Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Knee Pain After Squatting Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Blind Monk)
    General advice for knee pain:
    1) start to foam roll/use a lacrosse ball on your quads/IT band/calves/piriformis
    2) Do the couch and piriformis stretches.
    3) Learn to use a voodoo floss band on mobilitywod (use a bicycle inner tube)
    4) Do something like DeFranco's Agile 8 before you lift (which includes some of the above advice.)
    Ok I got a foam roller and have started using it. I've also been doing the Agile 8 stretches, with a hamstring stretch thrown in. I can't say for sure that it's made a difference to my squat yet, as I'm not going to start squatting again until Wednesday.

One thing I will say, though, is that foam rolling the IT band is extremely painful. It's often unbearable, tbh. I don't know if that's because mine are in extremely bad condition, or that they're supposed to be tight, but all I can say is day-to-day I haven't felt the action getting any easier.

ReputationRep:
    You hitting parallel while squatting?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dark Horse)
    Having some issues with both knees due to squatting at the moment. I don't want to risk snapping it up so I've replaced squats in my program with deadlifts, temporarily.

I was wondering how to improve flexibility to remove this problem? The pain is an intermittent stabbing pain that has gradually got worse over the past few weeks. It doesn't hurt when I do working sets, but it's somewhat uncomfortable during warm-up sets. The pain is at it's peak 24-48 hours after a workout.

On Starting Strength and I do squats with a "High Bar" position.
    Don't know if anyone suggested it already (I don't want to read 5 pages lol), but swimming is a good way to strengthen your knee muscles and to help with flexibility. If you have strained the muscle or tendons in any way, you should be careful with the exercise you are doing. Swimming will help because you get the movement without putting weight on it. If there is any bruising or swelling you should see your doctor, it could be a pulled tendon or tendonitis which may need treatment.

ReputationRep:
    Ok I got a foam roller and have started using it. I've also been doing the Agile 8 stretches, with a hamstring stretch thrown in. I can't say for sure that it's made a difference to my squat yet, as I'm not going to start squatting again until Wednesday.

One thing I will say, though, is that foam rolling the IT band is extremely painful. It's often unbearable, tbh. I don't know if that's because mine are in extremely bad condition, or that they're supposed to be tight, but all I can say is day-to-day I haven't felt the action getting any easier.
    It is pretty normal for it to hurt a lot. Mine certainly did. It takes a considerable period of time for them to loosen up.

ReputationRep:
    Foam rolling your IT band is pretty much useless. On the other hand, I've found targeting the shin muscle and calves have worked wonders.

Lower the weight.
    Work on your form. Repetition. Repetition. Get it perfect.
    Buy weightlifting shoes.

ReputationRep:
    Ok I had a 14 day break from squatting to let the knee pain subside. After returning to the rack yesterday and squatting a lower weight, and by going past parallel, the knee pain is back again.

It's weird because I never ever had this problem when I was doing Starting Strength last time. Clutching at straws here but I think the squat rack could be part of the problem. Due to the way it's built, if someone was to squat parallel then the bar would clash with the frame of the rack, so I have to take 3-4 steps backwards to do my set. Also could be a problem with the way I un-rack the bar. But, again, this i all clutching at straws.

Just so I'm not taking any chances that it could be a form issue, I'm going to lower the weight even further and film my sets. I resent having to spend money but I'll also be buying some weightlifting shoes, as I'm currently wearing astro-turf trainers to the gym and supposedly footwear makes a huge difference.

On a side note: really wish I could squat low bar, tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Form video is a great idea, and weightlifting shoes are brilliant but shouldn't be necessary. Why can't you squat low bar? (sorry if you explained that earlier ITT!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Implication)
    Form video is a great idea, and weightlifting shoes are brilliant but shouldn't be necessary. Why can't you squat low bar? (sorry if you explained that earlier ITT!)
    I was doing very well with the low bar squat until I got to a certain weight. After that I started getting elbow, bicep and wrist pain. Apparently some people don't have good enough shoulder flexibility to low bar squat, and so can't create the "wedge" with their arms that holds the bar to the rear delts.

Tried everything from diligent shoulder stretching to widening the grip as much as possible, but the problem persisted.

ReputationRep:
    I don't get why you can't just squat with a higher bar position and similar lower body mechanics to a low bar squat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Blind Monk)
    I don't get why you can't just squat with a higher bar position and similar lower body mechanics to a low bar squat.
    The bar would be over the mid-foot in such a case.

ReputationRep:
    I had this, although i think mine was from when i tried out jump squats. Anyway i just gave mine a few days rest, and massaged it and did a few light stretches over 2-3 rest days. I've squatted twice since and it feels good as new

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.