Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryanb97)
    https://www.edx.org/course/mit/8-mre...ics-review/748

are you going to do AFM next year?? -- in need someone who is..i dont want to be a loner !
    AQA doesn't offer it so nope... I might have the actual modules... But not the actual qualification

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    :awesome:

Chem, Maths, Physics and Earth Sciences for me
    Haha, fair enough, I'd prefer earth sciences to chemistry since it sounds interesting :cool:

ReputationRep:
    well...that does look good!

F1 is something i was looking into..but im thinking of Planes tbh.... but F1 might be better...hmmm
    but im not sure if i would like civil?? - thats good too

it is..but i think that it is supposed to be taken after 'american' college... which i think is around the start of year 13...so it is stuff that is 1/2 years ahead..but the way they set it all out is really good!

e.g. the load of youtube clips...
    Attachment 223898
    That Southampton course is really customisable, you have a large selection of modules you can do. So you could get into the car industry, plane industry (is it even called that?), the space industry etc with this course.

ReputationRep:
    "introductory calculus and vector calculus are helpful."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BP_Tranquility)
    Haha, fair enough, I'd prefer earth sciences to chemistry since it sounds interesting :cool:
    :awesome: basically each part is one a level... Likr chem = chem etc

Earth science = geography

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andersson)
    I doubt we'd ever know we knew each other online though.

Maths/FM - Edexcel
    Chem/Phys - OCR A

So we can't work together for physics.
    I'm on OCR A for Chem and Phys but AQA for Maths and FM.

ReputationRep:
    Is the hydration of ethene (ethene+water-->ethanol) reversible?

Because in the specification, the arrow indicates it isn't reversible but in my revision guide, the reaction is reversible (since you just need to 'dehydrate' the ethanol to get ethene and water)?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is the hydration of ethene (ethene+water-->ethanol) reversible?

Because in the specification, the arrow indicates it isn't reversible but in my revision guide, the reaction is reversible (since you just need to 'dehydrate' the ethanol to get ethene and water)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    In my revision guide it isn't reversible. (CGP)

ReputationRep:
    In my revision guide it isn't reversible. (CGP)
    Ah, okay, thanks

My revision guide said "fermentation has a higher percentage yield [than hydration] as it is not a reversible reaction" which I guess makes sense, since hydration, if it were reversible, would cause the backward reaction to increase with heat, reducing percentage yield as the amount of product would decrease... :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Ah, okay, thanks

My revision guide said "fermentation has a higher percentage yield [than hydration] as it is not a reversible reaction" which I guess makes sense, since hydration, if it were reversible, would cause the backward reaction to increase with heat, reducing percentage yield as the amount of product would decrease... :cool:
    Except it doesn't make sense, because hydration isn't reversible.

ReputationRep:
    https://www.edx.org/course/mit/8-mre...ics-review/748

are you going to do AFM next year?? -- in need someone who is..i dont want to be a loner !
    I'm doing AQA so sadly can't. Also I don't really understand what you have to do for the edx, could you briefly explain it to me please?

ReputationRep:
    Except it doesn't make sense, because hydration isn't reversible.
    Ahh, but if you add water to ethene to make ethanol, surely you should be able to remove the water ("dehydrate") from the ethanol to separate it back into ethene and water? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, but if you add water to ethene to make ethanol, surely you should be able to remove the water ("dehydrate") from the ethanol to separate it back into ethene and water? :rolleyes:
    Wouldn't you class that as a different reaction altogether? Haha, maybe it's GCSE level oversimplifying things.

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't you class that as a different reaction altogether? Haha, maybe it's GCSE level oversimplifying things.
    You guys are annoying me...

http://www.chemguide.co.uk/physical/...a/ethanol.html

:lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    You guys are annoying me...

http://www.chemguide.co.uk/physical/...a/ethanol.html

:lol:
    That confirms it, GCSE oversimplification! :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah probably lol :laugh:
    The specification uses the normal arrow and not the reversible one so I guess we have to learn that.

However, from the link L'Evil Fish posted:
    "Ethanol is manufactured by reacting ethene with steam. The reaction is reversible, and the formation of the ethanol is exothermic."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Red Fox)
    I'm doing AQA so sadly can't. Also I don't really understand what you have to do for the edx, could you briefly explain it to me please?
    its a bit like taking an open university module... but you dont have to pay

its just a module that an american university...e.g. MIT/Berkeley ... have so that you can do it too... if that makes sense

i think you can do 8.0.mechanics review...im doing currently

make a account and just have a look round... you can drop a course at any time..do another course at any time..although you do have to wait for the course to start..

hope that helps

Ryan

ReputationRep:
    its a bit like taking an open university module... but you dont have to pay

its just a module that an american university...e.g. MIT/Berkeley ... have so that you can do it too... if that makes sense

i think you can do 8.0.mechanics review...im doing currently

make a account and just have a look round... you can drop a course at any time..do another course at any time..although you do have to wait for the course to start..

hope that helps

Ryan
    Thanks mate, I'm going to register now. Is it worth much in the UK or is it just a bit of fun?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Red Fox)
    Thanks mate, I'm going to register now. Is it worth much in the UK or is it just a bit of fun?
    well its a module from MIT .. or Harvard.. i think it will be worth something

oh and its

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    well its a module from MIT .. or Harvard.. i think it will be worth something

oh and its

Spoiler:
    Show
    Happy birthday edx!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.