Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minion)
    Conclusion....you are an idiot. Turbans are supposed to look smart and is part of sikhism while headscarf are not supposed to look smart and is part of Islam...like there are no other rulings of dress code in Islam...like I don't know...don't go dressing like a tramp and seem presentable and clean?
    sounds like you dont know - owmen are not permitted to follow any cultural principle of fashion- islam only states that they are to cover themselves up so men dont look at them, koran doesnt say anything about dressing smartly for job interviews. Sheikhs state moslem women should dress inconspicuously, not smartly or presentable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steevee)
    You're decleration that you would 'be against' it, though your clarification helps understanding.I agree with your sentiment, though I would exempt religious clothing, prayer etc from the bracket of 'discrimination.'So, you agree with me? :cool:
    on the parts about dress yes, on political views no- becuase they hold more impedment on doing a job properly than jsut how they look

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FCI)
    on the parts about dress yes, on political views no- becuase they hold more impedment on doing a job properly than jsut how they look
    I disagree, one can have any political view and still do most jobs. The issue comes when they try to express that view whilst in a work environment. Similarly, one can be a Muslim, Sikh or Jew, that holds no impediment to most work, however the expression of religion in a workplace may.

ReputationRep:
    I disagree, one can have any political view and still do most jobs. The issue comes when they try to express that view whilst in a work environment. Similarly, one can be a Muslim, Sikh or Jew, that holds no impediment to most work, however the expression of religion in a workplace may.
    then i completly disagree, i dont beleive an islamist that beleives non- moslems are 'kuffr' should be given any job in teaching in the same way a neo nazi that believes black kids are less important than white kids should either. both examples are retards

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FCI)
    then i completly disagree, i dont beleive an islamist that beleives non- moslems are 'kuffr' should be given any job in teaching in the same way a neo nazi that believes black kids are less important than white kids should either. both examples are retards
    I agree. However if there is no action upon their beliefs on their own behalfs, then nothing is changed. A man could for instance believe that all Chinese people should be put to death, but if you did not know that, and he did not show that, then there would be no impediment to his work.

ReputationRep:
    I agree. However if there is no action upon their beliefs on their own behalfs, then nothing is changed. A man could for instance believe that all Chinese people should be put to death, but if you did not know that, and he did not show that, then there would be no impediment to his work.
    If you did not know it then it wouldn't be an issue in the first place. Unless you are blind you are going to know whether somebody is wearing a Hijab.

ReputationRep:
    I wear a headscarf, just got accepted into the 4 medical schools I applied to, have 2 jobs at shops and one at a care home

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FeelingofSuccess)
    I wear a headscarf, just got accepted into the 4 medical schools I applied to, have 2 jobs at shops and one at a care home
    Well done you, busy girl

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FCI)
    i think turbans are suppossed to look smart, it is part of skiism to be presentable in public. In islam women are told to dress inconspicuously not fashionably and not draw attention, hence the hijab- it is not suppossed ot look smart, its suppossed to functional to cover the hair. islam dictates that women dont show the hair, so using an old rag would suffice, islamically.
    Scarf= covers hair turban = covers hair, dressing smart doesn't mean your trying to look attractive, it means your abiding by your works dress code and religion, wen are allowed to work in islam, and referring a scarf to a rag? Really? You really are quite ignorant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SannaS)
    Scarf= covers hair turban = covers hair, dressing smart doesn't mean your trying to look attractive, it means your abiding by your works dress code and religion, wen are allowed to work in islam, and referring a scarf to a rag? Really? You really are quite ignorant
    i thinnk you are showing ignorance of islam- i said simpy it is the hiding of female attriubtes that islam demands- it does not stae you have to hear a hijab, so that means you can wear a table cloth, as long as you stay a covered up women. there is no alloance for looking smart or presentable- In fact islam discourages women from taking thought overtheir appearance, it only requires you to do waht you can to stop men looking at you. That is quite simply that in terms of islam. then there are other islamic factors- ie that women are restircted in who they talk to and what they talk about. non moslems are not govered by all these restrictions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SannaS)
    i thinnk you are showing ignorance of islam- i said simpy it is the hiding of female attriubtes that islam demands- it does not stae you have to hear a hijab, so that means you can wear a table cloth, as long as you stay a covered up women. there is no allowance for looking smart or presentable- In fact islam discourages women from taking thought ove rtheir appearance, it only requires you to do waht you can to stop men looking at you. Islam distates woeman are not to wear makeup, display their heiar, paint nails or even pluck facial hair= so the point is not to look presentable or attractive in any way. Why do you think the Burkha is used in some moslem countries? That is quite simply that in terms of islam. then there are other islamic factors- ie that women are restircted in who they talk to and what they talk about. non moslems are not govered by all these restrictions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FCI)
    In fact islam discourages women from taking thought overtheir appearance, it only requires you to do waht you can to stop men looking at you.
    Surely a Justin Bieber haircut and a football tshirt is more likely to detract male attention

ReputationRep:
    that makes no sense, is a paedephile a good choice as a teacher so long noone else finds out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James82)
    If you did not know it then it wouldn't be an issue in the first place. Unless you are blind you are going to know whether somebody is wearing a Hijab.
    Quite true, my point was that it is not the opinion itself that is the issue, but rather action upon that belief.

(Original post by FCI)
    that makes no sense, is a paedephile a good choice as a teacher so long noone else finds out?
    So long as they do not act on their attraction and conduct themselves in a professional manner, I see no issue. How is it any more of a problem than a Hetrosexual male working in an environment with lots of women, or vunerable women?

ReputationRep:
    Quite true, my point was that it is not the opinion itself that is the issue, but rather action upon that belief. So long as they do not act on their attraction and conduct themselves in a professional manner, I see no issue. How is it any more of a problem than a Hetrosexual male working in an environment with lots of women, or vunerable women?
    then clearly your opinon differs to mine on right and wrong, as it also does with uk law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FCI)
    then clearly your opinon differs to mine on right and wrong, as it also does with uk law.
    Perhaps I should clarify, obviously there is a greater risk with such a person, but so long as there is no action upon the urge, then there is no issue. I would have thought that is something we could agree upon.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 7, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.