Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The best way to lose weight? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foghorn Leghorn)
    I've never heard so much bull**** in my life! Seriously you have absolutely no idea what you are talking so please do not comment. 6 hours to burn 500 calories :facepalm: The ignorance coming from your post is astounding!
    I meant you would need to run for 6 hours to burn 3500 calories (i.e. enough to burn a pound of fat). I don't think that was particularly unclear with a little bit of common sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DorianGrayism)
    No, the stuff about cutting out carbs is crap.
    It's not utter crap to say "watch your carb intake" but I agree with you if someone was suggesting trying to cut them out altogether (practically impossible, but I expect some people have tried).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rascacielos)
    It's not utter crap to say "watch your carb intake" but I agree with you if someone was suggesting trying to cut them out altogether (practically impossible, but I expect some people have tried).
    Yeh, I agree. He was suggesting to cut out sugar all together which is insane. There is no need to. Especially when you are aiming for 1800 calories,

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, I agree. He was suggesting to cut out sugar all together which is insane. There is no need to. Especially when you are aiming for 1800 calories,
    I probably should have read his posts before commenting on yours, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucia.)
    Rascacielos is right. My dad is a scientist and we talk about this a lot. It's diet that really counts.

I know that I've lost the weight I've lost mainly through diet but I adjust my calories using an online counter to factor in the exercise that I currently do - a military fitness class 3 x a week and some running. I put my calories up, upped my protein intake, only eat fresh food now and the weight is dropping off at a rate of about 1lb a week. I actually plateaued for 4 months before I started dropping the weight again.

It works differently for each individual in terms of getting over a plateau but changing it up helps. I changed what type of food I ate as well as eating fewer calories. I never eat my exercise calories back because even though the exercise hurts, I don't believe that it burns more than 200 or 300 calories max.
    my dad works for the london underground and i'm telling you are talking nonsense.

Well, having pure orange juice instead of Diet Coke is worse. Diet Soda has next to nothing in terms of calories.
    its the sugar though. thats the problem with just counting the calories. You have to look at what your actually eating or drinking. There is alot of sugar in coke and too in fruit juice.

Eating too much sugar causes blood sugar to rise rapidly
    People who eat too much sugar can gain weight because of the rise in blood sugar and its effect on metabolism and the body's ability to burn fat.

No, the stuff about cutting out carbs is crap.

cutting down on carbs will help in weight loss..
    carbs are sugars. well kinda

(Original post by Rascacielos)
    Not lies at all. It's a well-known principle.

The average person who wants to lose weight is most likely overweight because they eat the wrong stuff. Cutting down by just 500 calories every day is going to take off around a pound every week. To burn that amount of calories solely through exercise, you'd have to run for 6 hours at a decent pace - that's of course assuming the average person can run for that long, even over the course of a week.

I think it's pretty obvious that for the average person wanting to lose weight, it's much more suitable to choose the first option of cutting back on calories as their primary way of losing weight. Exercise is an important aide, but I firmly believe it's not the key ingredient.

Half of the slim people you see have probably never exercised in their life. I'm not saying that's a healthy way to live at all... but it's usually due to them eating very little. Hence, lower calorie intake.
    boy oh boy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muckoz)

its the sugar though. thats the problem with just counting the calories. You have to look at what your actually eating or drinking. There is alot of sugar in coke and too in fruit juice.

I am talking about DIET Coke. There is no sugar in Diet Coke.

That is why replacing Diet Coke with orange juice is silly.

Eating too much sugar causes blood sugar to rise rapidly
    People who eat too much sugar can gain weight because of the rise in blood sugar and its effect on metabolism and the body's ability to burn fat.

cutting down on carbs will help in weight loss..
    carbs are sugars. well kinda
    Ummm....no. That is not true. Your sugar intake does not have anything to do with you body's ability to burn fat.

ReputationRep:
    I am talking about DIET Coke. There is no sugar in Diet Coke.

That is why replacing Diet Coke with orange juice is silly.

Ummm....no. That is not true. Your sugar intake does not have anything to do with you body's ability to burn fat.
    er yes it does.

ReputationRep:
    er yes it does.
    How?

ReputationRep:
    With you being a carer, plan your meals and do workouts at home that fit around your life. (Not a plug by the way, the workouts just work for me)....I rave about fitness blender (google it) Free workouts online that range from interval traning, cardio, weights ect and give you a rough est about how many calories you will have burnt.

Do not cut out any food groups! Your body needs carbs, especially if you are exercising for a start. Any one that says cut out sugar doesn't know what they are talking about. Fruit has natural sugars, without sugar your cells would not work btw.

If you have a smartphone I would reccomend my fitness pal, it's a free app. you can log what you have eaten and what exercises you have done etc. It is also online.

Maybe try 1500 cals a day for now until you can plan your exercise. P.S. do not eat the calories you have burnt through exercise, a trap people fall into all the time and wonder why the aren't losing weight.

ReputationRep:
    Cardio cardio cardio! And cut down on foods with saturated fats. Instead of eating fried food like chicken, steam it. More greens, substitute carbs. Brown bread instead of white etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The very best way to lose weight is to find a sport that you enjoy so that you have the motivation to do it regularly. Do you like cycling or running or any of those endurance sports?

ReputationRep:
    low carbs diet+ training is the best way imo
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Am I only one who is face palming at the amount of crap being written?!?!? :rolleyes:

Eat less, exercise more - it is that simple

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    Am I only one who is face palming at the amount of crap being written?!?!? :rolleyes:

Eat less, exercise more - it is that simple
    You're not the first to say that, but it's the straw that broke the donkeys back. It's not that simple, you can go much further into it; specific diets, specific exercise regimes etc... Everything can be boiled down to a one line "it's as simple as that" sentence, it never is. It's just an unhelpful, useless and unintelligent thing to say.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How?
    Good old insulin.

you chow down on a sugar filled goody your body increases insulin production/output.

insulin inhibits the release of glucagon - stored "fat" - to be used as energy, instead telling your body to absorb the sugar from the blood to prevent toxicity, thus increasing your stored fat and not decreasing.

therefore - you intake alot of sugar, your body will always be building fat, not reducing it.

Becomes more visibly evident when you see a diabetic that has injected insulin for a few years - they get an increase in fat localised around stomach due to focused insulin injecting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manderton)
    Good old insulin.

you chow down on a sugar filled goody your body increases insulin production/output.

insulin inhibits the release of glucagon - stored "fat" - to be used as energy, instead telling your body to absorb the sugar from the blood to prevent toxicity, thus increasing your stored fat and not decreasing.

therefore - you intake alot of sugar, your body will always be building fat, not reducing it.

Becomes more visibly evident when you see a diabetic that has injected insulin for a few years - they get an increase in fat localised around stomach due to focused insulin injecting.
    Well, protein also increased insulin output. So, the logical conclusion of your post would be to cut out protein and carbohydrates?

Also, glucagon isn't stored fat. So, you don't know what you are talking about.

ReputationRep:
    high intensity interval training in the morning on an empty stomach

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knalchemist)
    I have been trying to lose weight, but it's not working too well at the moment. I currently weigh about 190lbs, I'm 5ft5 and I'm 25yo female.

I'm counting my calorie intake, using an App for my phone (MyFitnessPal). Based on my level of activity I do at work, it tells me I can eat about 1800 calories per day (that is at a 500 calorie deficit per day).

I am on the repo-provera injection for contraception. Since I've been on this I've put on weight, but I've been bopping around the 180 - 190lbs mark for over a year now.

I go to the gym, but probably not regularly enough. I currently go once per week (sometimes less), as I'm caring for my boyfriend at the moment. When I am at the Gym I'm there for just over an hour doing a routine a personal trainer put together for me (Walk on treadmill for 10 mins, 20 mins on cross trainer, 20 mins on bike, 3x12 reps of chest pull, abdominal cruncher, lat pulldown, seated row and leg press).

My job can be quite demanding as I work for a supermarket - I mainly put deliveries out so I'm pushing and pulling VERY heavy roll cages, as well as lifting heavy cases of up to 10kg per case. I'm also constantly on my feet.

I do not eat 'properly'. I know this. I like chocolate (though I've cut down MASSIVELY). I used to drink up to 4 cans of red bull per day - I now drink 0.

As me and my OH both work full time, sometimes up to 9pm it's difficult to cook decent meals. Can anyone recommend how many times I should go to the gym per week to be effective enough, or any decent foods I can eat, to take to work (is Pasta a good idea? Rice based foods?)

I just need some help. I ideally want to lose approximately 45/50lbs, and then continue going to the gym to *tone up* and keep in good shape.

ANY advice / help (no matter how harsh) will be super appreciated.
    Drink lots and lots of water - helps get rid of water retention (I know, sounds silly and like it'd do the opposite)
    Cut down on processed carbs like white bread, white pasta. (I have totally given up wheat because it just doesn't agree with me and I've lost 5 pounds in just over a week, I do eat really healthily though) I haven't counted calories. I started off 146 pounds and am now 141 I am 5ft1.

The kinds of things I eat on a daily basis are:
    Breakfast: Porridge with frozen raspberries in (cheaper and they defrost when you're cooking the porridge, really tasty) and may be a banana depending how hungry I am
    Any snacks: apple/banana depending on if I had one for breakfast or not, or carrot sticks and a teaspoon of soft cream cheese (like philadelphia)

Lunch: make a salad from lettuce, cucumber, grated carrot, beetroot, spring onion, heat up sweetcorn and some type of bean like borlotti beans and mix them together with a tablespoon of soy sauce. Then I but the warm sweetcorn and beans on top of the salad. Sounds disgusting but it's tasty (at least I like it) and I am always stuffed afterwards. The warmth of the sweetcorn/beans I find makes it less like a salad. Not keen on cold food!

Dinner: Stir fry - 1 chicken breast, mange tout, baby corn, pepper, green beans and Aldi do these great chinese sauces in a pouch that are 49p and low in calories about 60 in a packet. Which is enough for 2 people at least (I cook for my mum and I and we usually have left overs.)

I don't drink much apart from water - surprising how many calories you drink! I might have fruit juice every couple of days but only about 200ml or something. not a massive glass full.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by progmaticOx)
    You're not the first to say that, but it's the straw that broke the donkeys back. It's not that simple, you can go much further into it; specific diets, specific exercise regimes etc... Everything can be boiled down to a one line "it's as simple as that" sentence, it never is. It's just an unhelpful, useless and unintelligent thing to say.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It does work - yes specific diets and exercise regimes can help you lose weight but it does all boil down to reducing your calorie intake and increasing the amount of exercise you do. It requires a lot of willpower - I'll give you that, I know just aswell as anyone else - when I got better after my illness aged 17 - I weighed something in the region of 17 stone... fast forward a couple of years I'm under 12 stone - I wont say it was easy - but I didnt follow any specific diet or exercise regime - I ate less and exercised more.

If OP made sure she ate well and ate her 1800 calories such as Gummibaerchen suggested and exercised 3 times a week of good intensity - shed lose weight!

Op - find something you enjoy for your exercise - I initially found cycling, then at uni I found lifting weights, utimate and running! All of which provide me with good intensity exercise meaning I burn calories!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    It does work - yes specific diets and exercise regimes can help you lose weight but it does all boil down to reducing your calorie intake and increasing the amount of exercise you do. It requires a lot of willpower - I'll give you that, I know just aswell as anyone else - when I got better after my illness aged 17 - I weighed something in the region of 17 stone... fast forward a couple of years I'm under 12 stone - I wont say it was easy - but I didnt follow any specific diet or exercise regime - I ate less and exercised more.

If OP made sure she ate well and ate her 1800 calories such as Gummibaerchen suggested and exercised 3 times a week of good intensity - shed lose weight!

Op - find something you enjoy for your exercise - I initially found cycling, then at uni I found lifting weights, utimate and running! All of which provide me with good intensity exercise meaning I burn calories!
    Yes but I meant saying just eat less and exercise more is of no help to anyone, everyone knows that, if one was to ask this question then obviously they want more information than that. And I know too, I used to weigh 15 stone, 10 months later I was 11 stone.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.