Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Right-wing factions seeking to run debate on TSR? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear it looks like somebodies peeved at the troll brigade. The reason so many right wing threads are started on TSR is because they instigate an absolutely hilarious response from lefties who think their debating with people who generally hold the clear delusional opinion being posted by some posters. There is several members of this sight who clearly exists to provoke left-wingers but their still here, what does that tell you their provoking left-wingers.

Ignore them, they'll go away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Right now we have massive government attacks on the poor and the Tories are using the police as a tool to brutally suppress protest. A couple of years ago they used it against students in London on a massive scale and against the very popular UK Uncut tax protests - the cases arising from that are still going on. Few causes have as much popular support as the campaign to end massive tax avoidance by corporations, yet despite Coalition blather on the subject, little is being truly done to clamp down on it. Today we have the news that directors of more than 175,000 UK companies are based in tax havens. Enough money is kept in tax havens to provide for the entire government spending of the United States and Japan for a year!

TSR political threads are not reflecting this reality. Instead, we have a regular blizzard of Daily Mail-influenced thread titles, attacking so-called 'scroungers', trying to paint the poor as undeserving, attacking immigrants and all the rest of the usual far-right message that the poor and immigrants are to blame for our woes, the biggest lie of many lies that the Tories are currently telling.

This is now such a regular pattern that the UK politics forum appears to be almost dead in the water - most posters are bogged down arguing with people who appear to be wholly committed to the EDL/BNP/Ukip lines. So much so, that we must ask the question - are these organisations seeking to control debate on TSR? Is TSR willing to allow this to continue? Is it what we really want?
    They're trolls, they're not a conspiracy. And as long as people continue to engage them, and/or there is minimal moderation, there's not a lot can be done about it.

But I doubt Tory spads are trying to kill TSR debate so that the students will be disorganised when they try to crown King Cameron.

(Original post by Mazzini)
    I've kind of abandoned the UK Politics subforum for these very reasons.
    Sadly, yeah. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    They appear to have merged. There is a new far-right consensus between a number of Europhobic Tory MPs, Ukip and EDL and the consensus has moved into the Mail and Telegraph. The Daily Telegraph have even started a Kelvin MacKenzie column today! He is one of the main mouthpieces of these factions.

I am fairly certain we are seeing regular and sustained attempts by Ukip people to dominate this forum.
    Eurosceptic does not = racist. It is unfair to group UKIP with the EDL/ BNP.

ReputationRep:
    The problem is on TSR there are users of different levels of maturity and political knowledge. There are some intelligent Tories and UKIP supporters on here, Rakas, Teaddict, Tactical Penguin, some of the guys that are in the TSR libertarian party. These guys usually make fairly detailed posts with reasoned arguments.

Then there are the attention seekers who start threads on the same topic every couple of days, they rarely have much to say they just post a few lines along the lines of "Labour ruined the country", "we should cut benefits", "privatise the NHS". There is no point really responding to these threads as if you come up with any facts or figures they can't argue with it so they just start the thread again.

Then there are also the ones that start threads every couple of days along the lines of "multiculturalism is bad", "whites are becoming a minority", "look at this story of a Muslim taxi driver that raped a white girl", again this is a form of attention seeking because they always inspire outrage which is what they are trying to bait out of people.

On the furthest extreme there are a few obvious committed nazis who post links off stormfront and the BNP website, go on about the holocaust figures being an exaggeration, start threads like "Hitler helped the economy".

The reason the right wing on TSR gets such a bad rep is because most of the threads are started by these last three types. The ones that actually know about politics contribute to debate and make long posts but they aren't starting 2 or 3 threads a week which is what the attention seekers do, so most of the threads are just stupid ones and you have to sift through them to get intelligent debate.

I wouldn't really call these factions or anything organised though, apart from the Stormfront brigade. Most of them are just bored teenagers that are looking for attention by thinking its oh so cool and edgy to take a right wing stance on an issue and push it to the extreme.

ReputationRep:
    One might equally conclude that someone working for the Mail is busy on here, but I suspect from the activity patterns that it is mainly Ukip.
    This is where I disagree with you, unfortunately. I think no other external force is at work here. I think it is purely the deluded and the attention-seeker percentage users of the forum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the mezzil)
    Eurosceptic does not = racist. It is unfair to group UKIP with the EDL/ BNP.
    Except of course for Farage's association with racists like Ron Paul.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Faust)
    This is where I disagree with you, unfortunately. I think no other external force is at work here. I think it is purely the deluded and the attention-seeker percentage users of the forum.
    Maybe. I just feel it's a shame that at a time of profound attacks against the working poor (and even the middle classes actually) by a shameless Tory government, what could be part of the organising against it - TSR political forums - are being dominated daily by a load of nonsense. Perhaps the moderation needs to be stepped up a little, at least against the sheer repetition of it. Most people will take one look at all the Ukip/Daily Mail and far-right headlines and shy away.

ReputationRep:
    Yes and not just that, but repetitively reposting new threads every day with the same basic points ("immigrants suck - so do benefit scroungers and chavs") slightly rewritten and quoting the latest Daily Mail headline.

One might equally conclude that someone working for the Mail is busy on here, but I suspect from the activity patterns that it is mainly Ukip.
    I get the impression it's spoilt young adults spouting their parents opinions on benefits 'cheats' and foreigners.

It's not enough that the middle and upper classes direct their hatred toward the working classes.

The daily mail encourages poor people to chastise other poor people.

It's a sickening rag that I wouldn't even use as toilet paper.

ReputationRep:
    Right now we have massive government attacks on the poor and the Tories are using the police as a tool to brutally suppress protest. A couple of years ago they used it against students in London on a massive scale and against the very popular UK Uncut tax protests - the cases arising from that are still going on. Few causes have as much popular support as the campaign to end massive tax avoidance by corporations, yet despite Coalition blather on the subject, little is being truly done to clamp down on it. Today we have the news that directors of more than 175,000 UK companies are based in tax havens. Enough money is kept in tax havens to provide for the entire government spending of the United States and Japan for a year!

TSR political threads are not reflecting this reality. Instead, we have a regular blizzard of Daily Mail-influenced thread titles, attacking so-called 'scroungers', trying to paint the poor as undeserving, attacking immigrants and all the rest of the usual far-right message that the poor and immigrants are to blame for our woes, the biggest lie of many lies that the Tories are currently telling.

This is now such a regular pattern that the UK politics forum appears to be almost dead in the water - most posters are bogged down arguing with people who appear to be wholly committed to the EDL/BNP/Ukip lines. So much so, that we must ask the question - are these organisations seeking to control debate on TSR? Is TSR willing to allow this to continue? Is it what we really want?
    Your attitude towards this sinister 'right-wing faction' neatly encapsulates the difference between the left and right. Right wingers in general prefer reasoned debate so they can get to the heart of the issue while (hopefully) exposing their opponents flaws, leftists want to use a central power (the state, TSR) to shut their opponents down.

If you find that a lot of threads aren't to your taste why not either ignore them or find some better arguments?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AtlasCanTakeIt)
    A little unfair.

I have noticed a strong right wing presence on this forum.
    I have to disagree, I'd say there's a pretty fair split.

(Original post by Mr Faust)
    It's not the fact that it's conflicting opinions. It's just mindless ranting about ridiculous, extremist and even offensive views that have no place in the House of Commons or any respected debating group. It shouldn't be allowed on a forum for students.
    There's a couple like that, certainly not the majority. And as for offensive and mindless, I can think of 3 Left leaning members off the top of my head who I've had the displeasure of encountering like that in the last 4 days. I think this is a case of noticing them because they're of a different opinion rather than there actually being more of them.

ReputationRep:

I misjudged you as a right-wring Tory.

If you need support or help or a vote , you have my sword.

ReputationRep:
    Many of the most active UKIP people, including the MEPs and party officers, have made few efforts to disguise their racism or xenophobia.
    http://www.newstatesman.com/politics...-look-evidence

Ukip have taken over the space previously occupied by EDL and have simply become the acceptable face of modern racism.
    Yes, because the more 'respected and liberal' MP's aren't racist...:rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diane_A..._controversies

ReputationRep:
    To Quote my favourite US politician, there is right-wing conspiracy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chefdave)
    Your attitude towards this sinister 'right-wing faction' neatly encapsulates the difference between the left and right. Right wingers in general prefer reasoned debate so they can get to the heart of the issue while (hopefully) exposing their opponents flaws, leftists want to use a central power (the state, TSR) to shut their opponents down.

If you find that a lot of threads aren't to your taste why not either ignore them or find some better arguments?
    Completely asinine.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if any of you remember the live debates between Gordon Brown , Nick tuition fee Clegg, and David Cameron ?
    Mr Brown CLEARLY went on and on about the cuts the tories were going to make. He warned us of this.

You might not like Gordon Brown but you cannot deny, he did not lie.

Same old tory party.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MENDACIUM)
    I don't know if any of you remember the live debates between Gordon Brown , Nick tuition fee Clegg, and David Cameron ?
    Mr Brown CLEARLY went on and on about the cuts the tories were going to make. He warned us of this.

You might not like Gordon Brown but you cannot deny, he did not lie.

Same old tory party.
    Labour would have made cuts but the Public wants to know where they will cut instead of them spouting it is unfair, we oppose this etc.

Gordon Brown lied when he said that he abolished boom and bust

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AtlasCanTakeIt)
    I get the impression it's spoilt young adults spouting their parents opinions on benefits 'cheats' and foreigners.

It's not enough that the middle and upper classes direct their hatred toward the working classes.

The daily mail encourages poor people to chastise other poor people.

It's a sickening rag that I wouldn't even use as toilet paper.
    This is the gist of it.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe. I just feel it's a shame that at a time of profound attacks against the working poor (and even the middle classes actually) by a shameless Tory government, what could be part of the organising against it - TSR political forums - are being dominated daily by a load of nonsense. Perhaps the moderation needs to be stepped up a little, at least against the sheer repetition of it. Most people will take one look at all the Ukip/Daily Mail and far-right headlines and shy away.
    Given the moderation on this forum is generally robust I'm sure that the threads that we don't see are even more extremist and clearly designed to provoke than what we do. The mods have to strike the balance between keeping the trolls out and allowing freedom of expression which isn't easy on any forum let alone one as active as TSR. Mods can't delete somebodies posts because they hold an opinion, it actually has to conform to the rules. The problem is the many right-wing trolls on here are at experts at causing as much outrage as they can without breaking the rules.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morgsie)
    Labour would have made cuts but the Public wants to know where they will cut instead of them spouting it is unfair, we oppose this etc
    Labour would have made cuts , but done it more slowly and less aggresively.

The Tories are ruthless alligator gnaw gnashing bananas.

ReputationRep:
    Well until it is possible to get international consensus to tackle the issue of tax havens, the government has to find other ways to deal with the deficit.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.