Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm being stalked by a man who works in a fish and chip shop Watch

ReputationRep:
    It's disturbing how many people here think accepting a favour from a stranger entitles them to follow her home and harass her, despite her saying she is not interested several times. This is why so many girls are reluctant to talk to men they do not know, any niceness or acknowledgement is seen as "leading them on". Yes, she probably shouldn't of got the taxi with him or given him her number. However, if he wanted something more then he should of made it clear before offering her the taxi, his behaviour was sleazy and sly, it wouldn't surprise me if he made a habit of offering taxis to vulnerable young women so they can "owe" him. He is just as much at fault as OP, if not more so.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so you've probably learned your lesson about flirting to get a free ride and I don't see how people having a dig at you for it will help therefore I won't join in on that!
    You said you've told him you aren't interested but I was just wondering exactly what you said? Because, and I'm guilty of this myself at times, sometimes we think we've been clear about something but actually our attempts to be polite about it end up sort of obscuring the message? For example, telling him that you can't meet up because you aren't there or that you 'aren't looking for a relationship right not' (not saying you said this, just an example of a phrase people use a lot in these situations!) often gets misconstrued as 'I don't want to see a movie with you tomorrow but maybe I will in a few weeks'.
    You may need to be a little bit cruel to be kind. You don't have to be rude but something along the lines of 'I'm really sorry but I don't want to meet up again. It was nice to talk to you that night but I'm really not interested in seeing each other again.' might help?
    If you've already gone that far and he doesn't get it then I'd go for completely ignoring him. Then if he does just show up anyway at some point that would be the point at which you could warn him you'll report him if he does it again. Until that sort of behaviour is seen then he hasn't really done anything wrong - he's just a bit over keen and possibly a bit desperate which is sad but not stalking and not a reason to be afraid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BoringPezza)
    So, in the last week of the semester, I went out for my flatmate's birthday. I wasn't really up for it, but I went out of... camaraderie's sake. An hour or so in and the vodka wasn't doing anything and I was feeling pretty terrible. My 'early leaving taxi sharers' were long gone and I was stuck with little cash because of my one night alcoholism or something.

Needless to say, I jumped at the chance to get a free taxi journey- paid for by a relatively charming Cypriot man. Don't judge me, but I take advantage of such situations with the idea to fob him off when we got back to the student village.

But he kind of followed me home and I kind of gave him my number after feeling guilty/him not leaving. He's really rather keen and has since offered to come round on numerous occasions. With it being Easter and all, I've managed to get away with saying I'm not there but I go back this weekend and I'm rather worried he's going to turn up. Or, invite me to fish and chip shop so he can make me a 'veggie deluxe with cheese and mango chutney'. I've hit a real low here and I don't know whether to worry more about the fact this man knows where I lives or that I chose to come home with someone that offers to deep fry me some vegetables and expects to get something out of it. How do I get rid of him?
    **why would you give him your number?**

ReputationRep:
    Why do girls always think they are being stalked?

ReputationRep:
    Wait until he follows you to the chip shop then just batter him!

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for brightening my night up, that made me laugh

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 4, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.