Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why do "young" people get so pissed off when they get ID'd? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    If you've bought from the same place before on several occasions and never been ID'd or you have already provided your ID then I can definitely understand how that can happen.

I had to show my ID once in a shop, fair enough it's the law etc. Then about a week later I went back, same person on the till, "got any ID?" :confused: I explained he'd served me last week and he said he knows but he still has to ask for ID. I was absolutely raging. I'm sure some people do this just for ****s and giggles.
    It's actually necessary to ID each person each time, just to save the store's skin. Even though I work nights (only over 18s can work them) I still have to bring ID. And even though the people that work in my store know I'm 19, they still have to ID. If a mystery shopper was in the queue and saw someone not being ID'd, they would be fined and possibly lose their license to sell age restricted goods. Test purchases happen a lot! Police will get people to go in just to check that stores ID.

Regardless of how many times you've showed your ID, you still have to do it. Simple solution; if people are going out to buy cigarettes/alcohol, bring ID.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 20 and when I hit Adult age I admit it did start to frustrate me when I went into a shop and would be refused sale when I forgot my ID, not sure why I suppose for many years under the age of 18 we have always been refused things so we though the second we hit 18, every should know we are 18 and we have the right to be served in some weird way, but I'm not sure it is frustrating for me personally when I feel I look over 21 so when I on the rare occasion go into a local and am not given sale, I do become annoyed, BUT I never take my anger out on the sales person, not point it's just rude manners.

ReputationRep:
    I've been 18 for a while now and have never been ID'd!
    I was expecting this to happen when I was about 40, but already!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by po10tial)
    She even had the cheek to get someone else to buy it for her right in front of me.

She says she is going to report me, I know that won't go far. Boss won't do nothing, I've worked with him for years now in different stores. I'm a valuable asset to him.

I obviously never told her that. I know a lot of businesses and players in the area and all I have to do is just tell them about her and the next thing you know she will be barred everywhere.

She simply ****ed with the wrong guy in this case.
    So you refuse to serve them it as well as you believe that they are buying it for the girl.

To be honest, it doesn't matter what your personal relationship to the manager was in this situation. The professional relationship would dictate that the manager backed you up. After all they too would get a fine for serving alcohol to a minor if she was proved to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou_100)
    Believe me, I know how painful it is to try and be polite to customer who is treating you like a tramp and who you secretly want to spit on or something (I know it sounds bad, but it's the truth and everyone thinks it ha).
    Try being a mental health nurse

ReputationRep:
    I work in a bar - the best forms of "I.D" people think will be acceptable I've come across in my job include guys taking their tops off and showing me their tattoos "look I'm obviously old enough...blah blah blah." Idiots.

ReputationRep:
    If you've bought from the same place before on several occasions and never been ID'd or you have already provided your ID then I can definitely understand how that can happen.

I had to show my ID once in a shop, fair enough it's the law etc. Then about a week later I went back, same person on the till, "got any ID?" :confused: I explained he'd served me last week and he said he knows but he still has to ask for ID. I was absolutely raging. I'm sure some people do this just for ****s and giggles.
    If it's a big shop though, you won't remember everyone that you had served the week before. You'll serve dozens of costumers and besides it's always better to check if the person looks under 25.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by British-Student)
    What a berk. I quite like being ID'd, I've only been 18 for about 2 months so it's nice being able to say "Why yes, yes I am of age!"

I still get a fear of it being rejected, and them saying "This isn't your ID, clear off" though
    Get a pink driving liscence you will feel even prouder lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leighcakes)
    It's actually necessary to ID each person each time, just to save the store's skin. Even though I work nights (only over 18s can work them) I still have to bring ID. And even though the people that work in my store know I'm 19, they still have to ID. If a mystery shopper was in the queue and saw someone not being ID'd, they would be fined and possibly lose their license to sell age restricted goods. Test purchases happen a lot! Police will get people to go in just to check that stores ID.

Regardless of how many times you've showed your ID, you still have to do it. Simple solution; if people are going out to buy cigarettes/alcohol, bring ID.
    So what if it's a 60 year old with a walking stick, do they have to bring ID? If not, why not?

Sometimes I think people seriously just take the piss. I understand why the procedure is in place and everything but why can't people just use their common sense? If you actually know the person and they've shown ID before then I don't get why you'd ask them for it again unless you're trying to piss them off.

Also, I've shown ID before (passport) and the passport expired a few months before so I can't travel with it. "We know you're 18 but the passport has to be valid" :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I might find it annoying if it actually happened frequently or for whatever reason I didn't my licence/ a form of ID.

ReputationRep:
    I never get ID'd and rarely ever did....I look old for my age...general body abuse.
    • PS Helper
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I always have my id ready just incase. Sometimes they don't ask. Since I've been going out to clubs I only never been Ided twice, it was so strange putting my id back in my purse .

I used to work in game and it was the worst. As we would have wee boys come in about 12/13 trying to buy 18 games. And be like, my mum said I can buy it. Good for her but you still can't have it. Same with trading in games for cash you have to be over 18 and have id with address and a picture. And the amount of abuse you get for following legislation. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    The only thing that annoys me with ID is when people take the piss. Normally bouncers and it's happened quite a few times. I hand over my driving license and they'll look at me and it 3 or 4 times, then ask me if it's my brothers, or if I'm sure I'm 18 etc. I get that it's your job but in the queue people have been calling me by the name on the card, I look exactly like the picture on the card, I'm with a bunch of people who are 19 and 20 too, I'm in a student town, on a student night and so on.

There's legitimate suspicion and the point where come on, stop taking the piss.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steevee)
    The only thing that annoys me with ID is when people take the piss. Normally bouncers and it's happened quite a few times. I hand over my driving license and they'll look at me and it 3 or 4 times, then ask me if it's my brothers, or if I'm sure I'm 18 etc. I get that it's your job but in the queue people have been calling me by the name on the card, I look exactly like the picture on the card, I'm with a bunch of people who are 19 and 20 too, I'm in a student town, on a student night and so on.

There's legitimate suspicion and the point where come on, stop taking the piss.
    Indeed.
    Hell I was once told my driving license was fake because it is has Welsh on it (the ones issued in Wales have Welsh and English on them). I was also once told that it was fake because it was a new design (they had just changed the design, fair enough - but if your job relies on you IDing people then you really should know about things like that). Asking you what the postcode is etc etc is also totally stupid and pointless.

(Original post by MrHappy_J)
    I went into a pub once just for a meal and got ID'd straight away. I was like "whoa, I haven't even ordered a drink yet, I was just going to have bangers and mash and a cuppa" :lolwut:
    Thats also very annoying, as you don't even have to be 18 to have a drink if you are having a meal. I really don't see any reason why under 18's shouldn't be allowed in pubs if you are having food.

ReputationRep:
    She should grow up. I'm 23 and got IDed for buying a pack of non-alcoholic chocolates the other day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    Indeed.
    Hell I was once told my driving license was fake because it is has Welsh on it (the ones issued in Wales have Welsh and English on them). I was also once told that it was fake because it was a new design (they had just changed the design, fair enough - but if your job relies on you IDing people then you really should know about things like that). Asking you what the postcode is etc etc is also totally stupid and pointless.

Thats also very annoying, as you don't even have to be 18 to have a drink if you are having a meal. I really don't see any reason why under 18's shouldn't be allowed in pubs if you are having food.
    now that I did not know.
    im 21 but I look about 14 lol.

ReputationRep:
    So what if it's a 60 year old with a walking stick, do they have to bring ID? If not, why not?

Sometimes I think people seriously just take the piss. I understand why the procedure is in place and everything but why can't people just use their common sense? If you actually know the person and they've shown ID before then I don't get why you'd ask them for it again unless you're trying to piss them off.

Also, I've shown ID before (passport) and the passport expired a few months before so I can't travel with it. "We know you're 18 but the passport has to be valid" :rolleyes:
    Look up the 'think 25' scheme.

And simply put, it's the law. The best way to ensure that both the cashier and the customer have a pleasant experience is just to bring ID. I don't see the issue; most people have a provisional license they can carry in their wallet/purse, and if not, just bring your passport. Else you can just not buy restricted goods.

The reason you have to show it again is because of test purchases, as I mentioned before. They'll send people in to see if stores are IDing and, if someone who looks fairly young isn't ID'd, it goes on record. It's not to piss customers off, I promise! It's to protect everyone.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes it can be annoying being ID'd because of the embarrassment and the shock especially if a lot of people are around.

A few months ago back when I was 19 (I'm 20 now) I got asked for I'D when buying a blooming energy drink. It's called black something, it's like a beer can. Anyway I was so shocked at this I didn't even protest, so I was there fumbling through my wallet trying to find my driving license, not a pleasant experience. Eventually I showed her my I'D and she was even kind enough to apologize.

Now before any smartass replies and says "she was just doing her job" "or its against the law" remember I was ID's for an energy drink, not alcohol, not a knife, cigarettes but a ****ing energy drink. So obviously the asking for the ID caught me off guard.

On the other hand, getting ID'd can be a good thing because:

- it shows you that you look young for your age which is a good thing. You may hate looking younger now that you're a teenager but when you're 30 yrs old+ you'll cherish it.

- and most of all proving them wrong is so blooming satisfying. Especially when the cashier looks at you disbelievingly doubting that you're of legal age, it's a big massive "**** you" when I pull out my pink driving license and prove I'm of legal age. Sometimes I feel like saying, "how do you feel now, *****?" :lol:

(Original post by hothedgehog)
    She should grow up. I'm 23 and got IDed for buying a pack of non-alcoholic chocolates the other day.
    Either that's a typo or this is a serious wtf moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ironandwine)
    I work in a bar - the best forms of "I.D" people think will be acceptable I've come across in my job include guys taking their tops off and showing me their tattoos "look I'm obviously old enough...blah blah blah." Idiots.
    I got someone try to use a PADI license once, it's amazing what people think they can get away with. Although I did once get served in a spoons using the combination of my EHIC and student cards.

ReputationRep:
    I've never been asked for ID in my life, which is quite surprising considering I look about 15 (I'm a few months shy of 20).

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 30, 2017
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.