Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should the death penalty be bought back in the UK? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wiska)
    Watched it! It was really good!

I am not proposing seeing into the future so we can prevent a crime, I am talking about being able to look back into the past with no control over what happened.

Murderers, rapists and Prisoners have it too easy, they did not give two craps about others' human rights, why should we respect theirs? Testing medicines on humans will only help advance the medicine available to us. I don't want this treatment for all prisoners as some can change, such as thieves.

Knowing all these crazy tests 'may' be done to them instead of having an easy life in prison watching tv and eating good food will deter all kinds of criminals. Imagine if the Sandy Hook killer was alive, would you be happy knowing he's going to bed happy every night enjoying a carefree life whilst those families are absolutely destroyed?

It just isn't right :/
    I'm sure there's a similar workaround to that as well

It's not as simple as that though. Say you have person A who kills person B because that person slaughtered person A's entire family, would you propose testing potentially lethal, devastating unknown chemicals on them? You'd be surprised who can become person A given the right circumstances and opportunity. Also, say you have a man who has been wrongly convicted of rape because of a scorned girl he met at a club, test drugs on him too? There have been people executed in the US who, upon review of their case or due to new evidence coming to light, were likely innocent. Even if this is just the case for 1 in 1000 people who are executed, I'd rather not kill 1 innocent person just to get pointless revenge on 999 others.

Also...
    #screwyou140characterlimit

ReputationRep:
    In America states with the death penalty have some of the highest murder rates in the USA.

ReputationRep:
    Bring back mandatory stoning for working on the sabbath!

ReputationRep:
    No. As much as I personally think I would not be satisfied with a prison sentence (if I was severely wronged), I have to admit that sometimes prisons serve a greater purpose. They serve to rehabilitate and in some cases act as a detergent for others through horror stories of prison.

Plus as much as I say I would like it as an option if wronged i wouldn't be comfortable watching someone die at my hands or doing the dirty work myself. My moral compass wouldn't want me to stoop to their level.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.