Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What do you think of girls who take "selfies"? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I make a point of providing critical feedback on every 'selfie' they take, if its a good photo I put comments like "I would tap dat" or "fapfapfapfap", if there's room for improvement I put stuff like "foundation much? you look like a drag queen lol", "backlighting makes your face look like a fat heff here" or "not enough titty showing on this one".

ReputationRep:
    very bothersome indeed but they'll blow anyone up who says it to their face!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I wonder if they could still post 'selfies' from within a deep hole? Let's test this out.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't take any selfies until the other day and that's because I'm the only one in my flat and I didn't want to revise so I got bored and played around with my hair and stuff and then finally worked out how to use my webcam so I took a few selfies. I felt so ashamed afterwards. :lol: Isolation got to me. As a rule I hate it when people take loads of photos of themselves.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's pretty sad. A couple is nice, but it does come across narcissistic and vein. I have one friend who has hundreds of photos, 3/4 of which are of herself taken by herself. It's far more endearing when people have pics of themselves naturally smiling with friends.

ReputationRep:
    I don't get it. I'd feel silly putting a picture up (anywhere) that I've taken myself, especially if I'm by myself in that picture too.

Even worse is when you see their arm in the picture showing they've taken it themselves. At least try to cover it a little.

My Sister moans about men doing it more though - haha.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Could not give less of a **** about them, although when they pull that damn duck face i instantly wish it was duck season -_-

ReputationRep:
    for some reason it's infinitely more repulsive when it's dudes

ReputationRep:
    Personally I like to think they are too dumb to locate the bathroom and find a mirror.

Probably not, but it's possible :unsure:

ReputationRep:
    Someone who has more than a few is doing it for attention or a love of themselves and is not a cool look.

Seems kinda childish.

Also comes down to the fact anything you post on facebook is to earn you place in the competition that is life (or how you represent you life online).
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Don't really care normally as i'm sure most people take the odd picture of themselves. It does get annoying when the same 2-3 girls constantly clog up my newsfeed though. The worst ones are when the phone/camera is in the shot too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iJess)
    I'm not facebook famous I've never got like 70 likes on a photo but if I'm going anywhere nice or with friends we tend to take pictures and post them on facebook haha, I do take pics on instagram a lot but don't link those ones to my facebook so I don't look vain haha, I certainly don't take them every day though
    The heck is "Facebook famous"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJKay)
    The heck is "Facebook famous"?
    Guess you are fortunate enough to not have the type of people on facebook I do lol. There's a lad that's alright in person but on facebook he is so stuck up like 'like my profile picture and I'll like back' or 'like this status and I'll like your pictures but must be following first' haha he has 900 and something likes on his profile picture

ReputationRep:
    Definitely more important things in my life/ the world for me to think about than how many pictures people are uploading of themselves to their own social networking account.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Substantia)
    On the contrary, I would argue that it shows insecurity and a lack of self confidence. Alot of people are looking for reassurance about their image and getting 70 likes on a photo is their way of dealing with their insecurity.

(Note: Of course not all people who take 'selfies' are like this but it seems to me that many are.)
    Or perhaps they're not insecure, just want to further inflate their egos? But, to be honest, if you know you're going to get loads of attention by putting up these photos the majority would do it.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be honest, my Facebook is covered in cheesy posed photos like the plague. :sigh:

When I go out on the weekends with my friends, I will wake up the next day having been tagged in several photos, hair a mess, eye makeup down my face, loo roll attached to my shoe and they'll be all over my profile like some dirty rash.

I also upload several 'selfies', far less than what I used to, but still probably far more than I should. :erm:

I wouldn't say this is down to confidence, or lack of it. Usually it's boredom and/or for the sake of messing about with them on editing programs.

If it really bothers you that much, hide someone from your news feed/block and delete them?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by sr90)
    Don't really care normally as i'm sure most people take the odd picture of themselves. It does get annoying when the same 2-3 girls constantly clog up my newsfeed though. The worst ones are when the phone/camera is in the shot too.
    Exactly, the ones where they use the mirror for taking the photos is just pure annoying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ezekiella)
    Especially when it has a caption like "#comeatmebrah #dench #ladsontour2013" :facepalm:
    Haha, the #nofilter hashtag really irritates me whether it's a girl or boy :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I do it so people know who I am when they go on my profile. I might take a new one every time I change my hair (eg. dye it a different colour). Other than that people know what I look like so there's no need.

having said that, I used to take quite a lot when I was younger, back in the days of MySpace. I was lot more vain then than I am now.

ReputationRep:
    I find people that take loads of pictures of themselves repulsive.

People that insist upon spending nights out taking pictures of themselves and friends in the same dumb poses over and over are just as bad.

**** these people. Most of the time they look **** anyway.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 28, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.