Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sunderland sack Martin O'Neill Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Four Queue)
    I don't care who manages Sunderland, but as a neutral I'm glad they've hired a guy who will actually make their interviews interesting. O'Neill is the cure for insomnia. The most boring, montone manager ever.
    Di Canio is perfect for Sunderland FC and Sunderland City he a Facist and racist he will fit in just fine.xxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    What a joke, Di Canio has in no way shown he's a manager capable of managing at the top level. If he hadn't had his playing career he wouldn't have even been considered.
    I suspect that Sunderland won't being needing someone capable of managing at the top level. Their remaining fixtures are daunting!

ReputationRep:
    Sunderland players, with the lethargy they've shown in games as of late, are perfect for Di Canio to shove a rocket up 'em. Tough fixtures but they still in a good position compared to other teams below so it's about mixing the feel good factor of a new boss with performances to get a win or two to claw safe.

ReputationRep:
    Not related to football but here goes: I don't agree with di Canio's political views but why is everyone making such a song and dance over it. We live in a country where you are free to hold whatever political belief you want as long as you don't infringe on other people's rights and liberties. He's a football manger for christs sake! Until he comes out and says something racist, he can't be accused of it. If/when he does, then he should be absolutely lambasted and hounded out of the country. The reason why our grandparents fought against numpties like the nazis are so people can free to be idiots or unique or whatever, within the bounds of not negatively effecting other people.

Also, Millibands a right ****. He and his family came out with such sycophantic bull**** when notorious lefty Eric Hobbsbawm died. This is a man who said that all the deaths Stalin ordered and caused would have been worth it had it created a perfect communist state and explicitly condoned the Soviets marching into Prague.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't be surprised if Sunderland went down, I was even more surprised when I heard O'Neil had been sacked, there only a few games left to go and your not far from the relegation zone, the results weren't good I admit but the seasons closing in and you need a manager who actually knows the squad and players. Now that O'Neil has left they have Di Canio, who was during quite well in the Football League, but this is the Premier League, two big steps up, I don't know if he has the right amount of experience yet to guide Sunderland away from the relegation zone, I feel as if he managed to manage in the Championship he'd be able to get a bit of the better understanding of Premier League teams from those who were relegated. Di Canio has a right to his opinions but he makes them very openly, and fascism is associated with racism etc, showing the reason why a lot of people don't think Di Canio is a person who should come to Sunderland, I don't think so either, not because of his political but because of the state of the club is left in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soul of Mischief)
    Not related to football but here goes: I don't agree with di Canio's political views but why is everyone making such a song and dance over it. We live in a country where you are free to hold whatever political belief you want as long as you don't infringe on other people's rights and liberties. He's a football manger for christs sake! Until he comes out and says something racist, he can't be accused of it. If/when he does, then he should be absolutely lambasted and hounded out of the country. The reason why our grandparents fought against numpties like the nazis are so people can free to be idiots or unique or whatever, within the bounds of not negatively effecting other people.

Also, Millibands a right ****. He and his family came out with such sycophantic bull**** when notorious lefty Eric Hobbsbawm died. This is a man who said that all the deaths Stalin ordered and caused would have been worth it had it created a perfect communist state and explicitly condoned the Soviets marching into Prague.
    Obviously you don't agree with the Kick It Out campaign that everyone backs.

Next you'll be saying Luis Suarez shouldn't have been banned for making racist comments because he was just speaking his views in a country where we fought to be able to do that?

Give me a break and get out this forum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vintage)

Next you'll be saying Luis Suarez shouldn't have been banned for making racist comments because he was just speaking his views in a country where we fought to be able to do that?

Hardly even close to being comparable. Luis Suarez abused another person in an unacceptable manner, but PDC has never been accused of any kind of racial abuse by anyone. His political views are a private matter and by all accounts he keeps them entirely separate from his footballing life.

I dont understand why people necessarily equate fascism with racism. Granted the two often go hand in hand but PDC is essentially a supporter of Mussolini, and his ideology had little or nothing to do with racism. Fascism is essentially hyper nationalism, and a desire for your country to be centrally run in a very autocratic manner. Fascism is not nazism, and is not particularly rare in Italy anyway so maybe that's why we find it stranger than PDC does. Meanwhile, if he was a hard line Che Guevara supporter no one would bat an eyelid.

Bottom line is that he's a football manager employed to win games of football. There is no reason to think that he will discriminate against any players or act in an unacceptable manner. So drop the outrage and let the man do his job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)

So drop the outrage and let the man do his job.
    Maybes Suarez wasn't a good example. I could always mention Glenn Hoddle. Sacked as England manager for his beliefs about reincarnation.

Hopefully his job is to see the scum get relegated. Will do for me.

ReputationRep:
    Maybes Suarez wasn't a good example. I could always mention Glenn Hoddle. Sacked as England manager for his beliefs about reincarnation.

Hopefully his job is to see the scum get relegated. Will do for me.

Hoddle went about publicly with his obnoxious views. If he just said ''I have my own private views on reincarnation which have nothing to do with my job'' then he wouldnt have been sacked.

But PDC played for Lazio, a well known right wing club, and just responded to the fans with a fascist salute in the heat of the moment. He was asked about it in an interview directly and he just said ''yeah I'm a fascist'' and that's what people have been going on about since. So Hoddle was quite different in that he chose to bring his controversial opinions into his job whereas pretty much everyone admits that PDC keeps his opinions to himself.Its not like PDC is turning up on the touchline in an SS uniform and bringing up fascism in public is he?

ReputationRep:
    Hoddle went about publicly with his obnoxious views. If he just said ''I have my own private views on reincarnation which have nothing to do with my job'' then he wouldnt have been sacked.

But PDC played for Lazio, a well known right wing club, and just responded to the fans with a fascist salute in the heat of the moment. He was asked about it in an interview directly and he just said ''yeah I'm a fascist'' and that's what people have been going on about since. So Hoddle was quite different in that he chose to bring his controversial opinions into his job whereas pretty much everyone admits that PDC keeps his opinions to himself.Its not like PDC is turning up on the touchline in an SS uniform and bringing up fascism in public is he?
    Nazi saluting in a stadium twice, admitting you're a fascist and praising a figure like Mussolini is not keeping his opinions to himself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    Nazi saluting in a stadium twice, admitting you're a fascist and praising a figure like Mussolini is not keeping his opinions to himself.
    In fairness he was returning a salute from Lazio ultras, so he wasnt just randomly saluting the family stand or anything. He shouldn't have done that but you can tell from the photos that he was in a frenzy and wasnt in control. and AFAIK he just responded to an interview question about his politics with a few honest sentences, he didnt invite the question and hasnt talked about it since.

The culture is much different in Italy anyway and PDC knows that. Mussolini's granddaughter was recently an MP for a Fascist group for example so its not fair to judge his actions for an English perspective where 99.99% of english fascists are simply hate filled neo-nazis. Di Canio has never even come close to any kind of fascist actions in England and I would be surprised if he did at Sunderland.

ReputationRep:

OK then.. What about that recent player who was banned from ever playing for his country again when he celebrated with a Nazi salute? (According to him he didn't mean it. at the time).

Also his appointment has brought facism into the public eye.

I have no doubt his appointment will all end up in tears... Luckily it'll be the scums tears.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Funny how this 'brilliant' of a manager hasn't managed to get any job since been sacked.

Heard Zola's got it.
    He's too big for those jobs. Only job he would have got would be the QPR job and he dodged a bullet. Or do you want him to go to a championship job after winning the champions league?

(Original post by sevchenko)
    Be happy he got the Job this could work in Arsenal's favour, Chelsea's odds to win against Sunderland just got slimmer the Di Canio effect might just spur the Sunderland players. Chelsea could drop points and Sunderland meet Spurs on the last day of the season
    Yeah, sure man. If hazard, ba and mata got injured then yeah sunderland will get points from us at stamford bridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    Di Canio has passion and has demonstrated he has some managerial quality whereas Shearer never fitted the role he was given.
    Since when has result in league 2 been an indictment for demostrating managerial ability akin to the PL. Both are just as unproven as each other.

But my point wasn't meant to a comparison between the two, merely stating the result he'll get as both took over at similar time with their team in similar situations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    Lets not forget the tattoo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soul of Mischief)

Why is Miliband been put under the microscope? All the guy did was say I don't want to me associated with a proud facist.

In fairness he was returning a salute from Lazio ultras, so he wasnt just randomly saluting the family stand or anything. He shouldn't have done that but you can tell from the photos that he was in a frenzy and wasnt in control. and AFAIK he just responded to an interview question about his politics with a few honest sentences, he didnt invite the question and hasnt talked about it since.

The culture is much different in Italy anyway and PDC knows that. Mussolini's granddaughter was recently an MP for a Fascist group for example so its not fair to judge his actions for an English perspective where 99.99% of english fascists are simply hate filled neo-nazis. Di Canio has never even come close to any kind of fascist actions in England and I would be surprised if he did at Sunderland.
    He did it on more thann one occassion...........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Since when has result in league 2 been an indictment for demostrating managerial ability akin to the PL. Both are just as unproven as each other.

But my point wasn't meant to a comparison between the two, merely stating the result he'll get as both took over at similar time with their team in similar situations.
    Can't wait tbh. Sunderland are such a boring uninspiring team. The sooner they're out of the division the better. At least villa are safe. Wigan will be fine as always, the whipping boys do give us entertainment than the drivel we're subjected to at sunderland, bolton mk2.

ReputationRep:

Did you even read what i wrote. I said as soon as he does or says something racist then he should be strung up for it. Fact of the matter is he hasn't (yet). He's given a fascist salute, which although may offend people deeply is not illegal and does not necessarily mean he's racist. Again I said the whole point of this country is that people have freedom WITHIN CERTAIN BOUNDS, one of which is obviously that racism on any way shape or form is disgusting and more importantly illegal. But again you just jumped to write the claptrap above without reading what i wrote properly.

You're are a judgemental mug though arnt you though by accusing me of racism when you know next to nothing about me. Other people on this forum will know that one of the reasons I hate chelsea so much is because people I'm close to a lot of people have been on the receiving end of racist insults and beatings from Chelsea fans of old. Stop looking for a reason to be offended and brand people something they're not.

I have family who are black and Indian. So honestly just wind it in you mug.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Why is Miliband been put under the microscope? All the guy did was say I don't want to me associated with a proud facist.

He did it on more thann one occassion...........
    Fair enough. That was an unrelated point. I just dislike David Milliband I find him to be an abhorrent man and complete hypocrit. But I wouldn't want to be associated with a fascist either.

The thing with this whole Di Canio thing is quite simple. Fascism is an abhorent political ideology. I think it's a reprehensible and idiotic belief system to hold. But PDC is free to be an idiot until he oversteps the mark. If he does, then he should be nailed.

ReputationRep:
    OK then.. What about that recent player who was banned from ever playing for his country again when he celebrated with a Nazi salute? (According to him he didn't mean it. at the time).

Also his appointment has brought facism into the public eye.

I have no doubt his appointment will all end up in tears... Luckily it'll be the scums tears.
    Please understand the context of the salute when Italians do it. The straight arm salute was originally used by Roman soldiers to hail each other. Hitler adopted it into his ideals because he respected the Romans and wanted to be like them. When some Italians use it its a sign of extreme Italian pride and nationalism. Tbh I don't care about his views as long as he doesn't discriminate against people, political and football should mix just let the man get on with his job. Typical British press making a big deal out of nothing

(Original post by jam277)
    Yeah, sure man. If hazard, ba and mata got injured then yeah sunderland will get points from us at stamford bridge.
    Weren't you pretty sure of victory at Southampton ? all I'm saying is that the Sunderland team is a wildcard with Di Canio in charge. He isnt going to provide a tacical advantage but he will give the player a boost and with a out of form Chelsea that could provide disastrous for you

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 3, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.