diarrhoea when it comes to that phrase.
    I say that a lot, I know a girl who says bloody a lot... She sounds weird saying it, but yeah I use it a fair bit.

Instead of having to "swear" (with the other words)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspirinpharmacist)
    Ok, if I switched it to good old Shakespearean insults, what about that? Because they are truly stunning, they really are. :lol:
    "Thou whoreson, thou senseless villain!"

"He is deformed, crooked, old and sere,
    Ill-faced, worse bodied, shapeless everywhere;
    Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind;
    Stigmatical in making, worse in mind. "

"They have a plentiful lack of wit."

Roflol. Haha, that'd be pretty cool, really. XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    I say that a lot, I know a girl who says bloody a lot... She sounds weird saying it, but yeah I use it a fair bit.

Instead of having to "swear" (with the other words)
    That's pretty much why I use it - in place of 'proper' swearing. I would prefer to not use it but I'm actually not sure what to say in its place. "Oh darn and blast!" doesn't quite sit right.

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind aslong as it isn't regular. If she says it sometimes thats fine but not like in every couple of sentences...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rascacielos)
    That's pretty much why I use it - in place of 'proper' swearing. I would prefer to not use it but I'm actually not sure what to say in its place. "Oh darn and blast!" doesn't quite sit right.
    Hahaha darn it! :ahee:

Plus, bloody is more personal, like conveys my emotions

You ****ing ****.
    You bloody stupid cow.

I'd be more offended by the latter

ReputationRep:
    I really couldn't care less re: gender of the person swearing, their swearing just has to be tasteful, and meaningful for me to approve.

Billy Connolly does it wonderfully: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-FzOxc14d8

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    Not the end of the world but very unladylike
    This is pretty much my opinion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahchan)
    I dont know why girls can swear..

what are we supposed to say instead when we are in a crappy situation?
    "Oh, fuuuu... fiddlesticks! I knew I should have stayed in the kitchen! "

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't really judge a girl for doing it when I swear way too often and casually myself. I've got close friends who are all okay with the C word, as am I, so it just kind of slips into our normal conversation, and, if i'm not careful, into conversations I have with other more reserved people too, which isn't good.

That said, I think the context is important. If I'm actually angry with someone, I do my best to never swear at them as I don't want to be that aggressive sounding ****er, cos I'm really not.

In short, I don't mind swearing, but I don't much like outward aggression, so it's how you use swear words I'd care about more than actually using them in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    I met a girl that used to say things like "flip" and stuff when she was mad. I preferred that to someone who swears. S'funny.

ReputationRep:
    After reading this thread......I'm never get a boyfriend I swear like all ****ing time. Oops did it again..

ReputationRep:
    I like girls who aren't afraid to use the full range of vocabulary bestowed upon them.

ReputationRep:
    I do not like girls swearing regularly. However I would date a girl who swore regulalry, I would just try and help her curb her habit.

ReputationRep:
    Out of context or too frequently I find it chavvy, vulgar and obnoxious. It's fine to swear in pain or extreme misfortune or even happiness. However MOST of the girls I know who swear a lot come across as doing so because they're unable to come up with other words which would more adequately express their emotions, which displays very unattractive maturity and intelligence levels.

ReputationRep:
    I don't because I feel slightly awkward but I have an immature sense of humour so when boys do it jokingly I get amused

ReputationRep:
    I'm actually very surprised at the responses here. I find swearing in girls to be a neutral characteristic at worst and actually an attractive one in certain circumstances. I swear a lot myself, so it would be hypocritical to expect girls to refrain, but that's not the only reason. Swearing can be used to be funny, to demonstrate intelligence - and sometimes it just sounds right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspirinpharmacist)
    Never actually had a guys perspective on what they think of girls who swear, it's a bad habit of mine admittedly, my friend and I were going to give it up for Lent, it didn't last. So I thought I'd ask you men of TSR, what are your views on girls who swear?
    disgusting behaviour and instant turn off

ReputationRep:
    This isn't limited to girls but people - I don't like overly swearing in general myself. Time to time is ok, but being constantly exposed to it ever 5 seconds can be quite an annoyance.

ReputationRep:
    I swear occasionally, mainly the F word. But this is because some of my friends say it in every sentence, that Ive unhealthily picked up on it and keep saying it myself.

I am really trying to stop but it just slips out. But literally 2 of my friends its in every one of their sentences! So its really hard to not subconsciously pick up on it too.

Still trying to quit though!

ReputationRep:
    I find vulgarity repulsive in terms of anybody xD I can't take it in men or women, not the general crowd I'm comfortable with. It is a large majority of people who swear to be honest D: but I'm very uncomfortable with it. The occasional splurgh of anger YES I understand but just MOTHERDUCKING WHAT THE DUCK DUCKING CAKE HEEEEEY BROOOOO I JUST DUCKING HAD SOME DUCKING CAKE IT WAS DUCKING CHOCO-DUCKING-LIIIITTTT. <- PEOPLE ACTUALLY talk like this D: well the people I know at least. QUITE horrendous imo.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 30, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.