Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

OCR B (Salters) F332 Tuesday 4th June 2013 Exam Discussion (Now Closed) watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madrevision)
    Dude when I get my A i'm gonna send you flowers and chocolate lol but seriously thank you, much appreciation
    Welcome
    Let's hope you get an A then :P this is the biggest unit so it's really worth doing well in it, as A2 is absolute hell

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=madrevision;42235731]
    (Original post by blondie24)
    So i'm currently revising atmosphere and i was doing the assignments in the storylines and am totally stuck on Assignment 11! can somebody help me please! i'll post the question as well

'In 2001, the concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere at Mauna Loa was 370ppm(by volume). The total mass of CO2 in the...

Now answer the following questions
    QUOTE]
    Do you still need help ?
    Yes please

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone

I've got the AS coursework coming up this week, and I was wondering if anybody has any tips for me? Can't afford to fail this part of the course as the rest is already screwed as it is :l

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blondie24)
    So i'm currently revising atmosphere and i was doing the assignments in the storylines and am totally stuck on Assignment 11! can somebody help me please! i'll post the question as well

'In 2001, the concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere at Mauna Loa was 370ppm(by volume). The total mass of CO2 in the atmosphere was estimated to be about 2760Gt at that tim (1 Gt= 1 gigatonne = 1 x 10^9 tonnes.)
    Through the 4 years from 2001 to the end of 2004, it is estimated that 34Gt of fossil fuels were burned throughout the world.
    In 2004 the measured % of CO2 in the atmosphere at Mauna Loa was found to be 377ppm (by volume).

Now answer the following questions:
    a Assume that the 34Gt of fossil fuels burned in the four years were all C. Calculate the mass of CO2 formed by burning this mass of fuel.
    b Calculate the new total mass of CO2 in the atmosphere at the end of 2004, assuming that the extra CO2 came only from burning fossil fuels and that it stayed in the atmosphere.
    c By what % would you expect the concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere to have increased in the 4 years?
    d By what % did the concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere actually increase in the 4 years?
    I wasn't too sure either but I got some genius to help me lol. Here you go a) CO2 has RFM 12+16+16 = 44. Percentage by mass of carbon in CO2 is 12/44 = 3/11. There are 34Gt extra carbon, which is 3/11 of total mass of CO2. 34=3/11 m >> (34x11)/3 = m = 125Gt
    b) 2760+125 = 2885Gt
    c) 125/2760 x100% = 4.53%
    d) 7/370 x100% = 1.89%

ReputationRep:
    Guys i'm thinking about making a folder with common question that come up regularly and model answers for them. Would anyone else want to use it- I just want to know if it's worth doing
    Yep! That's a brilliant idea actually.

ReputationRep:
    The AS coursework itself isn't that bad, it's the ridiculously high grade boundaries that are the problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Hotpie)
    The AS coursework itself isn't that bad, it's the ridiculously high grade boundaries that are the problem.
    Wait til you get to the A2 coursework. You will hate yourself for picking chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed, so agree with this! What did you get /60 in yours?

(Original post by nukethemaly)
    Wait till you get to the A2 coursework. You will hate yourself for picking chemistry.
    I already hate myself for picking it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheetahs56)
    Indeed, so agree with this! What did you get /60 in yours?

I already hate myself for picking it
    At the moment I think I'm on 42, assuming I get 10 on the competency. By carefully analysing past grade boundaries I make that just a C. I've still got another go at the observation though (I'm currently on 4 with that ), so I might be able to push it up to a B, but it's a big might!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, it's not letting me quote. But 42 isn't bad, especially when you have another observation, in my first one I got 5 on practical observation, in the 2nd one I got 11! So i'm sure you'll push it up, anywhere near an A is a good score and the exam is worth 50% so as long as you get an A in that it'll balance out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheetahs56)
    Sorry, it's not letting me quote. But 42 isn't bad, especially when you have another observation, in my first one I got 5 on practical observation, in the 2nd one I got 11! So i'm sure you'll push it up, anywhere near an A is a good score and the exam is worth 50% so as long as you get an A in that it'll balance out
    Yeah, that's what I'm counting on. It just feels like a horrid stain on my record since I've got As in everything so far :rolleyes:. How are you doing with it?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that's what I'm counting on. It just feels like a horrid stain on my record since I've got As in everything so far :rolleyes:. How are you doing with it?
    Mine is finished, got either 47 or 49 on it (not sure if they will give me 10 or 12 on competency yet). An A on F331, and (hopefully!!) Similar thing on F332

And keep working mate, this exam like I said is massive

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I'm doing a 3rd year as I didn't quite get the grades to go to sussex Uni for physics and I had to move college to do so. Currently the college i'm at is doing a different exam board to the one I need to take. So i am having to do independant study for this b*tch of an exam. I know it's synoptic, but can any of you just outline the main topics in this unit, can't remember from 2 years ago :confused:

ReputationRep:
    to get a b for as
    and i currently have around 88% out of 60 for f333
    and i have 67/90 for f331 (which is like 2 raw marks of an A)

what would i need in this f332 paper?

Also, how is everybody else revising for this exam? using the storylines to learn everything and then revising everything referred to in the ideas also? or just learning every chemical idea for the modules?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by NielsBohrsDad)
    to get a b for as

Also, how is everybody else revising for this exam? using the storylines to learn everything and then revising everything referred to in the ideas also? or just learning every chemical idea for the modules?
    F331: 88% of 60 = 52.8 UMS
    F333: 67 UMS

For a B, you need a total of 210 UMS.

210 - 52.8 - 67 = 90.2 UMS

So you would need 91/150 in F332 for a B overall in AS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NielsBohrsDad)
    to get a b for as

90% of storylines is pointless, so I would advise against basing your revision around that. If you have the official revision guide it tells you which bits from storylines you need to know as well as the chapters from chemical ideas

ReputationRep:
    Guys i'm thinking about making a folder with common question that come up regularly and model answers for them. Would anyone else want to use it- I just want to know if it's worth doing
    Nice idea, I'd like to have it
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    That sounds like a great idea!

ReputationRep:
    i got 56 in the coursework but an E in the exam :mad: got 12/12 on both my practicals, obviously more of a practical chemist

ReputationRep:
    when naming alkenes how are we supposed to know whether its a cyclic or non-cyclic alkene?

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.