Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou_100)
    I guess some of my logic comes from the fact that it's a well known claim that , in general, "eating not very much very often means that when you do eat more and more often you're going to put weight back on". That's the blunt message reiterated throughout this whole thread by most.
    This is a very illogical interpretation. The interpretation I see is that when you eat more total food, you put on weight, irregardless of frequency.

I mean analyse the statement you just made: You talked about keeping frequency the same but increasing the volume of food and then conclude that the consequence of that must be due to thing that was kept the same as opposed to the thing that was varied?

That is basically the opposite of how science views these situations. The basis of scientific interpretation of empirical observation is that if you fix everything apart from one variable then any resulting change is most likely due to that variable.

Look, I'm a student and clearly not some kind of health scientist, I just gave my 2 cents to the OP and challenged a couple opinions by expressing my own and you've blown up with essays back to me and, by the looks of it, another poster too.
    I am just giving you my opinion and a basis for it. That is what discussion is. I disagreed with you and I was telling you why and pointing out what I see as major flaws in your viewpoint which to be frank, is just "I heard someone say it therefore there must be research backing it up".

If you're on TSR, you can't be some massive professional expert yourself, so why not just chill out a bit and listen to other points of view? Anyway, someone else can take this up with you if they want - am off to bed. Nuniiight.
    I am just an interested layperson, I never claimed to be an expert. On the other hand, one of the main purposes of forums is for debate and discussion.

To me, everyone just expressing their view is boring and takes the whole point out of actually typing it into a public forum. Why tell each other our own opinions without commenting on each others? Why people think what they do is just as interesting as what it is that they think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kage)
    Isn't it true that once you have built up fat cells, eating normally will just simply fill up the cells again? Once they are made, they cannot be destroyed.

That is why I think you get such things as yo-yo dieting.

Personally, I think a size 12 is perfectly fine, and if its the weight your body wants to get to, without having eaten tonnes of food more than you should, then stick with it.
    Personally, not everyone can be a healthy size 8-10. It takes a certain figure.
    This is true, however, the number of fat cells you have in your body doesn't change after it's initially set, and that's mainly influenced by maternal nutrition in embryonic development.

Yo-yo dieting is pretty simple. There's an equilibrium at a maintained weight between energy input and energy expenditure. If you reduce energy input, you lose weight. However you won't reach an equilibrium at a lower weight unless you make lifestyle changes permanent because the basal energy expenditure decreases less than the energy input. So if you o back to the normal eating pattern, you will gain weight again until your input and expenditure is once again at equilibrium.

You will only maintain lower weight if there is a long term lifestyle change.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I would advise against starving yourself in order to lose weight. I go to the gym 2-3 times a week and eat an average of 1200 calories a day, but I spread it so that one day I'll have around 1500 calories and the next I'll have 900 so it ensures that my metabolism doesn't slow down. I started doing this about 7 weeks ago I think and I went down from 8st 9 to 7st 10. Just eat healthily and maybe save up for one day a week where you eat whatever you want until you feel full. Good luck
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    'Losing weight' is a poor goal, your goal should be to be thinner or more muscular. Whilst starving yourself will make the scales drop you will not lose all your fat (infact your body will store future food as fat) whilst by doing exercise you are actively removing fat from your body via energy conversion.

My advice is eat 1500-1800 calories and simply up the exercise to at least an hour.

ReputationRep:
    You can lose weight by starvation but it's stupid and extreme. You'll lose mass, sure, but you won't lose any body fat, very likely increase it because you lose mostly muscle. And all the other nutrients you're losing out on which obviously wreaks havoc on your health.

There is the option of Intermittent Fasting and actually 'starvation mode' is a myth, humans can survive for a few days without eating. But you can't just eat loads, the meals still need to be really thought out and it requires tremendous 'willpower' or I might say obsession. I'd steer clear of it because it could distort your perception of food and weight but it's your choice. Just to put it into context the brain requires 500 calories per day to function, without that you could cause some real psychological problems.

What I'd recomend is standard diet advice: healthy meals, lots of protein and veg in particular. Calories don't matter as much as quality of nutrition, that's to say it's better to eat 3 meals plus a cake than say skipping lunch to have a craving food. Make sure you get at least 1200 cals a day, 1500 or more on workout days.
    Then frequent moderate to intense exercise the most popular being High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) or sprints.
    Also lift weights because contrary to the belief it'll make you massive and bulky it'll tone you up nicely (burn fat build lean muscle mass) in the way I assume you're hoping to achieve by losing 'weight'.

You already probably knew this but I can assure you this will make you feel a thousand times better than staravation and crash diets which as you've experienced firsthand, just makes you tired and miserable.
    Really, ditch the scale, go by how you look and how you feel, makes things so much easier, and please don't stress over this, it's not worth it x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Orange_123)
    Now before anyone jumps at me to say that this is an unhealthy way to lose weight...I KNOW! I'm aware that it's not the best way to lose weight, but i just want to lose weight really quickly at the moment. I'm going to the gym twice/three times a week, so i AM doing exercise.

I'm a UK size 12, not really sure about my weight..probably about 9 or 9 and 1/2 stones. I want to noticeably lose weight fast - i wanted to know by drinking water + going to the gym twice a week + eating one meal a day, how much can i expect to lose? and how quickly?

Has anyone else tried to lose weight by doing this? How did it work out?
    If anyone knows of other ways to properly lose weight quickly, then i'm up for listening.

Thanks.
    if i want to lose weight relatively quickly (which isnt that quick tbf), i go to the gym every day. what are you doing in there? i make so to lose around 1100 calories in there soaking my clothes in my own sweat (though id quit if i feel something wrong/hurts). admittedly, you cant trust the calorie counter on the equipment but id say it should still be a good guideline.... that way id lose around a kilo every week

and you shouldnt be just having one meal a day.... food isnt necessarily your enemy you know

other than lipo or anything else that is extreme, you have to admit to yourself that there is no quick fix... go on... admit it now :pierre:

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm aware that this may appear to be spam but please bear with me and read through my brief few lines. One of my good friends had been unwell due to AN for the past few years now and thankfully, she's strong enough to start up a petition for
    Anorexia sufferers to get intensive support at the start, rather than when they're dying.. Please spare a minute of your time to click on this link and sign the petition and/or share it to friends and family. Many thanks, Anita

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/49213

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dmon1Unlimited)
    if i want to lose weight relatively quickly (which isnt that quick tbf), i go to the gym every day. what are you doing in there? i make so to lose around 1100 calories in there soaking my clothes in my own sweat (though id quit if i feel something wrong/hurts). admittedly, you cant trust the calorie counter on the equipment but id say it should still be a good guideline.... that way id lose around a kilo every week

and you shouldnt be just having one meal a day.... food isnt necessarily your enemy you know

other than lipo or anything else that is extreme, you have to admit to yourself that there is no quick fix... go on... admit it now :pierre:
    1100 calories? what

Are you in the gym for 2 hours?

Crazy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    1100 calories? what

Are you in the gym for 2 hours?

Crazy
    1 1/4 hours

Though the number is based on the machines which are just a general guideline to how much you lose, not precise

ReputationRep:
    Nah, you need food mate.

Having a few small meals a day works though,
    Fills you up quicker.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dmon1Unlimited)
    1 1/4 hours

Though the number is based on the machines which are just a general guideline to how much you lose, not precise
    So what do you do?

Your physical fitness must be pretty good to achieve that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    So what do you do?

Your physical fitness must be pretty good to achieve that.
    No it's actually pretty crap, so I assume any impressiveness you may feel is down to the machines being generous to me, me doing long sessions to compensate for my couch potato body, or a little overestimating from you.
    I do a lot of cardio with the use of a treadmill, cross trainer (I think that's what it's called) and cycling machine.

Lost about 30kg doing this from first year to now (near the end second year), though I can't say how quickly I lost it because there was a lot of breaks during the years (work/exams/procrastination/social life getting in the way etc)

Right now, I'm just a tad bit chubby (good improvement from first year where i was 105kg) and got hit by the lazy bug. If I go all out after I finish all my work, I should hit my target and get some muscle (incorporating strength building) by the start of third year or end of second year

I made a new exercise timetable, that I hope to use next Monday

ReputationRep:
    I eat around 1200-1500 calories per day and train 5 days a week (2 for lifting and 3 for cardio). I also box and haven't noticed a major decrease in performance. I went from 180lbs to 145lbs in 4 months which is a safe rate and am still going. If your stomach is rumbling in the first few days its normal and a sign that you're doing it right, just drink water/black tea to suppress your appetite and it will go away. People really exaggerate the effects of a low calorie diet because they don't have the willpower to do it themselves.

ReputationRep:
    Been there, done that. Drives you insane. Makes you obsessed. Not eating will only make you infatuated by food and you'll end up binging because its' a novelty. And a year later, you will have gained it all back. Trust me.

ReputationRep:
    Weight loss by not eating is a pussys way out. Cutting down your calories may mean your body starts to eat itself but the real key is to create a calorie deficit while making sure you get all the other nutrients from your diet (protein, fibre and so forth). Losing weight is never easy and it is hard work, but those that think they can do it without working hard are just kidding themselves. Work hard, eat well, and the weight will fall off.

ReputationRep:
    I have done and still continue with it I went from a UK size 14 to a UK size 6 in about 2-4 months

ReputationRep:
    Be prepared to get very sick. One time you starve yourself may cause some of your essential body flora and fauna to go extinct. I would just eat less! You'll probably get a broken bone if you starve and feel worse though you may feel more socially accepted by other weight orientated people. I can get thin now after being the correct weight or overweight all my life and I'll still be okay though I may go pale I notice sometimes but I shouldn't have any long lasting health problems. Maybe diabetes when I'm older from being extremely fat when I was younger. Hehe best of luck don't be stupid.

ReputationRep:
    eat in smaller quantities more often rather than less often but in big quantities. DO NOT STARVE YOURSELF, just eat healthy

ReputationRep:
    Out of interest how long did it take you to lose that 5 stone? 7 months ago i gave birth via c-section and im finding it so hard to lose weight this time. I am on slimming world also but its taking so long to lose that half a stone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jecka82)
    Out of interest how long did it take you to lose that 5 stone? 7 months ago i gave birth via c-section and im finding it so hard to lose weight this time. I am on slimming world also but its taking so long to lose that half a stone!
    Given that the creator of this thread hasn't been active on these forums in 4 years, I doubt you'll be getting an answer to that question. Might have been wise to consider the thread date before wasting your time signing up.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 24, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.