Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    It's some bull**** that people adhere to to look trendy.

Karma also presumes an objective moral system. Everybody knows objective morals are *******s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Karma is about the next life. The good luck you have in this one (according to belief in Karma) is the result of good conduct in previous lives. Given how horrible you (say you) are now, you will most likely end up as a worm or a sandfly in the next one.
    lol..

I've read some of your posts, and you always state that morals are completely arbitrary and subjective. yet know you seemingly believe in an inherent goodness?

Perhaps those with non-congruent systems end up as worms or flys in the next life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fergiewasright)
    lol..

I've read some of your posts, and you always state that morals are completely arbitrary and subjective. yet know you seemingly believe in an inherent goodness?

Perhaps those with non-congruent systems end up as worms or flys in the next life.
    As politicians would say, I "don't recognise" your description of my moral positions.

Condemned by non-congruence to a next life of anti-Karma?? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kateislate)
    And/or have you had any experiences with Karma? I'm not really sure where I stand on the matter personally. It'll be interesting to hear peoples responses
    If by karma you mean the idea that people reap what they sow and "deserve" the bad things that happen to them, then I think it's offensive tripe and false.

The universe is a cold, indifferent place. It's up to use to make it a warmer, brighter place.

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe in karma. If you are selfish or greedy you are only increasing your chances of survival. In terms of evolution it's a natural thing and therefore it is good for the individual.

But I do believe the universe has to come to an equilibrium, if that is something karma is suggesting, then I agree with that. Such ideas are demonstrated in natural phenomena such as diffusion or osmosis.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I do believe in karma.

ReputationRep:
    lol.. if all of you are atheists, how can you believe in karma?

ReputationRep:
    No, but to an extent I wish it did. The people who act like pricks seem to get everything.

ReputationRep:
    No, not in the slightest. Well - I do believe in the basic concept at its root to an extent; that is, that concept of cause and effect, but I don't subscribe in any way to the value-judgments applied to the causes and effects - the idea that good actions yield good effects and bad actions yield bad effects. The world is capricious and ambivalent to human affairs.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Not as a metaphysical force, but only in the restricted sense of a product of nice behaviour to others begetting nice behaviour from others to you. If we're talking about being rewarded with good things generally, then the rule can be easily overridden by forces that act contrary to it, for example the shrewd manipulation of others for personal gain. It is quite possible in this world to experience much success as a horrible person, and quite easy to experience little as a charitable one.

But perhaps selflessness is a virtue primarily because one does not expect to be rewarded for it.

ReputationRep:
    It's nice to think about.

The idea that if you do good things, good things happen and do bad things, bad things happen.

I believe it, in a strange way.
    I think that do gooders are happier in the long run, not due to 'karma' but just simply because doing good makes you feel better about yourself and more often than not if you do good by someone they will repay you in the same way.
    If you treat people like crap, then more than likely they will do the same in return or just won't help you when you need it.

For anyone who has seen 'Derek', I would say he is a perfect example.
    The character Derek (played by Ricky Gervais) has a heart of gold, he does his best to help everyone and to make them happy and in return they do the same for him and it works out in his favor I suppose.
    If you've not seen 'Derek', you should. :mmm:

This is the final episode, so don't watch this if you plan on watching the series. :nooo:

I think this episode sums up my point quite well. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I believe in its practical applications. If you are altruistic and take positive decisions then people are likely to be generous to you in return, and you will likely feel luckier. The converse is also true. I don't believe that there's a big chalkboard in the sky keeping tally of your sins and services, but it's still a useful principle to live by.

EDIT: Obviously this also means that I think the stuff about past and future lives is BS.

ReputationRep:
    It is honestly just wishful thinking.

ReputationRep:
    When you look round the universe, everything has a balance, so why not our actions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    I think Karma is such a horrible idea. If I won the lottery and had to dread someone close to me dying or something I'd think life was so unfair. People always love the idea of Karma working to punish people who've wronged them, but never think how it might apply to them if they have a lucky break.

ReputationRep:
    Not really, no.

I think there is some justice according to behavior. Either to the extent that someone 'wakes up' from their behavior and realizes what they've been or that someone who's behaved badly will be revealed in one way or another and that they will face the consequences.
    I also think that if you're the type of person to make the best out of everything, you can take advantage from anything that happens to you. People who think that "everything happens for a reason" and "either you're a blessing or a lesson" usually have this mindset.
    My ex was disrespectful and kind of an ******* to me, to the extent that I believe he has some issues, possibly a narcissist (he is ridiculously vain and has no genuine care for others although he appears like the most sensitive, loving man in the world at first). He does appear to have a good life, but I know that you cannot have a happy relationship with a narcissist in the long term. I couldn't, and his new gf probably can't either. I don't think he'll be struck by karma though, he might live happily on his own somehow. You just have to learn to ignore it - I can't be bitter if he's happy, the important thing to me is that I'm happy.

But no I don't think something magically strikes from above to do justice to people.

ReputationRep:
    No, because it suggests that every action/happening/event is either a justification, or will be justified. And unless time is in a circle, I don't really think karma is a solid theory.

I would like to believe in it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.