Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A Look at Feminism - From a Different Perspective Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ham22)
    I doubt that was written by a woman.
    Oh, you'd be surprised at how often I've heard such tripe coming from a woman. The women I hear it from, however, still believe a woman's place is in the kitchen etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evangelica)
    Oh, you'd be surprised at how often I've heard such tripe coming from a woman. The women I hear it from, however, still believe a woman's place is in the kitchen etc.
    Maybe they're happy staying at home and raising a family? No need to disrespect people just because they don't have the same desires and beliefs as you.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Dark Horse)
    Hey, men can support "feminism". Should hardly be surprising that some women oppose "feminism".

We must have different opinions on what evidence actually is? All you've really done is stated your opinion as if it were a fact, whilst simultaneously assuring us that you love men and are not a Feminazi, lmao.
    I love how feminism is in quotations. Like it's a myth.

Anyone who has seen me on a feminism or anti feminism thread knows I'm not a femiNazi. It's a simple truth.

I have given evidence. You have given nothing to the contrary. My evidence is all the laws and restrictions placed on women, thus helping men more than women. Where is your counter evidence?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons)
    No, if something is untrue it's untrue. The patriarchy did not help women as much as it helped men. That's evident in the laws in plac to restrict women but enable men. The evidence backs up my claim, not hers.
    Enable men to do what?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Maybe they're happy staying at home and raising a family? No need to disrespect people just because they don't have the same desires and beliefs as you.
    No. If a woman wishes to stay at home and have traditional gender roles, fine. But if she thinks that's how all women should be (which is what the person you responded to was talking about), then they're being sexist.

Each to their own. Even if you don't like what another person's "own" is.

ReputationRep:
    I love how feminism is in quotations. Like it's a myth.

Anyone who has seen me on a feminism or anti feminism thread knows I'm not a femiNazi. It's a simple truth.

I have given evidence. You have given nothing to the contrary. My evidence is all the laws and restrictions placed on women, thus helping men more than women. Where is your counter evidence?
    You haven't given any sources, just your assurances that such laws existed.

I want actual evidence if I'm going to concede the point.

A reminder: your assurances =/= actual evidence.

ReputationRep:
    No. If a woman wishes to stay at home and have traditional gender roles, fine. But if she thinks that's how all women should be (which is what the person you responded to was talking about), then they're being sexist.

Each to their own. Even if you don't like what another person's "own" is.
    Where did she say this, please?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Enable men to do what?
    I've said this about three times. Vote, own businesses, rape their wives, hit their wives. That was all acceptable under the law. And just because not all men did does not mean that the patriarchy did not help men more because if even one man was allowed to vote in comparison to no women, then the patriarchy has helped him.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Where did she say this, please?
    I'll be showing you exactly where tomorrow, along with sources for the laws ( you're not naive or stupid enough to actually need sources proving marital rape was allowed until R v R 1994, are you?). I'm on my phone now and copying and pasting links is exceptionally difficult.

ReputationRep:
    I've said this about three times. Vote, own businesses, rape their wives, hit their wives. That was all acceptable under the law. And just because not all men did does not mean that the patriarchy did not help men more because if even one man was allowed to vote in comparison to no women, then the patriarchy has helped him.
    By the same token, divorce laws that entitle just one woman to walk away with half a man's estate and net worth is an example of the patriarchy doing more for women than men.

Walking away with something under a technicality of the law is ALOT easier than actually earning it in the first place.

Women can now also do those things that they previously could not.

ReputationRep:
    It is so blindingly obviously written by a man, I'm not saying this cause it's sexist but because of how it is written. I know there are women out there who are sexist against women but it's written from a man's perspective.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be showing you exactly where tomorrow, along with sources for the laws ( you're not naive or stupid enough to actually need sources proving marital rape was allowed until R v R 1994, are you?). I'm on my phone now and copying and pasting links is exceptionally difficult.
    I want to make sure we're singing from the same hymn sheet on this one.

I'd like to say, at this point, that you are one of many feminists that I have debated with in the last couple of days. And the only debates you ever have, you rely heavily on quoting the social troubles of bygone days or third world nations to justify your position.

The third world nations thing I can sort of understand, your sisters be out there getting sold as cattle etc. But on the point of bygone days...it would seem you wouldn't want to revel in your success and look ahead, but to continuously winge over how you were so hard done to once upon a time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ENNGUF)
    It is so blindingly obviously written by a man, I'm not saying this cause it's sexist but because of how it is written. I know there are women out there who are sexist against women but it's written from a man's perspective.
    She did say she was looking at it from her son's perspective.

Your comment is a little sexist btw, lmfao!.

I was just about to say (and was surprised no one has until now); this was not written by a woman. It was clearly written by;

"A few years from now, you’ll begin asking yourself, “Where have all the good men gone?” You’ll look down your noses at all those guys playing video games and living like frat boys in cheap apartments, and you’ll know that they could do “so much better” for themselves. You’ll shake your heads in wonder at their “immaturity,” or their “wasted potential.” Here’s a little secret. (Yep. A few men are immature and weak – they’ve had the masculinity abused or medicated out of them by their single mothers and grandmothers) but most of them?

They no longer give a rat’s ass about YOU."

This man. I have no idea why he tried to pose as an Oedipal mother to write this little... speech?... but yes, it's as clear as day both through the anger / let down in the overall message and, as you say, just how it reads. A very male writing style.

As for the message itself... it makes some good points, but only about a specific group of women. They certainly do exist, and it's not a small group, but it's certainly not the majority of women either.

ReputationRep:
    She did say she was looking at it from her son's perspective.

Your comment is a little sexist btw, lmfao!.
    But simply signing a letter with "David Cameron" doesn't mean that it was David Cameron who wrote it. I think you know fine well it was a guy who wrote it. And how is my comment sexist?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhumbauze)

This man. I have no idea why he tried to pose as an Oedipal mother to write this little... speech?... but yes, it's as clear as day both through the anger / let down in the overall message and, as you say, just how it reads. A very male writing style.

As for the message itself... it makes some good points, but only about a specific group of women. They certainly do exist, and it's not a small group, but it's certainly not the majority of women either.
    So women don't get angry?

What exactly do you mean by "male writing style"?

And also, the points don't have to apply to all women to make the observations valid. Are you just having the same visceral reaction to "generalisations" as most TSR-ians? **

**I said "most" TSR-ians. For your benefit, my friend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhumbauze)
    I was just about to say (and was surprised no one has until now); this was not written by a woman. It was clearly written by;

I also can't see why a woman would complain about these types of things either:
    And since you’re not looking for a husband, there’s no need to sleep with only “good” men, is there? ‘Cuz badboyz are hawt! And nice guys are boring.
    He sees slutty women who dress to attract men, sleep with the “hot” ones, and denigrate the rest by calling them “creepy.”
    He sees women who flirt with their hopeful, geeky JustFriends, barely enough to keep them on a string while simultaneously panting after Alpha Hotties, then run crying back to those JustFriends after being pumped and dumped by said Hotties, “Oh, why can’t more men be nice like you?”

ReputationRep:
    But simply signing a letter with "David Cameron" doesn't mean that it was David Cameron who wrote it. I think you know fine well it was a guy who wrote it. And how is my comment sexist?
    Since it can't be proven that it's a man or a woman, it's really neither here nor there.

And saying it's a man based on writing style could be argued as being somewhat discriminatory. Implying that the points within the article now have less credence because they were written by a man is sexist.

So women don't get angry?

What exactly do you mean by "male writing style"?

And also, the points don't have to apply to all women to make the observations valid. Are you just having the same visceral reaction to "generalisations" as most TSR-ians? **

**I said "most" TSR-ians. For your benefit, my friend.
    Women do get angry, but that's not the point, the point is, this wasn't written by one. And by "male writing style" I mean "a writing style that is obviously male" - there are subtle differences in phrasing, pace, word choice, emphasis... if you want a better explanation, you're going to have to embark upon a critical reading course I'm afraid.

To anyone who "knows writing" this is obviously written by a male, there's no particular way to explain why it's obvious. You can just "tell".

Anyway... I specifically said that there are valid points about some women - however - it is implied fairly strongly that the writer is directing this at "all women". If not, the premise - that the son will never marry - doesn't particularly make sense. It would only be true if he happened to have a bad early experience with one of these women. As I suspect the real writer has.

ReputationRep:
    This letter is just the average TSR feminism post. All in all, not an impressive showing.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.