Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is your opinion of teenage pregnancy? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IsthatmaryX)
    Yeah, it totally is an issue that in many ways is difficult to blame a main cause. Teenagers should be teenagers enjoying childhood and teenage years without the pressures on looking after their children when they haven't experienced looking after themselves properly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yea, especially when a child starts a life with a child...

ReputationRep:
    I know about 6 girls/boys that had a child at age 15-18 from my school and some of them, including the one that had her baby at 15 are such great parents! I think as long as the child is loved and cared for it is ok.

However one of these girls had a baby when she was 16 and she was very childish and immature herself and judging by what I have heard her say, I feel very sad for her baby.

Another girl who had her baby at 17 smoked weed/cigarettes/drank alcohol throughout the whole pregnancy. The baby does not deserve that and it makes me so sad that this girl could not provide the bare minimum for her baby-health!

So overall it depends on the maturity of the teenager having the baby and the love that they provide the baby.

ReputationRep:
    My sister had a child at 16 and her partner was 18 both unemployed and a bit naive, 3 years later there both working and have grown up quickly and have accepted they need to commit themselves to the child and we all have been blessed to watch him grow so in my view its not the pregnancy that is the big problem it is how the parents deal with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IsthatmaryX)
    Woah, what a story. Teenagers just should be teenagers being safe and not wanting to grow older quickly in my opinion haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    true..people underestimate how important are life experiences...look yourself at 22 and look at 16 or 18...huge differences in terms of knowledge ,judging, personality and more...

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's the age that is the problem- it's whether a girl/woman is in the right place mentally, physically and economically to have a child at that time. There are a lot of women who are 30 who wouldn't be good mothers, or who would have to struggle because they don't have much money, whereas some of the teenage mothers I know have jobs, as do their partners, and they've worked hard to give their children the best possible life.

I always say that, providing a mother is paying for her own child (ie not having them just to sit on benefits forever more like the stereotype suggests all are doing) then we can't complain. It might not be a life choice that we would make, but their life choices are their business if they're providing for them, therefore we cannot comment.

On the other hand, I do think that there is something wrong with girls who get pregnant on purpose with the sole intention of being given a council house and benefits. I have to say that I honestly believe this counts for the absolute minority. I know of a number of teen mothers, and some have their own jobs, some are being provided for by their families while they carry on with education, however there are some who seem to be using children as a free meal ticket, and that upsets me.

But that's not unique to the teenage population either. I had a friend who's mother used to brag that she was in "profit" with her child benefit because she didn't have to buy new babies anything once she'd had a girl and a boy (she now has 6 children) and that they were a "really profitable thing to have". That's a shocking way to think of a child. I also had a friend who left school without any GCSEs, managed to get a job in McDonald's (this was before the economic crisis- that wouldn't be so easy these days) and absolutely hated it because she had to work hard. So she got pregnant, got a council house, and that's where she's been for the past 6 years. Child has been in school for almost 2 years now, and her and her partner both live at home, so one of them could work, but she would lose her benefits if that happened, so she won't do it.

What I do think is an absolute shame is the fact that there ARE some brilliant teen mothers out there who just get put under the same category as the immature little kids who are just trying to make a bit of cash.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of girls in my year have had children, some while we were at high school and some since we left. A few have turned out to be decent Mums but I do get the impression that a lot of them use their babies as an accessory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annarchy.)
    I personally think they're at the age where they start becoming more and more responsible for themselves and they can freely choose on their own knowing the consequences, if they choose to take the risk then they are going to have to face the consequences IMO.
    Although most teenagers I know of are hardly financially independent and just leave the child rearing to their parents, which isn't really fair on them
    Moreover, not a lot of them are as mature as they would be if they were say... 28 for example. I personally believe you ought not to have children until you're old enough to support your self financially.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bottled)
    Although most teenagers I know of are hardly financially independent and just leave the child rearing to their parents, which isn't really fair on them<br />
    Moreover, not a lot of them are as mature as they would be if they were say... 28 for example. I personally believe you ought not to have children until you're old enough to support your self financially.
    <br />
    <br />
    I couldn't agree more, I notice Jeremy Kyle pretty much lives by that opinion too :P however i don't think there is much that would prevent the teenager having a teenage pregnancy, most teenagers have sex education from age 11, and it was certainly drilled into me at school, i think its just teenagers beiny overly ignorant of consequences really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Makebelieve15)
    It shouts 'irresponsible' to me. That child, statistics show, is far more likely to live a life of poverty compared to other children.

Not all teenage pregnancies are because of irresponsibility. I think that is such a ridiculous small minded way of thinking. Not all teenagers are educated properly in all schools, did it ever occur to you that sometimes contraception doesn't work properly? You shouldn't judge people before you know the facts.

ReputationRep:
    i think your wrong there
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I don't support or admire teenage pregnancy but its the girls life and her own mistake or gain to make. I don't agree all teenage mums are bad mums, you can get bad mothers at any age, not just young.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think because our society is more promiscuous and open about sex means that a lot of teens are curious which results in teen pregnancies, which I honestly fail to understand. The problem isn't having sex, the problem is having unprotected sex which is unacceptable as not only is it taught in schools including the different types contraception and how effective they are but also the fact that they are available almost everywhere!

But then again credit to all those teen mums that are responsible and still manage to stay in education

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It must be a vary brave thing for a young girl to do. I'm not saying its a good thing but in most cases the mother is doing what she thinks is right.

ReputationRep:
    As long as they can cope then I don't see the point of shaming them etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.