Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Guys: do you find girly girls attractive? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brendonbackflip)
    As a girl, I found some of the answers to this a little startling Screaming when seeing your friend getting injured is attention seeking? what?
    I'd say that Screaming would be more on the far too sensitive side, it was Rugby people were bound to get some sort of minor injury (if its a major one, then screaming is more realistic)

ReputationRep:
    Have a soft spot for girlie girls - there is a limit though. They can wear clothes OTHER than pink, high pitched voices can get annoying at times. Depends how people change from every day life to a night out

(Original post by madfish)
    very
    Haha do you just see us as a quick shag though or actually relationship material? Lots of the "intellectual" guys I've met have only seemed to want one thing out of me lol...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maryamlondon)
    girls who hate girly girls are normally girls who want to be girly but cant get away with it and are jealous so try to put down feminine women but deep down they want to be beautiful and wear attractive clothes haha. For all the girls who are making rude comments on this thread
    If this is indirectly aimed at me, then I am definitely not jealous, and I definitely do not hate those girls or any girly girls. I am girly myself! I also wear girly things and like to act feminine, I'm just not girly in the sense that I talk about what clothes look good on people. I don't ***** about somebody if I don't like what they are wearing or if their makeup isn't to my taste. I don't ***** about someone looking fat or look in celeb magazines and gossip about who's put on weight. These girls are extremely *****y, and to say they are best fiends, one was *****ing about another (supposed to be best friends) for buying her the wrong perfume! This is when I think being girly is a bad thing. I am girly, however I am my own person and let other people be their own person. I am definitely not jealous for one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Haha do you just see us as a quick shag though or actually relationship material? Lots of the "intellectual" guys I've met have only seemed to want one thing out of me lol...
    People can be a bit judgemental and up their own **** sometimes, especially these 'intellectual' guys who in my experience have turned out to be pretty shallow themselves. Watching Gossip Girl or reading gossip magazines is a very small part of who you are and if people think that you are one dimensional because of that then they're the ignorant ones. I get it all the time, people think because you're into fashion that you must be an airhead or something. There's nothing wrong with being 'girly' in itself.

That being said, there are things you mentioned that do make you seem insecure (the thread question itself, for example) and if anything that is what will be unattractive to guys, not being girly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucyab)
    If this is indirectly aimed at me, then I am definitely not jealous, and I definitely do not hate those girls or any girly girls. I am girly myself! I also wear girly things and like to act feminine, I'm just not girly in the sense that I talk about what clothes look good on people. I don't ***** about somebody if I don't like what they are wearing or if their makeup isn't to my taste. I don't ***** about someone looking fat or look in celeb magazines and gossip about who's put on weight. These girls are extremely *****y, and to say they are best fiends, one was *****ing about another (supposed to be best friends) for buying her the wrong perfume! This is when I think being girly is a bad thing. I am girly, however I am my own person and let other people be their own person. I am definitely not jealous for one.
    That's not being girly, that's being a *****. That kind of ****ging people off behind their backs is also not exclusive to females.

ReputationRep:
    If this is indirectly aimed at me, then I am definitely not jealous, and I definitely do not hate those girls or any giry girls. I am girly myself! I also wear girly things and like to act feminine, I'm just not girly in the sense that I talk about what clothes look good on people. I don't ***** about somebody if I don't like what they are wearing or if their makeup isn't to my taste. I don't ***** about someone looking fat or look in celeb magazines and gossip about who's put on weight. These girls are extremely *****y, and to say they are best fiends, one was *****ing about another (supposed to be best friends) for buying her the wrong perfume! This is when I think being girly is a bad thing. I am girly, however I am my own person and let other people be their own person. I am definitely not jealous for one.
    I don't know why you would make the assumption that I was making that comment toward you out of all these comments. But I definitely wasn't. I read a few comments from girls who rather than just making a friendly humane comment they took it as a opportunity to try to scrutinise the girl for starting this thread. I don't know why only you though I was making that remark to yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, these are the traits that I definitely do not find attractive.

• able to stand up for myself directly but often come across as quite emotional (e.g. I was watching one of my guy friends play rugby the other day, he got tackled and looked injured and I screamed and clapped my hand over my mouth)
    • get annoyed when girls say they get on better with guys "because there is less drama" - how can you be a girl and not respect your own gender?
    • very active on FB etc. and am the sort of person who takes a lot of photos with my friends of us pouting and stuff and makes comments like "you look great babes x". I can speak with perfectly good grammar, though - I feel it's just part of the fun of being a girl
    But other than that, yes, I find them attractive. Apparently I have the unpopular view.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nomes89)
    That's not being girly, that's being a *****. That kind of ****ging people off behind their backs is also not exclusive to females.
    I agree, but I got neg'd for giving these girls as an example of why I don't like talking about clothes/makeup. Because that's all that usually that comes from the girls that do! I am yet to come across a nice girl that has full on conversations about clothes/makeup. But that's probably just the school and college I've been at.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why you would make the assumption that I was making that comment toward you out of all these comments. But I definitely wasn't. I read a few comments from girls who rather than just making a friendly humane comment they took it as a opportunity to try to scrutinise the girl for starting this thread. I don't know why only you though I was making that remark to yourself.
    I have only seen comments on the first page, mainly from boys. I haven't seen any of these nasty comments. It just seems coincidental that your comment was posted straight after mine, and mine didn't exactly back the OP up for being the way she is. Although I didn't scrutinise her either. It just seemed aimed at my comment because I didn't show myself to be girly. My mistake if it wasn't.

ReputationRep:
    I agree, but I got neg'd for giving these girls as an example of why I don't like talking about clothes/makeup. Because that's all that usually that comes from the girls that do! I am yet to come across a nice girl that has full on conversations about clothes/makeup. But that's probably just the school and college I've been at.
    I suppose in a way it's true, it's hard to talk about stuff like that without giving an opinion, and let's face it that's usually a negative one. It's *****y when people start saying things like 'she looks like a tramp' but actually there's nothing wrong with saying you don't like what someone's wearing, especially if it is particularly atrocious

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind girly girls, as long as they're not too girly (i.e. talk about nothing other than girly programmes and celebrities, wear tons of make-up daily, and are emotional in some way (instead of being apparently heartless).

ReputationRep:
    [*]get annoyed when girls say they get on better with guys "because there is less drama" - how can you be a girl and not respect your own gender?
    Maybe it's stereotypically respectable/acceptable in our society for women to be melodramatic, and some girls hate that? :dontknow:

(Original post by PinkyQT)
    '
    PS. cheerleading ain't a sport
    xoxo
    Cheerleading is a sport and a difficult one at that. Haven't tried it myself, I would fail miserably, but it does take a lot of strength, flexibility, and good cardio.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robbie242)
    I'd say that Screaming would be more on the far too sensitive side, it was Rugby people were bound to get some sort of minor injury (if its a major one, then screaming is more realistic)
    Far too sensitive fair enough (even if that is one of my own traits ) it was just the 'attention-seeking' that shocked me. though people tend to label a lot of girls' actions as attention seeking too quickly in general, which is a little frustrating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IlexBlue)
    That detailed enough for you?
    Exhibit A - the *****y 'girly' girl

Seriously, what makes you think you're better than her?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not *****y or particularly girly. She asked for thoughts and I gave mine.

I don't think anyone is better than anyone else either, but there are certain traits in people I find intensely annoying and she has most of them. It's irritating when girls act a certain way to fit in with the crowd or pander to guys instead of getting any kind of identity of their own.

If you think I'm wrong, I point you to the fact this thread is asking men if they think she's attractive.
    I think she is insecure yes, but she's probably also quite young so give her a break. I'm not like this myself but not everyone has a lot of self-confidence and look to other people for re-assurance. I don't see why she should be torn apart for this. None of that makes her generic or an airhead and it certainly seems like you're putting self on a pedestal when you claim '80% of girls these days are like this' (obviously you believe yourself to be in the minority).

Yes you may have your opinions about 'girliness' - I don't particularly like to be that way either - but it get's a bit personal when you call someone bland, boring and a bimbo based on very little information and belittle her achievements.

Plus having a brain, a sense of culture and intellect doesn't mean you can't be a down to earth person who watches tv and does normal things.

(Original post by Nomes89)
    I think she is insecure yes, but she's probably also quite young so give her a break. I'm not like this myself but not everyone has a lot of self-confidence and look to other people for re-assurance. I don't see why she should be torn apart for this. None of that makes her generic or an airhead and it certainly seems like you're putting self on a pedestal when you claim '80% of girls these days are like this' (obviously you believe yourself to be in the minority).
    Just to clarify, as stated clearly in my OP, I asked this thread out of curiosity. Obviously you guys can't see any of my other posts as I'm anon but I often post random questions on TSR for the fun of it; it's hardly looking to others for reassurance or being insecure, any more than asking whether people prefer Oxford or Cambridge when one has an offer from the former or if people prefer cats or dogs when one has five dogs. It's interesting hearing others' opinions (apart from when they're ill-informed rants).

ReputationRep:
    Some of the girls' replies on here are so *****y. I really dislike it when people think they're superior to others because they don't have mainstream interests. It's so stuck-up and just absurd. It reminds me of the girls you get who tell everyone about their love of Call of Duty and watching football because they want to be seen as "one of the guys" as they think that will make them more attractive (obviously there are girls who generally like those things but you know the girls I'm talking about who just pretend).

As for the OP, at least you're being yourself. You understand some of your traits are perceived negatively and you still embrace them. I respect you more than someone who acts fake. Some people would respond to the "intellectual guys'" responses with changing who they are and trying to force themselves to suddenly become interested in politics or whatever.

Also, if I want to watch Gossip Girl and wear make-up I'm going to. It doesn't make me "insufferable" or any of the other adjectives used to describe the OP. I think the important thing is balance which the OP seems to have. No-one likes a bore who is only interested in academic related things and no-one wants a "totes superficial" kinda girl.

ReputationRep:
    girls who hate girly girls are normally girls who want to be girly but cant get away with it and are jealous so try to put down feminine women but deep down they want to be beautiful and wear attractive clothes haha. For all the girls who are making rude comments on this thread
    Are you mentally deficient? Which poster objected to OP wearing feminine clothes?

ReputationRep:
    Actually, my life is pretty good, and lacking in whatever jealousy or bitterness you're telling yourself I have to comfort yourself about the fact that someone said something you don't want to hear. In fact, it's certainly better than yours, because I'm not the one anxiously seeking reassurance (oh! Curiosity. Right.) on my single status from boys by listing my personality in a stupidly long and detailed post and then taking offence when it's not what I want to hear. Nor am I so massively materialistic or superficial that I take any interest in "fashion" and obsess over pieces of fabric (there is a big difference between taking care of your appearance and pointless vanity), or give a flying **** about the vapid world of celebrity the media pushes in my face to drink up, because my own life is so dull and shallow I actually find interest in the lives of people who are even more self-absorbed than myself.

It's funny how in trying to make me out as the insecure ***** with an attitude, you only show yourself up as one to someone who's opinion you supposedly don't care about. Tell me, if you're not a sheep, then why do you feel the need to "talk like this babes xxxx" - ah, the whole "fun part of being a girl thing." Sure. That's not rubbish if I've ever heard it. I didn't know the fun part of being a girl was acting like a complete bimbo unnecessarily.

And that part where guys who wouldn't like you because they'd find you tedious must just be "geeky" (very year 8, by the way) and insecure - aha, sure. You're not bothered or threatened at all.

It's also hilarious you think being in Model UN somehow negates everything else you've said and actually makes you intellectual.

Your whole response has all the cattiness and intelligence of "I'm a bratty high schooler" written all over it and if you really did not care, you wouldn't have even been remotely so bothered to go to such lengths to try and reassure me you didn't.

"I'm not as much of a bimbo as you make me out to be! ...even though I made a thread seeking reassurance that I'm not in the eyes of men."

""
    Lol exactly. OP wanted opinions on whether her characteristics were attractive or not, but as soon as someone has something against them she starts frothing at the gash

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 28, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.