Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

New Daft Punk album! (Random Access Memories) - May 20th Watch

ReputationRep:
    The official video:

Also Daft Punk's Vevo channel uploaded a video of the song without the video, but...

... **** brix when you see it.

That's not an official vid, it's fan-made (the top one). They've taken clips from the advert in Saturday Night Live from two or three weeks ago and combined it with several shots from the collection of videos known on the DP website as 'The Collaborators'.

ReputationRep:
    I love Daft Punk, but I kinda get the feeling this isn't a true representation of their music, because there's so many collaborators and so many influences. It's wildly different from their previous work, and while I respect the fact that venturing into new musical territory is a very brave and difficult thing to do, I just don't think it's completely them.

But don't get me wrong, I totally enjoyed the album, it's a pleasure to listen to. Favourite track ATM has to be Giorgio by Moroder. Hopefully when I receive the hard copy on the 20th it'll grow on me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Champagne Supernova)
    That's not an official vid, it's fan-made (the top one). They've taken clips from the advert in Saturday Night Live from two or three weeks ago and combined it with several shots from the collection of videos known on the DP website as 'The Collaborators'.
    They have edited it, but no, it was on the music channels. It's been syndicated as the video.

ReputationRep:
    How have you guys heard the album? Thought it was supposed to release on 20th and pre-ordered a copy as well from iTunes. Maybe I'm just being daft

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jibberish)
    How have you guys heard the album? Thought it was supposed to release on 20th and pre-ordered a copy as well from iTunes. Maybe I'm just being daft
    ..Punk :awesome: ahaha.

Its available to stream on iTunes right now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by erniiee)
    ..Punk :awesome: ahaha.

Its available to stream on iTunes right now
    Just gave it my first listen. Very different unless you been following the nu-disco genre. Not to everyones taste but ignoring the fact that its daft punk, its brilliant! Loved Contact

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jibberish)
    Just gave it my first listen. Very different unless you been following the nu-disco genre. Not to everyones taste but ignoring the fact that its daft punk, its brilliant! Loved Contact
    Its a really great step outside of the box I think. I like that it still "tastes" of Daft Punk though!

ReputationRep:
    Its a really great step outside of the box I think. I like that it still "tastes" of Daft Punk though!
    I think Motherboard is the most Daft Punk-y track to me, considering the obvious fact that it's pretty much the only track without any collaborations. I think the collaborations are great anyway. Going into this new organic kind of territory after being known for being completely electronic must have been horrifying, but they've still kept that dance loop feel whilst achieving their goal of making pop music soulful and deep and challenging again. As far as collaborators go, it's a really great example of how just sampling these artists would be almost too easy, and how anyone with a laptop could do that. I think Guy and Thomas really took advantage of their position and created something special in comparison to an album like Homework which they created as kids at home, as the title suggests; whether or not one album is better than the other is irrelevant - their power in the world of modern music has been used for a really great cause in my opinion, not just profit-wise, but on a philosophically arty kind of level, they've seized the day and made something amazing.

Well this was just meant to be an expression of how much I like the track Motherboard but hey-ho.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scottajmusgrove)
    I think Motherboard is the most Daft Punk-y track to me, considering the obvious fact that it's pretty much the only track without any collaborations. I think the collaborations are great anyway. Going into this new organic kind of territory after being known for being completely electronic must have been horrifying, but they've still kept that dance loop feel whilst achieving their goal of making pop music soulful and deep and challenging again. As far as collaborators go, it's a really great example of how just sampling these artists would be almost too easy, and how anyone with a laptop could do that. I think Guy and Thomas really took advantage of their position and created something special in comparison to an album like Homework which they created as kids at home, as the title suggests; whether or not one album is better than the other is irrelevant - their power in the world of modern music has been used for a really great cause in my opinion, not just profit-wise, but on a philosophically arty kind of level, they've seized the day and made something amazing.

Well this was just meant to be an expression of how much I like the track Motherboard but hey-ho.
    I couldn't agree more!

This album is taking a step forward by taking a few steps back - its a real piece of artistic realisation, and I hope they are satisfied with the sound, because I sure am.

Just a note to anyone interested, they're doing a show tonight on Kiss FM involving some mixing, their old tunes, new songs from the album and discussion about it. Its from 11.30pm.

ReputationRep:
    Paddy Power have 4/5 odds that the album will be the fastest selling album in the UK, I hope so but I doubt they'll beat Oasis with 650,000 in a week...

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Liking the album more and more everytime I listen to it..I wasn't a fan of the ending of Contact but its growing on me. I think my favourite song is Touch.

ReputationRep:
    So, when's the world tour DP ?

Oh man, I would kill to see them live.

Awesome album, awesome work. I'm very happy with the product and so far my favourite track is Give Life Back to Music but that will undoubtedly change as I listen to it again.

ReputationRep:
    I love it, it's brilliant. Just such a feel good album, really nice to listen to.

ReputationRep:
    I'm up all night to get lucky, I'm up all night to get lucky, I'm up all night to get lucky, I'm up all night to get lucky, I'm up all night to get lucky, I'm up all night to get lucky, I'm up all night to get lucky, I'm up all night to get lucky, I'm up all night to get lucky, I'm up all night to get lucky, I'm up all night to get lucky, I'm up all night to get lucky, I'm up all night to get lucky, I'm up all night to get lucky, I'm up all night to get lucky, I'm up all night to get lucky, I'm up all night to get lucky, I'm up all night to get lucky, I'm up all night to get lucky, I'm up all night to get lucky, I'm up all night to get lucky, I'm up all night to get lucky, I'm up all night to get lucky, I'm up all night to get lucky, I'm up all night to get lucky, I'm up all night to get lucky, I'm up all night to get lucky, I'm up all night to get lucky, I'm up all night to get lucky, I'm up all night to get lucky, I'm up all night to get lucky, I'm up all night to get lucky, I'm up all night to get lucky, I'm up all night to get lucky, I'm up all night to get lucky, I'm up all night to get lucky, I'm up all night to get lucky, I'm up all night to get lucky, I'm up all night to get lucky, I'm up all night to get lucky, I'm up all night to get lucky, I'm up all night to get lucky, I'm up all night to get lucky, I'm up all night to get lucky, I'm up all night to get lucky, I'm up all night to get lucky, I'm up all night to get lucky, I'm up all night to get lucky, I'm up all night to get lucky, I'm up all night to get lucky, I'm up all night to get lucky, I'm up all night to get lucky, I'm up all night to get lucky, I'm up all night to get lucky, I'm up all night to get lucky, I'm up all night to get lucky, I'm up all night to get lucky, I'm up all night to get lucky.

Basically my brain the past week.

ReputationRep:
    Oh man, this album is a grower. I mean, I liked it at first and stuff, but i'm starting to think this is better than Discovery. I wasn't too fond of Giorgio by Moroder at first, but now I think it's fantastic, the way the beat just kicks in midway through the song, mmm. Also Touch is another I didn't take to at first as I'm used to the more dancey, fun-type songs that Daft Punk put out. This one is very different, but done fantastically

Liking the album more and more everytime I listen to it..I wasn't a fan of the ending of Contact but its growing on me. I think my favourite song is Touch.
    No way! The buildup on that song is so intense; it just layers and layers and LAYERS again, and the crescendo feels like it's never going to end

ReputationRep:
    Not really listened to much of Daft Punk's stuff before (aside from the very obviously popular stuff) but I decided to download this album: was definitely worth listening to! Particularly liked Give Life Back To Music, Giorgio By Moroder, Instant Crush, Lose Yourself To Dance and Get Lucky :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rezzo)
    Oh man, this album is a grower. I mean, I liked it at first and stuff, but i'm starting to think this is better than Discovery. I wasn't too fond of Giorgio by Moroder at first, but now I think it's fantastic, the way the beat just kicks in midway through the song, mmm. Also Touch is another I didn't take to at first as I'm used to the more dancey, fun-type songs that Daft Punk put out. This one is very different, but done fantastically

No way! The buildup on that song is so intense; it just layers and layers and LAYERS again, and the crescendo feels like it's never going to end
    Aha I do agree, this album definitely grows. I'm seeing each song more as a stand-alone good track too.

It is a very tense build up, I found the end a bit freaky when I first heard it (lol was listening to it very late at night so was feeling a bit vulnerable already :lol:), but its making more and more "sense" musically to me everytime I listen to it.

ReputationRep:
    Stonking album - definitely a grower but half the tracks are painfully catchy on the first listen anyway. Beautifully crafted and a triumphant return for the guys, I think this album will be acclaimed for many years to come.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 28, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.