The Student Room Group

Best playmaker of the last 20 years?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tengentoppa
It's hard to define Totti as a player but I think in Italy they call him a trequartista which is akin to a playmaking forward. I guess his inclusion is contentious though. I agree with the rest of your post.

I think if you consider Totti a playmaker, you'd have to think of Messi as one (I do realise that Messi has played as a playmaker for Argentina in the past) because they both play in the same style (sitting between the midfield and defence and bringing the CBs out of position).

I don't class Messi nor Totti as a playmaker, personally, because I think they're both much more renowned for being so much more than that. I think if you consider them playmakers, you've opened up a whole host of other players that you've already touched on like Bergkamp, etc. I prefer to narrow down the list of playmakers rather than open it up, but it's definitely open to interpretation.
(edited 11 years ago)
Other - Peter Whittingham :wink:

Bluebirds!
Has to be Zizou for me. I may be splitting hairs, but I'm not 100% sure that Totti should be on that list. He's a trequartista and not really a playmaker like the others per se.
Reply 43
Original post by LewisG123
I'd question anyone's football knowledge if they claim Marco van Basten is known for scoring one goal

Posted from TSR Mobile

talk about racist...
Reply 44
Before: probably Zidane, Riquelme and Bergkamp.

Now: Alonso, Xavi, Iniesta and Pirlo.

Posted from TSR Mobile
For it is Zidane
Reply 46
It's quite a difficult poll to vote on. Kind of needs to be a bit more specific and split into Best Regista and Best Trequartista. Totti, Bergkamp, and even Messi could all be classed as 'Playmakers' then
Reply 47
Zizou hands down, best playmaker ever.

Zidane>xavi+iniesta+ronaldiniho

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DorianGrayism
Can you argue against this?

Brilliance!

That was a joy to watch.
Maybe if it was the last 16 years,I'd say Zidane.But,ten years kinda filters out Zidane's performance in the 98 WC and the UCL in 2001,I think.So,it'll have to be Dinho,Iniesta,Xavi or Kaka.
Deep lying - Xavi by some distance

Advanced - close between Zidane, Iniesta and Laudrup
Reply 51
This pro-Pirlo bias of the modern era is absolutely unbelievable. Zidane was a superior player - it's literally undeniable.
Original post by L'art pour l'art
Germany vs Italy, world cup semifinal, 0-0 for 117 minutes then this happens:

[video="youtube;OKWelB-enUo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKWelB-enUo[/video]

What a team we had that year, I'll never forget the image of that German kid crying when ADP scored the second goal haha
Original post by anonstudent1
Kaka was voted the best player in the world in 2007 and Alonso has been an important part in the greatest national side there has probably ever been. Bergkamps ability and achievements pale in comparison.
Also they are both clearly playmakers, where as Bergkamp was perhaps inbetween a playmaker and a supporting striker.
Im shocked that out of that list, you chose Alonso and Kaka, two of the most accomplished and gifted playmakers.

It's not Bergkamp's fault he was light years better than all of his teammates (bar maybe Kluivert in the Dutch side in 1998 for instance and he still scored what is probably a top 3 goal of all time in the WC. As a no. 10 Bergkamp is far far superior to Kaka and Alonso. As a standard playmaker Kaka is right up there. But either way there is very good reason to question that decision. There's a reason Henry says he's the best player he's ever played with (which includes the likes of Xavi and Zidane even).

If by playmaker we mean proper no. 10:

1. Zidane
2. Bergkamp
3. Xavi
Just watch this if you aren't clued up on the genius that is Dennis Bergkamp (6:50 onwards):

[video="youtube;U5zFMhugXY8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5zFMhugXY8[/video]
(edited 9 years ago)
Bergkamp. No question about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Stu Laverty
I have an issue with some of the players in this poll because it sometimes confuses attacking midfielders for playmakers. Some attacking midfielders can be playmakers (Zidane, Riquelme, for example), but some are definitely not (Totti was never a playmaker).

Are you serious? Totti is regarded as one of the best advanced play-makers in Italian history, only behind the likes of Baggio. By your definition, Platini wasn't a play-maker, neither was Ronaldinho, Del Piero, or Bergkamp in his earlier years... makes little to no sense.

Quick Reply

Latest