Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is Male dominance still present in society? Patriarchy watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goodbye)
    Have you watched the film bend it like beckham? That's a strong example, they don't let her play football because she's a girl.
    Watch Billy Eliot, it's the exact same thing but the roles are reversed,

ReputationRep:
    Have you watched the film bend it like beckham? That's a strong example, they don't let her play football because she's a girl.
    Women's football is on the rise, and you referenced a film. Hardly convincing in an argument. I'm not saying male dominance doesn't exist, it's just you'll need more convincing (real world) examples.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chaoshi)
    Your friend gets married, whose last name do you think everyone assumes they'll have? Who might cause some stir by keeping their last name? When people assume they're Mr and Mrs ____, how often do they guess the man's original name, and how often the woman's?
    Your friend tells you that one parent will stay at home with the children, who do you immediately assume it will be?
    Your friend isn't staying home with the children, and is going to work. Your friend is getting seriously judged for this. What gender is your friend?

It's more ingrained than you think.
    I disagree with these points, names are all over the place now, some keep their own be it permanently or just for work due to their accomplishments and I know men who have taken their wife's name.

I never assume the mother stays at home, I was raised by my father who was self employed and my nanny, I was never brought up with the assumption that's a female role and I know plenty of couples that do the same thing. I've never known anyone, male or female, be judged for not staying at home with the children at all providing the child isn't just being abandoned!

Considering women had very few rights 100 years ago I don't think we're doing too badly. Where I work, the board is made up of 15 people, currently 7 men and 7 women (there's 1 position that is still to be announced); I'd say that's pretty fair and shows that being male isn't an advantage as it once was. Oh and before anyone suggests it, the women are NOT there to make up numbers, their backgrounds are not a secret and they were simply more accomplished than the other candidates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james22)
    Women in government is different though as they are elected. If people wanted more owmen in power then they would vote for them. Also far more men are going to be interested in politics than women (though not sure if this trait is due to natural brain differences or social pressures).
    The problem is that voters have had very limited oppurtunity to put women in power; every leader of every large political party has been a man for as long as I've been alive, but there are plenty of female politicians...

I suppose my point is that, due to a currently male dominated society, few women have been able to rise to the highest political power. (I'm aware that this is a very small example and only applies to the UK in recent years, but it's still worth thinking about!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ynang)
    The problem is that voters have had very limited oppurtunity to put women in power; every leader of every large political party has been a man for as long as I've been alive, but there are plenty of female politicians...

I suppose my point is that, due to a currently male dominated society, few women have been able to rise to the highest political power. (I'm aware that this is a very small example and only applies to the UK in recent years, but it's still worth thinking about!)
    Maybe this is because they can't. Many women lack interest in politics and lack the necessary drive. This is evolutionary fact, our brains no matter how much people wish to deny it are hard wired in to certain things. Men are more controlling more dominant and so wish to influence others, which entails them going in to politics. This is also why it is the women that have masculine characteristics that come to power i.e.. The "IRON" Lady.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Converse Rocker)
    Women's football is on the rise, and you referenced a film. Hardly convincing in an argument. I'm not saying male dominance doesn't exist, it's just you'll need more convincing (real world) examples.
    But you can kind of get the point if you know what I mean like it does happen in reality.

ReputationRep:
    Watch Billy Eliot, it's the exact same thing but the roles are reversed,
    Interesting

ReputationRep:
    But you can kind of get the point if you know what I mean like it does happen in reality.
    Wow. :facepalm2:

Your logical fallacy is...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ynang)

It's up to the female politicians concerned to prove there are the right person to lead. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dark Horse)
    It's up to the female politicians concerned to prove there are the right person to lead. :rolleyes:
    True, but it's up to the rest of society to give female politicians the chance to prove that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MostUncivilised)
    It's all a question of definition. In Western countries are there any legal bars on full equality for women? No.

No there isn't, but do tell me is the fact that women almost always win custody battles sexist? What about male circumcision still being legal what about forced envelopment still not counting as rape? Is that sexist? Yes? No?

But men continue to overwhelmingly dominate politics, law, the military, the university system, etc.
    But women overwhelmingly win custody cases.... And women are the majority in university not the minority. Anyway women dominate subjects like teaching, nursing psychology, English, sociology.....

I actually don't think we're doing too badly, considering it's only within the last 100 years that women have obtained their right to vote, and comparing that to all the rest of human history where men have completely dominated (with some exceptions).

Humanity is changing slowly, but it's changing.
    Men got the right to vote in 1918/1919 possibly worth mentioning? Surely? There's not really a patriarchy in 21st century England.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ynang)
    True, but it's up to the rest of society to give female politicians the chance to prove that...
    Hardly. Society votes for whoever think will act for their own best interests.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dark Horse)
    Hardly. Society votes for whoever think will act for their own best interests.
    True. However, historically, women have not been able to enter politics. We therefore have an institution (whether perceived or real) of male dominance in politics. Society votes for whoever they think will act in their best interests, provided that that person has had the chance to stand for election.

Historically, and even today, women have not had that chance...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ynang)
    True. However, historically, women have not been able to enter politics. We therefore have an institution (whether perceived or real) of male dominance in politics. Society votes for whoever they think will act in their best interests, provided that that person has had the chance to stand for election.

They do, there are female MPs you know. We even have female ministers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ynang)

:rolleyes: Margaret Thatcher was an optical illusion, she was a man in drag.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ynang)

Even having the chance to be elected has to be achieved. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Syrokal)
    Yes and it's funded, attended and respected just as much as --

Oh wait.
    Ey I know male ballerinas who get bullied and boys who won't do it, its just people getting flac for not doing something deemed right for their gender. Nothing female specific

ReputationRep:
    They do, there are female MPs you know. We even have female ministers.
    The majority of voters are also women.
    #swag#swaggles#swog#swaaag#swagg gy#swogalot##

ReputationRep:
    Women that want to feel opressed will fell opressed, as with the facile examples above. But equally as many can be thrown back to show female priviledge.

Female only scholarships and Bursaries, the massive bias they recieve in family court matters, divorce court, even criminal court etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bottled)
    Ey I know male ballerinas who get bullied and boys who won't do it, its just people getting flac for not doing something deemed right for their gender. Nothing female specific
    Whut?

I never said it was.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.