Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Nakedness and changing rooms... Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anthony.BF)
    For everyone to see, you think people do it for everyone to see. It's quicker and more convenient, that's why people do it, not to show other men their penises.
    Doesn't matter. Fact is you are making no attempt to hide it and people are going to see. Its etiquette. Not everyone is comfortable with seeing people's dangly bits, not doing so is inconsiderate. Don't get me wrong, if you wanna get changed naked, do so. However strutting around the place, or sitting down legs wide open naked and taking your time putting your boxers on is just annoying.

See this is why I stopped going to the gym.

ReputationRep:
    I know a bloke who's one of them guys who spends as much time naked as he can. I always put boxers on quickly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bottled)
    Doesn't matter. Fact is you are making no attempt to hide it and people are going to see. Its etiquette. Not everyone is comfortable with seeing people's dangly bits, not doing so is inconsiderate.
    I

Ignorant and close minded.

It's no inconsiderate, you don't HAVE to see people's penis's, stop saying dangly bits too, are you a school boy still?

If you don't like it, change gyms, or YOU can use the cubicles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigling)
    I think it's very wrong how shameful (and always sexual?) nakedness is made out to be. What's the harm in children seeing naked adults providing the context is completely non-sexual?

Maybe if "normal" (eg: not grossly sexualised or distorted) nakedness were more out in the open, people (especially adolescents) would be less uncertain, embarassed and confused about their bodies - and maybe we'd all be less sexualised too.

I've seen naked people in communal changing areas many times. None have ever "flopped their dangly bits" in mine or anyone else's face. It's the person who turns away red-faced, shrieks, or shields their child's eyes that is causing an unnecessary scene and sending out all the wrong messages.

Fair enough if people want to maintain their own privacy, but it's just plain sad to be scandalised by the simple fact we're all just flesh and bits in the end, however we try to hide it.
    This

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SnoochToTheBooch)
    I love that swimming pool smell actually, it might even be my favourite thing to smell
    Fun fact

That smell is caused by the chemicals produced when the chlorine reacts with contaminmants in the pool, i.e. piss and sweat.

ReputationRep:
    I

Ignorant and close minded.

It's no inconsiderate, you don't HAVE to see people's penis's, stop saying dangly bits too, are you a school boy still?

If you don't like it, change gyms, or YOU can use the cubicles.
    Firstly, let's lay off the ad hominem. I have said nothing to you with the intention to insult you. Bringing my intelligence or maturity into account doesn't make your point more or less valid.

And secondly, I said 'dangly bits' to accomodate every gender as I'm on a blackberry and its late, let's stop being pedantic with the words being use.

Back on topic, I don't HAVE to see anything, however things will catch my attention, the more it stands out. Its natural for tha to happen. If a man were to walk outside in a clown suit I'd notice because he stands out the most. Try to walk into a changing room and say ' I don't wanna look at any bald person today' and see how far you get with that

I could easily say if you want to get changed naked then do it in the cubicles, however that wouldn't be fair either. There is no need to sit spread eagle naked talking to people, and the space is everyone's to use, so taking into consideration that its a public place and not everyone will appreciate your openess is being considerate, not making everyone who doesn't like what you're doing to go into a cubicle as that's selfish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Megaloblastic)
    Fun fact

That smell is caused by the chemicals produced when the chlorine reacts with contaminmants in the pool, i.e. piss and sweat.
    I can't get enough of it it

ReputationRep:
    Why do people have an issue with people who change in the open? Men AND woman. I'm a male, and I have no problem with the naked body. I just read a thread about a woman complaining about people not using cubicles, it's outrageous. There's no rules/laws or even an etiquette, as long as you stay respectful there's no problem...

I always have a laugh at the guys tripping over their towl/own legs/boxers just to try and hide something every other guy has, curling up into an uncomfortable ball in the corner, ha. Like I said, each to their own, some people are more confident than others. But to complain about it, pffft....

What do you guys think? If there's cubicles SHOULD we make use of them?

EDIT - For anyone who is interested in naturalism, I'd suggest/recommend Rio's fitness spa in Kentish Town (London).
    People who have small penises will always cover up. What's it got to do with you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    People who have small penises will always cover up. What's it got to do with you?
    Read the thread, you've got everything backwards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dragonfly07)
    My reasons for not being naked in the public changing room is that I don't know when a kid would burst in.

Also some people are very uncomfortable with nudity and I respect that. I'd go to a cubicle to change if anyone is in the changing room.

I don't have any problems with nudity of myself or other people, but I just like to think I'm being considerate.

This point about children ... I have had the ocassional young child look/stare/giggle at my *ahem* parts..... very uncomfortable at times.

ReputationRep:
    Because they are people who take this to far and start flapping it around the place for everyone to see, coming close to hitting people.

ReputationRep:
    Why do people have an issue with people who change in the open?

EDIT - For anyone who is interested in naturalism, I'd suggest/recommend Rio's fitness spa in Kentish Town (London).
    I don't have an issue with people who change in the open, or those who don't.

Rio's spa in Kentish Town is not a place I would recommend for those interested in naturism/nudism (or whatever other term you use).
    http://www.kentishtowner.co.uk/2013/...zanne-portnoy/

ReputationRep:
    I swim everyday at a pool that doesn't have cubicles in the changing room. As I'm there with my friends, I make an effort not to be naked at any point. It's very easy to not show anything if you've had practice. When it's only strangers, I'm less bothered but I'd still turn towards a wall when naked and get dressed quickly.
    As for other people, I don't cared if you're naked as long as you aren't talking to me or too close to my face...

ReputationRep:
    I've always been one to get changed in the open. I'm a lifeguard and at training, you get given about a minute to get changed - no time to faff about in changing room so small that you can barely bend down in it. That's the way it's always been and I think people just have to accept that some people are more comfortable with their bodies than others. If they don't like it, then they can get changed in a cubicle or even use a disabled changing room. I don't see why children should have to be stopped from seeing naked bodies - it's only a body after all and when you're in the swimming pool, people are practically naked anyway. I've never seen the point in protecting your child from something that's only natural and I would hate to think that my child was embarrassed or self-conscious about being naked.

EDIT: Just like to point out, OP, you're talking about naturism not naturalism. There's a very amusing story from my Mum when she was in the police and had to interview a 'naturalist' and proceeded through the whole interview assuming he went to nudist beaches.

(Original post by bottled)
    Don't get me wrong, if you wanna get changed naked, do so. However strutting around the place, or sitting down legs wide open naked and taking your time putting your boxers on is just annoying.

See this is why I stopped going to the gym.
    I agree with this. I think you should be considerate of other people's perspectives and not parade naked around the changing room or even take a shower naked (the showers at my local pool are in a row with no curtain or anything dividing them). But I would defend everybody's right to drop their towel and get changed without having to go into a cubicle.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.