Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So you get given too much change Watch

• View Poll Results: What would you do if you were given too much change?
    I'd pocket it
    52.56%
    I'd give it back
    47.44%

ReputationRep:
    It's more hassle for them having to put back the change - especially if it's a bunch of tiny coins. Keep the money.
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    I would give it back. I'd feel guilty...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    Not sure how Stalin fits in to the retail sector tbh...
    My point was that karma doesn't work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llewellyn_J)
    My point was that karma doesn't work.
    Karma will get you in the end

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    Karma will get you in the end
    Back to Stalin's life and how he lived in the lap of luxury for 70+ years, and was responsible for the torturous deaths of tens of millions of people. While many innocent children in Africa die before they reach the age of 10 of disentry and cholera, in very little luxury at all, having done nothing wrong. Karma demonstrably does not work.

ReputationRep:
    In a bar once I gave a cashier £5 for a £2 drink. She gave me £18 change. Kept it while lolling with friends over whether she was gonna get sacked for it or not.

ReputationRep:
    i'd give it back, but if i was in a bad mood i'd just be like **** it and keep it

ReputationRep:
    I would give it back for sure.
    One guy gave me £10 too much change once, I literally had to fight with him for a few minutes to give it back to him.

ReputationRep:
    I'd keep the change. It's their job to count the money, not mine. I don't even really count change before I put it in my wallet, I just pocket it and trust their ability to count properly.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on what else has happened in that shop prior to me being given my change.

If they've done nothing to upset me or just made a simple mistake that anyone could, then I'd give it back. If they'd been unhelpful, rude or had made the error because they were also chatting to their mate at the same time as serving me, I'd keep it.

ReputationRep:
    I don't count the change I'm given - it's usually such a small amount that it's immaterial; a few pence, or a couple of pounds at most - so I just take whatever I'm handed and put it in my pocket without a second thought.

ReputationRep:
    It depends, if I count my change there and then I'll give it back, but if I only realise I have too much change when I'm half way down the street I honestly doubt I'll go back and give them the extra change.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)
    I'd keep the change. It's their job to count the money, not mine. I don't even really count change before I put it in my wallet, I just pocket it and trust their ability to count properly.
    This can kind of come back to bite you on the ass one day in the event they don't give you enough change.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    This guy in front of me in the sandwich shop paid with a £5 note, then when the lady working the till went to give him his change, he said he'd paid with a £10 note, so ended up making a profit and getting a free lunch. He then laughed to his friends about it. I thought it was an awful situation as it was a small business.

I think unless you're doing something like the above, it's not a big deal. A couple of pounds either way doesn't make much difference. As an ex sales assistant, we do make mistakes now and then and managers accept that as long as it doesn't happen too often. Making mistakes because you're talking to the customer and providing good service is acceptable, mistakes because you were chatting or not paying attention aren't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice Constricter)
    This can kind of come back to bite you on the ass one day in the event they don't give you enough change.
    I suppose, but I'm fairly quick on the ball. I'll go as far to note how many pound coins I've been given, and the rest (paper aside) doesn't really bother me.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I don't normally count my change when they give it back to me so i probably wouldn't notice. If i did notice then i would smile and give it back, would feel too gulity haha

ReputationRep:
    I would probably realise i have the wrong change, then naturally just tell the person i have too much change, then regret saying this afterwards because i tend to say things without thinking it through! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    It only ever happened to me once and I didn't give it back. I was buying a pair of sunglasses for £8 and gave the cashier a £10 note and she gave me £12 back. Whoops!

ReputationRep:
    I would have kept the money, why would they have lost their job?

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.