Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nandos94)
    I did a different exam board but I got an A* in History last year. I was Edexcel.
    The way I revised history was I read through the book, or just used summary sheets provided to me by my teacher. I hated writing notes. Rather than writing essays (which would take so much time) I just looked at past exam questions and prepared essay plans.
    This way I knew what vague themes I could use depending on what question came up (obviously if allowed by the sources given). I'd really pay attention to essay structure, as that can make or break your essay, regardless of whether you all the facts.
    So to summarise; I read/highlighted summary sheets/the book. I made essay plans on questions that have come up, and possible questions we had to do for homework. I made sure I knew the essay structure for each question, and how to answer the question.
    Any more questions, just ask/pm me.
    Hi! I'm doing AS History this year with Edexcel as well and I'm really struggling with writing notes (I hate it). You mentioned you highlighted the book, I'm just wondering how you condensed all the information? If it was me I would most likely highlight the whole thing :P and my essay structure is horrible if you could give me any advice on that, it would be much appreciated. I usually get about 13/20 in Unit 1. And somewhere between 22/30 for unit two, although my marks are dropping and I'm getting worried :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by farawayfromnowhere)
    Hi! I'm doing AS History this year with Edexcel as well and I'm really struggling with writing notes (I hate it). You mentioned you highlighted the book, I'm just wondering how you condensed all the information? If it was me I would most likely highlight the whole thing :P and my essay structure is horrible if you could give me any advice on that, it would be much appreciated. I usually get about 13/20 in Unit 1. And somewhere between 22/30 for unit two, although my marks are dropping and I'm getting worried :/
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi, the only notes I made in class were the ones that I made from my teacher when he taught. We got packs of texts and I just highlighted them. You just need the key information, usually stuff which you think is key, is just background text which may not always be needed.
    I've posted before about essay structures, so if you look back, you should find them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ikz94)
    Just out of interest what topic did you do for your A2 exam. i'm doing A2 edexcel History and my A2 EXAM IS ON FRANCE 1786-1830 there's 4 topics on : Causes of the French revolution, Reign of Terror,Napoleon and Borboun restoration and Historiography A and B. I'm in process of making my revision notes but in terms of essays i hate writing answers for all the essays so would essay grids do? also did you sue mnemonics and stuff
    Just mention the chosen men led by Sharpe and you'll do fine.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.