Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should i quit uni make a baby and life on benefits? Watch

ReputationRep:
    You don't get loads of money. My dad had a job till he got made redundant then my mum and dad divorced. I lived with my mum and sister who are both disabled, my mum couldn't work so we lived off benefits and even benefits didn't go that far. My mum got DLA for her and my sister, income support, tax credits, child tax/benefit and we still struggled to eat for the week and pay the rent. My mum doesn't drive so we didn't get a car and even if she could we wouldn't be able to afford it. We'd never been on holiday and we hardly ever went out. I got £10 for my birthday and £50 for christmas. When I got to secondary school the government gave my mum help with buying my school uniform for the first year and she had to pay after that. In year 10 my school uniform had to last me for 2 years. I didn't have things other kids have, I didn't have branded clothing or an ipad or top phone but I was still alive.

I now live with my dad and he works part time and we live off £6,000 a year which is all he earns. I get help and bursaries from college and there's times we struggle to afford food after rent and bills have been paid even though we live in a council flat. We moved in and hand nothing so the council gave us £100 paint vouchers for B&Q to spend on paint & wallpaper and a £350 voucher to buy essential furniture from a second hand electricals/furniture store. We got a cooker, washing machine, 2 wardrobes and a sofa. You really do only get to live on bare minimum. Now are you seriously telling me living off benefits is the best thing for you and a baby?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kabloomybuzz)
    Exactly. My partner is currently on benefits and if they want a treat or something beyond the basics, it means not putting the heating on or not eating as well as they could. Its not an easy ride. Because housing benefit doesn't cover rent they are also in arrears and on housing lists. Luckily, the landlord is decent and understanding... but it's a tough way to live.
    Exactly how it is in reality, even though im not on benefits i know people that are and its the same for all of them not one of them lives a life of luxury whenever we are out they may come along for a drink and thats it. I also am aware that they pay you slightly less then the required rent so people have to pay out of there already stretched budget

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    After the second child, you only get £13.40 per week per extra child. (so, someone with 3 children will get 1 lot of £20.30 per week and 2 lots of £13.40 per week)

There are also changes to council tax benefit, meaning that some people on benefits will have to pay council tax.
    My figures aren't completely accurate but they do reflect claimant b) mother with 5 children is significantly better off than claimant a) single adult.

It's not my intention to gun for those with children - only those that think they can use their kids as means to and end.

I greet the proposed changes to council tax benefit with open arms; as it is likely to persuade people on state benefits that they can't live in the nice part of town due to benefits and family size and should serve as an incentive to get such people back into work.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by FREELANCEDONUT)

I greet the proposed changes to council tax benefit with open arms; as it is likely to persuade people on state benefits that they can't live in the nice part of town due to benefits and family size and should serve as an incentive to get such people back into work.
    In real terms, we've had a benefit cut already. I don't agree with the council tax change at all - out of £71 a week, some will have to pay some council tax and housing benefit shortfall. leaving very little to live on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ziggy2252)
    Hi there after reading around the forum it seems like everyone is very jealous of people on benefits as they have alot of things people here dont have, there own flat own car and the freedom to do what they want when they want.

As this lifestyle is so great and everyone envys them so much im thinking of following the same route. I mean it must be so amazing if it makes everyone so angry? They get loads of money dont they??
    No.
    Have some self respect, you have a choice in life. Many don't and live off benefits because they have to!

ReputationRep:
    I agree that when you are a single claimant who receives £71 per week - an extra couple of quid per week can be considered to be a lot. Realistically they shouldn't be targeting this tax cut at such people - having said that, the perception that people have (as suggested by the OP) is that state benefits and mass breeding will give them 'loads of money', 'a car' and a 'nice house' - so whilst the new taxes may not be fair for current claimants - they will certainly act as a deterrent when people know that intentionally creating large families for more benefits won't work. Whilst it doesn't seem fair, and I agree that it may not be, it's certainly taking the country one step in the right direction even if we have to take two steps back before we see a reduction in teenage pregnancies and housing/council/child benefit claims.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SheldonBlooper)
    No.
    Have some self respect, you have a choice in life. Many don't and live off benefits because they have to!
    you totally missed the point of this thread.

ReputationRep:
    Yes but what these people who pop out kids for the money don't realise is that when they are old all they will qualify for is state pension. They will lose their child benefit and massive houses as their children are grown. It is no way to live your life at the expense of others and life will be far from comfortable when you are older.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarah_22_16)
    Yes but what these people who pop out kids for the money don't realise is that when they are old all they will qualify for is state pension. They will lose their child benefit and massive houses as their children are grown. It is no way to live your life at the expense of others and life will be far from comfortable when you are older.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah we all know that but some people dont simply put, just imagine what there lifes are going to be like? i know a couple like this and i dont pity them i feel sorry for them as they just dont realise.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah we all know that but some people dont simply put, just imagine what there lifes are going to be like? i know a couple like this and i dont pity them i feel sorry for them as they just dont realise.
    You don't pity them you feel sorry for them? Wtf..

Why feel sorry for them, if they cannot be asked to work and scrounge of the state for life and carry on having kids to get more money and increasingly bigger houses then why should I? I work hard to have my house and money. If I ever have kids I will work hard for them too. All I worry about is the further burden these layabouts will be on the state when they are older.

Obviously there are many that do need the help and those are the ones that I feel sorry for as they are often unfortunately tarred with the same brush.

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad your just pretending OP.

I'm on the dole and I don't want to be on it, I only am on it to pay my parents money for to look after me. I look for a job every day and I will find one soon.

ReputationRep:
    No, because benefits for you and one child aren't the tens of thousands you read about in the Daily Mail - those stories are extreme examples of families with 10 dependents, which there are only a handful of in the country.

You would be living on a very low household income if you quit university now and had a kid for benefits purposes.

ReputationRep:
    Still, why are people replying to the OP? (including me)

He or she isn't actually going to do this, they've seen this is the kind of thing that pisses most people off and wants to exploit that to wind people up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dream Team.)
    Still, why are people replying to the OP? (including me)

He or she isn't actually going to do this, they've seen this is the kind of thing that pisses most people off and wants to exploit that to wind people up.
    nooooooo im doing this to get rid of the illusion benefits is a life of luxury.

ReputationRep:
    You don't pity them you feel sorry for them? Wtf..

Why feel sorry for them, if they cannot be asked to work and scrounge of the state for life and carry on having kids to get more money and increasingly bigger houses then why should I? I work hard to have my house and money. If I ever have kids I will work hard for them too. All I worry about is the further burden these layabouts will be on the state when they are older.

Obviously there are many that do need the help and those are the ones that I feel sorry for as they are often unfortunately tarred with the same brush.
    Because some people simply dont think far ahead,they think of the now. I feel sorry for them as they simply have not been educated on the future implications, i know this as it is always the same kind off people doing it, where one would seen them as scroungers i see them in a totally different way as the work i do and wil be doing when i finish uni directly involves them i have first hand knowledge of how these kind of familys start.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CelticSymphony67)
    Income Support is usually only available if both parents work under 16 hours per week, nless there is disability involved. I just believe that people should always be better off in work, and if you're parents were working, even if PT, then good luck to them, and they should get WTC and CTC to boost their income. What I disprove of, is parents who stay at home for years, and not work, but live off JSA, Tax Credits, Housing Benefits and Council Tax Benefits. The government should make work pay, unless one is off disabled, then in that case, they should receive full support off the state.
    Oh yes it's working tax credits not income support. My mistake. :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    I love babies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iJess)
    You really do only get to live on bare minimum. Now are you seriously telling me living off benefits is the best thing for you and a baby?
    the thread is satire intended , it's taking the mick out of people who say living on benefits is better

ReputationRep:
    Because some people simply dont think far ahead,they think of the now. I feel sorry for them as they simply have not been educated on the future implications, i know this as it is always the same kind off people doing it, where one would seen them as scroungers i see them in a totally different way as the work i do and wil be doing when i finish uni directly involves them i have first hand knowledge of how these kind of familys start.
    Well that maybe. But some people are just plain lazy and think the world owes them something. There are many like it in my family but me, my mum and brother are the opposite.

ReputationRep:
    Well that maybe. But some people are just plain lazy and think the world owes them something. There are many like it in my family but me, my mum and brother are the opposite.
    Yawn yawn yawn im great because i work there not because they dont yawn.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.