Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .snowflake.)
    There won't be many of you doing biological chem, i think theres fewer of them than there are of us doing study in europe, and there's only 6 of us for that! By the looks of the website, you gradually do more and more biology as the years go by. You could always ask to be registered as biological chem and if you don't like it during the first three weeks (known as the add/drop period) you can change to 'straight' chemistry. It sounds like a massive faff, but it actually isnt.
    So I could be one of very few! I have actually changed now and at the moment feeling happy with that decision, so hopefully I will enjoy it!! Thanks for the heads up, it's good to know that I have the option to switch if I don't like it when I get there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FayeLauraa)
    So I could be one of very few! I have actually changed now and at the moment feeling happy with that decision, so hopefully I will enjoy it!! Thanks for the heads up, it's good to know that I have the option to switch if I don't like it when I get there
    You also get the option after your first lot of exams in jan, as well as the start of second year. My add drop form is going to make the lady in the office who deals with this all want to cry - dropping 7 modules and picking 3 up... Atleast this time I'll make sure that i have all of the right modules codes, because that really does wreck her day!

I'm not quite sure how biological chem changes what core chem. modules you do, but Prof. Fowler's quantum mechanics course is actually really good, and the exam is nowhere NEAR as awful as the lecture course makes it out to be. Also, get friendly with someone who's dyslexic or records the lectures for some other reason, will be an absolute godsend when you look back over your lecture notes for his module and don't understand why you've drawn rabbits...

ReputationRep:
    If I remember correctly (I lived with someone who did biological chemistry ) you do all of the core chemistry modules from each year, and also some molecular biology modules too. First year you do chemistry labs, second biology labs (This might have changed though). When it comes to projects you'll do the biology orientated ones.

(Original post by .snowflake.)
    I'm not quite sure how biological chem changes what core chem. modules you do, but Prof. Fowler's quantum mechanics course is actually really good, and the exam is nowhere NEAR as awful as the lecture course makes it out to be.
    Wait for second year, Schrodinger's equation gets bigger

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shavaunt)
    If I remember correctly (I lived with someone who did biological chemistry ) you do all of the core chemistry modules from each year, and also some molecular biology modules too. First year you do chemistry labs, second biology labs (This might have changed though). When it comes to projects you'll do the biology orientated ones.

Wait for second year, Schrodinger's equation gets bigger
    I know, it's solving it that scares me. I did baby maths, I'm allowed to be scared!
    As long as it's fowler for that module and not Conte, I'll be fine. I'm looking forward to going back, just not the inevitable sarcastic remarks I'll get from my tutor about my thermochemistry result.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much for all the advice - feeling much more confident now that I've made the right decision! Especially now I know there is so much scope to change my mind!
    I am so looking forward to starting now! I really thought I was going to love having nothing to do over summer, but it's been a couple of weeks now and I'm getting restless and bored!! (I appreciate I may well regret having said this!! )

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.