Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I don't think I could live with the guilt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slumpy)
    This is practically a criticism of naive game theory.

Edit: Also, split.
    How so?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slumpy)
    This is practically a criticism of naive game theory.

Edit: Also, split.
    Split is logically a bad decision. No advantage in it.

(Original post by sugar-n-spice)
    I would bring a checkbook into the game, announce I will steal whatever they say and tell them to split, whip out the checkbook and write a check for half the money.
    Someone did something similar. Announced they were going to steal no matter what, but that they would give the opponent half the winnings afterwards. Left the opponent with basically no option, as if he stole as well they got a guaranteed nothing, so better to take the chance with the split and hope he kept his word. The guy who said he would steal actually split, so they shared it. Great play.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spocckka)
    How so?
    Because the outcome is clearly non-optimal, if both players are 'rational'. See also the prisoner's dilemma.

(Original post by M1011)
    Split is logically a bad decision. No advantage in it.
    If you assume your opponent is rational, it makes no difference, you get nothing. So in that case it comes down to an emotional decision as to whether you would prefer them to get something or nothing, thus no advantage in steal.

ReputationRep:
    Steal, I do not know the other person!

ReputationRep:
    Tell them you're definitely going to steal so they split, then actually split so you end up getting half each

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)

This is the worst one.
    Lool absolute *****, the guy was a nice person as well I thought he should have got a split, I love watching the reactions though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imperial_Maniac)
    Or just split. There's a vid of someone doing it like that.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    If you do that though, the other guy is actually in an optimal position because you are very sure he will split, which is what everyone wants to convince the other person of.

ReputationRep:
    People who steal are worthless
    End off!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2309903

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .JJ)
    Four outcomes:
    Split: you have nothing, opposition has everything
    Split:You have half, opponent has half
    Steal: You have nothing, opposition has nothing
    Steal: You have everything, opposition has nothing

Logic says steal.
    You have to remember everyone else is saying steal too. That increases the likelihood of the "nothing" outcome in Steal, and it will presumably stabilise such that you win "everything" only half as often as you win "half".

Prisoner's dilemma: paralysing rational people since 1950. And allowing irrationality to rule the world!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robbie242)
    Lool absolute *****, the guy was a nice person as well I thought he should have got a split, I love watching the reactions though
    Why do ALL Welsh men look like that?!

ReputationRep:
    Split

It's a win-win

If they choose steal, I have proven my integrity on national television (which I would still benefit from) and they have made themselves look like a selfish ****

If they choose split, we both get loads of money as well

ReputationRep:
    Always steal, petty cash isn't my sort of thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redolent)
    Split

It's a win-win

If they choose steal, I have proven my integrity on national television (which I would still benefit from) and they have made themselves look like a selfish ****

If they choose split, we both get loads of money as well
    Bit unfair to call someone a selfish **** for being good at the game that you agreed to play against them.

ReputationRep:
    Genius.

ReputationRep:
    steal , and then pay the other person half with a cheque, it would suck to go home with nothing and watching them take it all when i get nothing would be even worse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchesterunited15)
    Bit unfair to call someone a selfish **** for being good at the game that you agreed to play against them.
    Trying to steal someone else's winnings seems pretty selfish to me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redolent)
    Trying to steal someone else's winnings seems pretty selfish to me!
    It's not their winnings! They haven't won anything... To win any money involves being cleverest in the split or steal situation.

It's a game, and you don't win the game until you've finished it with some money. It's ridiculous how people are being criticized for essentially being good players of the game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchesterunited15)
    It's not their winnings! They haven't won anything... To win any money involves being cleverest in the split or steal situation.

It's a game, and you don't win the game until you've finished it with some money. It's ridiculous how people are being criticized for essentially being good players of the game.
    If you agree to split it 50/50, and then decide not to do so because you see an opportunity to take their share without repercussions, then you are being selfish.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.